63%
not to invest
38%

Total votes: 16
jetskier
Tribal Elder

marques

Post by jetskier » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:52 pm

was thinking that now we only have 1 marque,and find it hard to lug the other about to meets,lets invest in a couple of pop up gazebos,with removable sides,but decent ones.with dept stores closing down all around now is the time to snap up those bargains.they are small enough wwhen down to transport around,and easier to store,and quicker to put up and take down.we could keep the one we have still just for south lakes events were big no.s are the norm,thats if di is ok on looking after it still.
we have the money off the other marque h sold and some funds in the n/w & yorky fund,dont now how much yet,but i have seen these selling for under £50.
its only a suggestion,what do other peeps think?
" if you carnt bongo,then PARTY"
NMOAD
Harry
Supreme Being

Re: marques

Post by Harry » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:28 am

Just over 100 pounds in fund.
http://watcherswildlife.co.uk

Towing a shed with a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:55 pm

Do you mean marquee as in a tent, rather than marque as in "a model or brand of a specific product especially an automobile" :?
jetskier
Tribal Elder

Post by jetskier » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:16 pm

god i wish b/f had spell check so i dont look like an idiot any more.silly me :evil: :evil: :evil:

well thats good h,but what do you think,easier on the whole,alot off peeps who end up puttin it up an down surely
NMOAD
Harry
Supreme Being

Post by Harry » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:47 pm

Had a long think about this.

Background: When we kicked the North West up the backside just over five years ago we identified the need for acentral meeting place at meets. I loaned my business marquee initially but eventually sold it to the NW 'fund'.

The fund is VERY unofficial but has been saved up (and spent) through donations from peeps attending meets. It is intended for paying out of pocket expenses for those organising activities at meets, buying and repairing NW 'kit', prizes for competitions and generally helping to make meets better. No hard and fast rules. I currently look after the pot, keep a record of the balance and generally try not to get too rich on the investment intrest. The balance is currently £106-67p

The original Marquee was a 6m x 3m Gala Tent with ground bars and although anexcellent 'party tent' it was a right bugger to store, transport and put up. It was becoming very well worn having done at least 15 bongo meets in all weathers including hurricanes and floods. I flogged it to the campsite at Silverdale where it is now a permanant fixture.

The second marquee (5m x 3m) also has a big heavy frame and was purchased when we were getting around 35 - 40 bongos (about 70 peeps) at meets. It has hardly been used due to the problems with transport and storage and the slightly lower attendances at most meets these days. Di iskindly storing it at Milnthorpe. It is available for anyone organising a NW or Yorkshire meet.

Chris & Jo (Pixie and the Moon) have kindly been providing a popup marquee at the last few meets in T'north but we can't be sure that this will be available long term. It has provided stirling service but is easily damaged in the wind.

I've ticked the yes box in the poll but only on the basis that someone is prepared to store and possibly transport the gazebos to meets. Bear in mind that they often have to be re-erected to dry out before being stored. Also such a purchase will leave nothing in reserve in 'club' funds.

cheers
H 8)
http://watcherswildlife.co.uk

Towing a shed with a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:45 am

jetskier wrote:god i wish b/f had spell check so i dont look like an idiot any more.silly me :evil: :evil: :evil:

well thats good h,but what do you think,easier on the whole,alot off peeps who end up puttin it up an down surely

So is Andex,but no worries Dave,I knew what you meant,spell check not needed.......Ive voted no by the way,I think we can manage with the one we have and a few Gazebos added too it if required.
But if the majority vote to buy,Ill happily chip in again if required

Brian

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Diane
Bongolier

Post by Diane » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:04 pm

I'm not sure what's best really. The pop up gazebo's are great to put up and down but I'm not sure they would withstand some of the weather we tend get on the meets. Although saying that, the meets seem few and far between nowadays ....... or is it just that I don't attend as many :-? :-? :-?
The marquee we have in the garage does need sussing out a bit. When we put it up at Windermere it was rather challenging (to jetskier :lol: ) as we were out of practice putting that model up. We need to put it up in the garden here as I seem to think we needed to work out the door situation with it. I'm happy to to make sure its all there although we might need to buy a piece to make it work. We're OK to bring it to any meet we're actually attending as long as the eriba is coming too, which means we'll have space in the bongo. I reckon this marquee is probably easier to get in the bongo as it's in so many bits, rather than the pop ups being quite bulky? As long as peeps all pitch in at meets where possible, I don't see a problem using this one.
But if the decision is made to buy pop ups can we not sell this one to give us some funds?

So I guess I'm voting no. Although I may change my mind after erecting this one in the garden in the next couple of weeks................. :roll:

Cheers
Di
:)
jetskier
Tribal Elder

Post by jetskier » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:58 pm

well i havent voted yet but cant believe only 8 peeps have bothered to poll and give an opinion,there was over twenty who bought the marquees in the first place,everyone who chipped in should have a say,come on an have ur say all who have chipped in.
you got a couple of good points there di,but the beauty of these is ya can take them down in 5 mins if windy,and just as quick to put back up.they would be great coz not as big and more portable,could of had them up the top at windermere,and then took them down the lake aswell when havin the barby,just eaiser on the hole.but thats my say.
we wouldnt have to sell the one we have di,we can keep it aswell for meets were we know a big turn out,just not worth puttin up for 5 or bongos.
NMOAD
hatris
Tribal Elder

Post by hatris » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Well, we was going to keep quiet and just go with the flow, but seems you insist. We wondered if they would be of much use as we got the impression that a lot of sites won't tolerate them. We did wonder why they don't like them. When at Buxton Harry's bongo was damaged with the marquee, we thought we had got off lightly in terms of liability. Were would we stand if either a marquee or a gazebo caused damage to either site property or another camper or their property? On the other hand we have always thought that the marquee allows the group to be sociable. We have always been grateful to Harry and Diane for taking responsibility for the storage and erecting of the marquee, we owe them big thanks. We've already got our coats on.
jetskier
Tribal Elder

Post by jetskier » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:17 pm

trish i know what you mean about damage,but you can let these down on a night and slide them under the bongo,its a bit like having a roll out canopy,ya roll it up if ya think its going to be windy,i do
NMOAD
blobber
Supreme Being

Post by blobber » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:23 pm

I voted.
Alan & Dot

Yes sir, I can Bongo !!

I now walk with an angel by my side.
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:17 am

i am happy to chip in.
mobilecat
Supreme Being

Post by mobilecat » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:19 pm

Well I won't be able to make use of it BUT as I did contribute, I have decided I can have an opinion!!!

In my opinion - you should do whatever you think best #-o
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:15 pm

Is it possible to add a third option for those who won't get off the fence :?

How many times do we reckon we used it last year, then if we remember places like Haworth where they let us use the clubhouse, and places where maybe we would have used an E-Z Up had there been one available. I don't mind either way, I'll chip in if the consensus is to buy new, or help out with transport/storage/putting up (note the crafty avoidance of using the word 'erection' :twisted: ) if that is the way we decide to go :wink:
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:56 pm

I voted.
Lost without my Bongo.

Return to “North West”