ACSI campsite guide

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

dvisor
Supreme Being

ACSI campsite guide

Post by dvisor » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:29 pm

I've seen a few good reviews of ACSI on this site, but I'm wondering if it's worth getting one simply for the guide. Most of our forthcoming trip will be during high season, so I probably won't have much used for the card itself; but we will be taking in several European countries and want a list of sites we can work our way around. I understand that the ACSI sites are usually of a reasonable quality with clean facilities and showers (is that the case?). We don't intend having internet access, and don't want to plan too much in advance. Also, Sat Nav POIs don't really give enough information. So a book is what we need, but a trip to Waterstones wasn't very successful. What do you think - is it worth splashing out on the ACSI guide?

I see they also have a DVD of about 9000 sites - but I want to get away from the laptop for a while.
Two tonne tin drum
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Re: ACSI campsite guide

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Have a look on here - http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/ all sorts of guides to suit all sorts of tastes :wink:
The ACSI sites I've been on have always been pretty good, usually you can use the ACSI card when you register too, instead of leaving your passport with them.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:05 am

missfixit70 wrote:Have a look on here - http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/ all sorts of guides to suit all sorts of tastes :wink:
The ACSI sites I've been on have always been pretty good, usually you can use the ACSI card when you register too, instead of leaving your passport with them.
Thanks Kirsty - we're trying to keep the amount of stuff we are taking with us down to a minimum, so looking for a single book we can use if we get stuck knowing where to find a cluster of sites that may have availability. I thought ACSI was more popular, but lack of response indicates otherwise.
Two tonne tin drum
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:08 pm

Mebe everyone is off using them :wink: I know at least one couple that are :wink:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:13 pm

Turned out to be a few quid very well spent. We were away for 19 nights through France, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco, Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium without any real prior planning about where to go (other than a general idea). We used the ACSI map to locate clusters of sites the night before travelling (indicating something probably of interest in the area), and then chose one of the sites based on the write up in the book. We stayed at 14 different campsites and every one of them met or exceeded our expectations. Came across some real crackers too. Managed to get discount at one or two sites (even though most of the holiday was in high season) to help offset the cost of the ACSI card. Didn't have to book any of the sites in advance, all the sites had a few pitches available when we arrived.
Two tonne tin drum
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:49 pm

There is an Android app for these sites now.....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks, the Android app looks good. Hopefully the new version which doesn't require an Internet connection will be released before we go away next year.
Two tonne tin drum

Return to “Going Abroad”