Lookin for my first Bongo - help please!

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Lookin for my first Bongo - help please!

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:41 am

Good points being made here. I think the Bongos MPV versatility is its unique selling point: in that sense, it is a Tardis. Start putting conversions in and its versatiliy gets compromised.

BUT, I still think a converted Bongo can make a lot of sense. For a single person, or a couple, it can offer adequate cooking and sleeping space, and you still get a compact, easy to drive (down narrow lanes etc.), very well featured vehicle, at a good price, and that is still a stress free everyday car (MPG excepted!). It's fine also for families as long as they accept the absolute need to put up a decent side awning on site. This in turn puts pressure on storage space inside the Bongo, so a trailer or back-box make sense. A covered trailer is best I think as it is v. quickly detached on site and can be used for storage once camping gear is set up, plus it can keep all the camping gear packed and ready for immediate departure. It could be argued of course that once you've had to accept all that, you might as well have a Berlingo (and its much better fuel economy) as the tow vehicle :roll:

But the Bongo is a beautiful (and very useful) creature, and that's why I'd be reluctant to give mine up. Some people have dogs - I have my Bongo 8)
rapiddescent
Bongolier

Post by rapiddescent » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:05 pm

Welshcav wrote:
Did you see my poorly white over silver AFT getting the turbo sorted?

Karl
yeah I did! saw the mountain biking stickers (mine has them too of course). Mine is the other white over gray (but older shape) van parked next to yours getting a brand new (proper) radiator.
Ford Freda owning mountain biker dude
Klikchik
Bongonaut

Post by Klikchik » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:03 pm

I have to say, Chrissy and Frank, Im a bit of a tidy control freak and dont know if I can 'do' cardboard boxes!!!

This quest was meant to be a step up from wild camping (fed up waking in the rain and having to fold up a soggy tent!) maybe I need to get my head back to basics and stop getting carried away! :lol:

Now VWs, havent even gone there!!!!!! :shock:

KT

Klikchik ;)
lpgimports
Bongolier

Post by lpgimports » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:27 am

Hi

Personally in your position of stepping up from wild camping and wanting somewhere dry you will have all the lightweight cooking and sleeping bits and bobs and if you buy a unconverted bongo you can then use it as a dry sleeping area and then use your existing gear then think about what you will actually use in the Bongo, then possibly decide you only need a few mods rather than go whole hog and buy a nice side converted version which is really nice but over speced and over cost to your budget. Maybe a leisure battery/lights/charge points and a night heater then if you really want to go down the conversion route you could have it done mid winter when you can always negotiate a better price.

Paul
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:46 am

lpgimports wrote:Hi

Personally in your position of stepping up from wild camping and wanting somewhere dry you will have all the lightweight cooking and sleeping bits and bobs and if you buy a unconverted bongo you can then use it as a dry sleeping area and then use your existing gear then think about what you will actually use in the Bongo, then possibly decide you only need a few mods rather than go whole hog and buy a nice side converted version which is really nice but over speced and over cost to your budget. Maybe a leisure battery/lights/charge points and a night heater then if you really want to go down the conversion route you could have it done mid winter when you can always negotiate a better price.

Paul
That's exactly what I would do. Night heaters can be a bit noisy and seem to overheat the occupants even on the lowest setting, so check that one out carefully as others say a really good quality sleeping bag does the job in all weathers. Setting up your Bongo based on your own findings and needs can be really good (cheap) fun. 8)
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:46 am

With Paul on this one.(and Mike) We used to do lightweight camping so have good tents and kit generally. We have a Stimson Explorer kit which always sits in the van to allow us to cook out of the tailgate, or to be lifted into a tent if required due to weather or midges! We also store our plates etc in large plastic storage boxes under the mid seat. (easy to get to) We generally sleep in the tent and use the van as a living room and a dining room. Best of both worlds, and you don't loose your pitch when you go off to do stuff. If you want a quick over night stop the van can accomodate all 4 of us (two adults + 2 Kids) but you can end up shifting gear around all over the place if you have 'taken too much stuff' Using the van like this has saved two week long holidays in Scotland from being a complete wash out to being a bit of a laugh, playing cards, watching DVD's etc with the kids and waiting for the rain to pass over(whilst watching other tent campers scuttling around in the rain).

:D
hotcrossbunny
Bongonaut

Post by hotcrossbunny » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:21 am

I bought mine from Dairsie and found them really helpful.We were shown all sorts of kitchen and sleeping options and given the choice of one all ready converted or wait for one done to our own speck.We were also shown a few used converted and bought ours ,which had only been used a couple of times.It has the high top which we thought would be better for the children as we go on a lot of scottish isle which can be a bit windy and when trying them out found it was quieter up in the roof than the others.The children are 11 and 13 and both easily fit up there, they sleep in selks on a thick duvet.It also has a very large "upstairs" storage cupboard.We use the bed with the rear facing 3 seater seat folded down to the 2 front seats,i have a roll of memory foam in a single duvet cover over the seats and hubby just uses a couple of cushions to even out the bed.It also has the kitchen at the rear with an extra seat to the table.If 5 of us go away we put a box in the back and the smallest sleeps in the middle downstairs.We did go to a few places to look but found Dairsie most helpful.
buntytw26

Post by buntytw26 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Klikchick, where did you see the van you describe in your first post?

We went to see one by that description in Aberdeen and the fact it was a tintop put us off, especially when quoted around £2750 to convert! Oh and the fact that someone suggested that a van that age with mileage that low is not likely to be genuine, as in clocked on route from Japan.

So, I popped down to see Bill at Campercraft in Fife last Friday and bought the one he was selling for a customer. I did see a nice white/grey can that looked surf/bike like. I bought his black 1995 AFT 2.5 diesel. Partly converted and just aobut ticks all the boxes for us. Just getting an electric hook up added and off we trot into the sunset.
Welshcav

Post by Welshcav » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:09 pm

buntytw26 wrote:Klikchick, where did you see the van you describe in your first post?

We went to see one by that description in Aberdeen and the fact it was a tintop put us off, especially when quoted around £2750 to convert! Oh and the fact that someone suggested that a van that age with mileage that low is not likely to be genuine, as in clocked on route from Japan.

So, I popped down to see Bill at Campercraft in Fife last Friday and bought the one he was selling for a customer. I did see a nice white/grey can that looked surf/bike like. I bought his black 1995 AFT 2.5 diesel. Partly converted and just aobut ticks all the boxes for us. Just getting an electric hook up added and off we trot into the sunset.
My white grey aft with bike rack and awning was there friday was probably mine did it have black and chrome alloys and side conversion?
buntytw26

Post by buntytw26 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:20 pm

Now you are asking. Did have a bike rack right enough and looked smart. Was it the Fiamma awning thing? I think I did look in the windows and probably dribbled a bit, sorry!

If it was yours it was the nicest one there :mrgreen: (apart from mine, of course :wink:
Welshcav

Post by Welshcav » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:29 pm

buntytw26 wrote:Now you are asking. Did have a bike rack right enough and looked smart. Was it the Fiamma awning thing? I think I did look in the windows and probably dribbled a bit, sorry!

If it was yours it was the nicest one there :mrgreen: (apart from mine, of course :wink:
Yes Fiamma pull out awning, still up there with Turbo problems!!!
buntytw26

Post by buntytw26 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:36 pm

Oh dear, not good then. I hope Bill can fix it for you soon.

I am hoping we can get our in a week or two. I need to sell my Polo but I can buy the van before that but helps to get rid of one before we get another.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:15 pm

Klikchik wrote:I have to say, Chrissy and Frank, Im a bit of a tidy control freak and dont know if I can 'do' cardboard boxes!!!

Cardboard boxes tend not to rattle or squeak!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Klikchik
Bongonaut

Post by Klikchik » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:29 pm

Cardboard boxes tend not to rattle or squeak!

I wonder if I could get 'nice' ones, lol!!!

serious bongo searching on the cards......going to campercraft, dairsie and dicksons tomorrow!! (time permitting!!!)

Klikchik ;)
PixieAndTheMoon
Supreme Being

Post by PixieAndTheMoon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:08 am

Hi Diplomat,

or though I don't think you are a Bongo Diplomat. A coach built Bongo is sheer luxury compared to a cardboard box or milk carton containers let alone VW's we are trying to flog two VW's the blighters. My Chris tries to sell the VW's then shows off our Bongo and the punters walk away! Next time we have some interest in them I will drive our girl out of the scene lol. We have had a Bongo for longer than we have been on this site she is as personally comfortable and as big or small as we care to make her. Chris looks at other "motorhomes" but I tend to find the negatives in them, such as drivable in the lakes as we are or they are two wheel drive which do kind of get stuck sometimes, and "Do we really need that"?

OK I totally LOVE our girl other reason's behind my infatuation also.

I hope she is listening as I type lol

Jo

Return to “Scotland”