Bongo broken into - Edinburgh

Malandro

Bongo broken into - Edinburgh

Post by Malandro » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:27 pm

I'm not on here often though thought I'd post a warning here given what the police have just told me.

Our Bongo was broken into, sometime since last Sunday when we last drove it. It was parked outside our garage in a quiet cul-de-sac. They'd broken into fairly easily (as anyone could really) and completely mangled the stop lock on the steering wheel before smashing the cowling below the ignition to get at the electrics. The police were surprised they didn't manage to get it going but it appears they have completely stuffed it up, the steering lock is broken and its now completely undriveable. Won't even start.

The police say several vans of this age (1999) have been stolen in Edinburgh recently. Not because they are campervans but because they are easily nicked and can be used to store and transport stolen goods.

So far the insurance company have been unhelpful and they want us to get our own quotes for repairs. So where is best? I'm kind of thinking I need to improve the security on the van too....I would put it in the garage but there is too much other crap in there already so really it needs to be outside all the time. Any ideas?
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo broken into - Edinburgh

Post by MountainGoat » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:15 pm

PM sent

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
billibongo

Post by billibongo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:41 pm

You are NOT alone! We get on average one a month, usually stolen around Edinburgh and I'm convinced it's the same crew as the damage is always the same...punched out door lock, busted steering lock, steering rack bent, ignition barrel intact but electric harness cut and plastic shroud broken. We're just finishing off repairing this week's victim, and as well as repairing the damage, we've fitted an alarm/immobilser which also activates the central locking so the van is keyless entry, and blanked out and repainted the driver's door lock so the chances of this Bongo being nicked again ( we've had one nicked 3 times) are much less, and you don't need a handbag to carry round all the sets of keys.
If you don't want your Bongo stolen you have to think like a criminal. Not that I'm a criminal, I just think like one.
Welshcav

Post by Welshcav » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:31 pm

billibongo wrote:You are NOT alone! We get on average one a month, usually stolen around Edinburgh and I'm convinced it's the same crew as the damage is always the same...punched out door lock, busted steering lock, steering rack bent, ignition barrel intact but electric harness cut and plastic shroud broken. We're just finishing off repairing this week's victim, and as well as repairing the damage, we've fitted an alarm/immobilser which also activates the central locking so the van is keyless entry, and blanked out and repainted the driver's door lock so the chances of this Bongo being nicked again ( we've had one nicked 3 times) are much less, and you don't need a handbag to carry round all the sets of keys.
If you don't want your Bongo stolen you have to think like a criminal. Not that I'm a criminal, I just think like one.

I,ll remember that quote, Bill " It wisnae me" Convery!!!

Karl
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:21 am

This received overnight from GT in Danderhall:

I mentioned in February that my van had been stole. They were back on Tuesday! This time I had a heavy duty steering wheel lock in and it was parked in my garden behind a gate, under the flood light and within feet of my bedroom window.
They still took it altho didn't get far as they couldn't steer it. The steering wheel was completely trashed.
Looks like the same gang as last time and they are v determined. I anticipate another attempt in due course so am having to think hard about whether I can keep the van. Meantime I am getting a wheel clamp and have padlocked the gate.I am having a dead switch put on the cut off fuel and am looking at what kind of alarm might be installed. I may also get one of your vehicle covers. The trouble is that in the face of such determination the more security features the more damage! Feeling very sad but thought you might want to let others in the Lothians area know to increase awareness.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
bimbobongo

Post by bimbobongo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:53 am

the first thing i did when i got my bongo was fit a cat 1 thatcham alarm ,im wondering if this is enough now ?
maybe need the electric seats fitted
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:31 am

Although I don't live in Edinburgh and live in a good area I put a wheel clamp on mine when I go away in my Jeep, better safe than sorry. The wheelclamp acts as a visual deterent making the scavs go elsewhere looking for something easier to steal, Towsure sell suitable wheel clamps.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Although I live in a relatively "good" area, we have a local arsonist who burned out a disabled man's adapted Land Rover a few months ago. Not enough evidence to charge the person apparently, so he remains a risk to everyone.

Faced with someone determined and without rational behaviour, the local police recommended CCTV cameras. These will not stop the idiot doing damage, but will act as a deterrent since there is evidence of what has happened and who did it.

Mine are visible to act as a deterrent and record anyone near the house or the Bongo. The poor man who was attacked has visible cameras plus hidden ones under the eves of the house. Not a nice thing to have to live with, but they have already filmed one potential attack.

We have had a few burglaries and a car theft over the years where the police know exactly who did it but could not pass the CPS threshold of evidence to make charges. A film of the whole incident does help and most scrotes know this.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
mikel

Post by mikel » Fri May 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Our Bongo was stolen last week from the Abbeyhill area. Police don't seem too bothered.
binky

Post by binky » Fri May 13, 2011 2:33 pm

My insurance company insisted on a Thatcham Class 1 alarm and immobiliser, it's being fitted next week.

If they are determined, thieves will get in and try to start it. Simple steering wheel & handbrake locks are no deterrent, a hacksaw will cut through the steering wheel in less than 30 seconds. Handbrake locks are almost worthless as the handbrake cables can be cut underneath the van.

My Bongo lives at a 'secure' caravan storage depot, but I don't leave the starter battery or main coil HT lead in it.

Disklocks, wheel clamps and a loud alarm seem to be needed. SMS trackers are relatively cheap these days, too. If it's possible, fit a locking post in front of the parking space.

Bongos can be opened in less than a minute without punching the door locks. They are really insecure. There's another thread about Essex low life dragging Bongos away on low-loaders and breaking them for spares.

And every scrote in the Western world has access to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1QtoCDXyVs
mikel

Post by mikel » Fri May 13, 2011 4:01 pm

binky wrote:My insurance company insisted on a Thatcham Class 1 alarm and immobiliser, it's being fitted next week.
Yes, how I'm regretting I didn't ask my insurance company for advice (although I probably would have balked at spending the money). I fear the worst in that we've seen the last of our Bongo. :(
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Fri May 13, 2011 4:13 pm

I hope they aren't smart enough to read this post and see what security measures people plan fitting! :shock:
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
binky

Post by binky » Fri May 13, 2011 4:37 pm

mikel wrote:
binky wrote:My insurance company insisted on a Thatcham Class 1 alarm and immobiliser, it's being fitted next week.
Yes, how I'm regretting I didn't ask my insurance company for advice (although I probably would have balked at spending the money). I fear the worst in that we've seen the last of our Bongo. :(
I think unless they burn or wreck it you might get it back. ANPR picks up a lot of 'odd' vehicles these days.

A Thatcham Class 1 alarm and immobiliser costs around £250 or less fitted by an approved installer, more if the remote is hooked up to door locks. A Class II immobiliser only is about £150 or less fitted. They don't stop people with tow-trucks, though.

Fit as much security as you can, I think. If you have a good alarm and the lights and window stickers they can dissuade drive-away thieves. The doors can be opened with a filed down hacksaw blade, as with most older cars and vans. Every 16 year old knows this but getting past an immobiliser takes time.

Not all insurers give a toss whether you fit or not, probably due to modern vehicles being fitted with factory immobilsers.

'At the moment Direct Line does not offer discounts for a Thatcham approved security system being installed. Unless we have asked specifically for a Thatcham approved security system to be fitted as a standard requirement then it is not necessary on the Insurance.'

Return to “Scotland”