Trip Details

Plan and chat about this joint meeting with the Russian Bongo owners club.

Moderator: helen&tony

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Trip Details

Post by helen&tony » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:25 am

Hi
Nobbysnuts / Grahame
I like the teddybears in your avatar 8) 8) 8) 8)
We will be taking firm bookings in January, in order to secure a place!, so I'll keep everyone informed
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Sue

Post by Sue » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi, Hope you had a great Christmas.

We want to join this trip so please put us down. 3 adults, 1 small dog.
Like the idea of a longer trip and am thinking of doing Venice and sons house in Paderborn, Germany on way home.
Are you planning on 'convoy' traveling on way out? Can we get discount for bulk booking on ferry or chunnel?

Take care and enjoy your new year.

Sue
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi Sue
That's great...I'll do a head count after early/ mid-January...It sounds like 8 or 9 Bongos so far...plus the Russian contingent...I had mentioned earlier about getting a bulk booking, and once we have sorted numbers out, I'l be only too pleased to e-mail around . I like the tunnel, because of the dogs. I will ask the site owners about doggy facilities, and at current rates are less than 50 P a night 8) 8) 8) ...Regarding convoys, some people want to travel together, and some separately, but when we have firmed up bookings, I have a few ideas planned.
If there are any queries, ask away, and I can mail/ phone, or pop over and see the site. Don't ask me to go at the moment, as the Bongo is off the road...I'll be getting some hoses/ waterpump sent in the New Year!...and I don't drive in the snow over here....the natives are appalling drivers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
CumbriaBongoBulls
Junior Bongonaut

Post by CumbriaBongoBulls » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:10 pm

Hi, Has anyone added up yet to see if we have 6 or more Bongos going from the UK?
I bought the Michellin map of Romania yesterday to plot my route from Szeged (Hungary) to Ruse (Romania/Bulgarian border) via Curtea de Arges. I already have road maps of France, Belgium, Germany, Austria and Bulgaria (in cyrililc). I only need Hungary now to complete the route.
Regards,
Phil
Life is for Living!
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:32 pm

Great route - are going over the Transfagarasan Pass 7C?
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi
I Think we have "Go"
I've got it planned to ask for a head count this weekend...and I'll post the names of those so far on the list
I think it's 8- 10 so far...a nice cozy number...There are a couple of "Hoverers", but I'll Pm them soon after the initial count.
I will soon have some more details for the trip
Phil
As Dandy says...nice route...the best in my opinion....I only ever use road atlases , and when you get to Bulgaria, I can give easy directions...If anyone wishes, I can meet on the Ruse road near Samovodene...but I believe SatNav is now pretty good here if you have one...but I like maps.
A bit nearer the time I'll sort out some plans for travel
Cheers
Helen
Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Post by Bin Bongoed » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:32 pm

If someone going on this trip has a need for a TomTom map of eastern Europe could they pm me.
MikeBongo
Bongonaut

Post by MikeBongo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:23 pm

Despite posting interest earlier we will not be able to make this trip. Hope it all goes well.

Mike
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:54 am

Hi Mike
That's sad....maybe you'll get another trip in...don't fret, there's plenty of camping to be done :D
Cheers
Helen
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:43 am

Hi
Here is a list of those who want to attend. My apologies if I've left anyone off.
Cumbriabongobulls
Maxmataz
The Greenman 2 adults 1 child
Umbongocat
Nobbysnuts 2 adults
Rhinoman?
Sue 3 adults 1 small dog
Spikethorne
Freewheeler

Those hovering with intent :lol: :lol: :lol: ...I hope you do decide!
Wormey
Bongomadness
Jaylee
Mikexgough...not sure if you were interested , Mike?

PLUS, there are 2 interested parties, who have e-mailed Ian, and I will contact them for details, as I don't know their Forum names
Could you please show whether you are still DEFINITELY interested by the end of the month, so that I can let the owners have a bit of notice...also indicate numbers of children/ pets...just so that we know whether there will be other kids to play with :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...I need to know who will be there for me to play with....I'll grow up one day :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian will stay in the village, as his time is limited, and the Russian Delegation will no doubt add their names to their list.
As with Ian, DemonAV will stay in the village
I shall get along with Tony, but may have to drop him home with the dogs, and come back on my own, as Wolfgang is a right handful :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...

O.K. So it seems that there will be quite a "Gathering" of the Clan Bongo....I'll see what can be arranged for some fun....maybe the owners will let us spit a pig or sheep...I'll see if we can arrange something....perhaps our friends might be interested?....anyway, there's plenty of time yet!
There is a good supermarket near, in the nearby town, so don't worry about grub!...I can show you where...and plenty of parking!
Cheers
Helen
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:13 am

Hi Helen,

Sorry, we're not going to be able to make the trip as much as we would love to.

It sounds like it's going to be a great one and hopefully, next year we'll be in a better financial position that will enable us to do a trip like this.

Cat
I love cheese!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:37 am

Hi Cat
Never mind...there's always another time for a big trip
Cheers
Helen
CumbriaBongoBulls
Junior Bongonaut

Post by CumbriaBongoBulls » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:06 pm

Hi Helen,
I now have my road maps for Hungary and Romania. I shall definitely be using the Transfagaras Pass route, 7C, in Romania. There are some video clips on Youtube of this route which reinforce the photos that were posted by Dandywarhol. It seems that Jeremy Clarkson went this way, but that won't put me off. My guide book says that Brasov and Sibiu are also worth a visit. Perhaps I will visit Brasov on the way back.
I do not have sat-nav, because I like reading maps. I think that I can find my way to Tornovo, but may welcome some guidance from you on the last few kilometres to the campsite.
Thank you for letting us know that there is a supermarket in the village, this will please my wife. The idea of a pig or sheep spit roast sounds good.
Does anyone have any good experiences with campsites in Romania and Hungary along our proposed route? We will be stopping for a few days in Austria and then entering Hungary from Graz and heading for the North East end of Lake Balaton. Then, trying to avoid Budapest, we will head for Szeged and then take the E68 into Romania to Arad. From Arad we will follow the E68 / 7 to Deva and then to Sibiu and the 7C though the Fagaras Mountains. From Pitesti we will take the A1 and then the 61 to Ruse, avoiding Bucuresti.
We will probably need one or two nights each in Hungary and Romania. I have read that wild camping is not permitted in Hungary, but is allowed in Romania. Since I like a shower in the morning, preferably hot, we would prefer to stay on an established campsite. An overnight stop may also be a good place to meet up with other Bongos en-route to Bulgaria. Any ideas would be welcome.
Regards,
Phil and Hil
Life is for Living!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi Phil and Hil
I will tick you off as a definite, then 8) . No children, I take it!
I can't advise on campsites in Hungary/ Romania, but would strongly advise that you check with a reliable source for good secure camping. Our Hungarian friend in England, Atilla, said that Hungary can be a bit dodgy, and Romania is well known for folk pinching things ...probably wrongly, but I would be careful...the only times I have parked in Romania , I have used gated secure compounds. Even some camping we have used in Italy had strong warnings from camping clubs about being used by itinerant workers, and being locked in a compound at night with said workers :shock: :shock: :shock: ...no problem!
Bucuresti is best avoided if you can, as it's a real 'mare to drive through. The last step from Bucuresti to Veliko Turnovo is a few hours, and 15 mins to the campsite. The Supermarket is in the nearest town, Phil...not the village...10 minutes or so...No doubt the site owner would do a meal if you don't fancy cooking first night...but it's easy enough to throw some bangers on a barbi :lol: :lol: :lol:
We'll put our heads together on suitable meeting places to get together en route, as there's plenty of time yet
Glad to see you like maps...I do all the driving, and I can study a map in the morning, then drive all day without guidance....HUGE adventure 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Any queries, let me know...the campsite owners may even know some good camping in Romania/ Hungary...I'll ask
Cheers
Helen
CumbriaBongoBulls
Junior Bongonaut

Post by CumbriaBongoBulls » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Hi Helen,
There will be just two of us. A definite booking. Our children are old enough to arrange their own holidays.
I share your love of maps and do all the mapwork and driving. Hil likes to look out of the window, but she is an excellent cook. If the supermarket is in Tornovo, we can call in there on the way to the campsite. Perhaps you can meet us there? Anyway we can sort this sort of thing out nearer the time.
Thanks for the warning about the Hungarian and Romanian campsites. I will try to get some site details from the Alan Rogers Guides, which we have found reliable for Western Europe.
Regards,
Phil
Life is for Living!

Return to “Bulgaria 2011”