4wd and snow

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

trevd01

Post by trevd01 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:25 am

We have had 4 Subarus (maunals), and Audi A4 Quattro auto and 3 Landrovers. We too live in the Pennines. The road to our house and our drive is a fair test for any 4wd when it snows.

Our Bongo is excellent in the snow, better than the legacy Turbo we had, which was the worst of the 4wds. Not quite up there with the Defenders, or even the auto Freelander, (but that is down to tyre tread pattern being better on the Landie).

Ours is Auto, 4wd running on 215s all round. I prefer an auto for driving in the snow, BTW.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:38 am

jgm wrote:
bigdaddycain wrote: Have you actually looked underneath your bongo to confirm its a 4wd version jgm?
Fair point, and now you mention it, I have indeed described the behaviour of a 2WD vehicle. :oops: It came from an allegedly reliable supplier, I'll have a look underneath tomorrow/when the snow melts.

Assuming it really is 4WD but not working, what are the options?

cheersJohn

I reckon you'd still be covered jgm, if indeed you bought from a reputable dealer. It's fair to assume that you bought the vehicle in this condition, and its only the recent snowfall that has highlighted the problem.

At the very least, they should be able to get your bongo up on the ramp, and investigate the issue fee of charge.

Then, if indeed something IS amiss,you can put forward your point that it must have been like this on the date of purchase,you simply haven't had occasion to realize that something is amiss.

Its just possible that you have a genuine 4wd bongo, and one of the propshafts have been disconnected at some stage to "cure" a diff problem.

I'm sure harry can confirm this...
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
Harry
Supreme Being

Post by Harry » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:50 am

Thanks for dropping me in it BDC

I run on the recommended tyre sizes but do a hell of a lot of miles, often heavily loaded and regularly off tarmac and on snow/ice.

The handling & 4wd have always been more than up to the job...however...
over the pasr 18 months I had to have all 4 universal joints changed on my propshafts at different times due to them disintergrating.

On each occasion I or my garage has been able to remove a propshaft and still keep the van on the road (lightly loaded) except on one occasion when I came back 250 miles from northern scotland on main roads fully loaded with the rear shaft removed and I've got to admit I didn't notice that much difference except for the lack of vibration.

There is a factsheet about recall notices which includes propshaft problems and its worth checking to see if yours is on the list.

Mine is ok now except for a bit of play in the splines and both shafts need rebalancing....when I've got a few days spare to get it in for the work. Meanwhile I have to but up with a mild but aggrevating vibration between 45 & 60mph.

It sounds like your front propshaft and/or its attatchments may be faulty.

good luck

H
http://watcherswildlife.co.uk

Towing a shed with a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:06 pm

That's what i meant Harry, if a certain previous owner had similar trouble, perhaps a prop had been removed at some stage, then the bongo sold on with the issue going unnoticed...

Just highlighting the possibilities....
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
Captainsideways

Post by Captainsideways » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Whats the first 4 didgits of the chassis number ;)
jgm
Junior Bongonaut

Post by jgm » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:36 pm

Captainsideways wrote:Whats the first 4 didgits of the chassis number ;)
SGL5 (and it has front driveshafts)

but thanks anyway :)

John
V6 Bongo, KTM 990 SMT, Tiger 955i

Return to “Techie Stuff”