4wd and snow

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

jgm
Junior Bongonaut

4wd and snow

Post by jgm » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:36 pm

Hi

The background to this question is that I live high up in the pennines and we get a fait bit of snow. For the last 10 years I've had a succession of Subarus and not really thought about driving in the snow, just done it.

Anyway, had cause to drive the Bongo today with a few inches of snow on the road, slightly slushy and freezing when compacted by the wheels. Getting up even minor hills was a problem. I was mostly in "S" with "Hold"

I eventually got up the final, steepest hill by the technique of flooring it, which apart from nearly losing it on the bend, seemed to do the trick.
It appeared that the rear wheels had to spin very fast before the front wheels would begin to turn, so I'm climbing with the rears spinning madly and the fronts turning slowly. Is that what it's supposed to do?

I think I understand how drive is transmitted to the front when there is a difference in speed between the front and rear propshafts, but it's more extreme than I expected.
The good news is that I've now got an excuse not to sell my Forester turbo :D

cheers

John
V6 Bongo, KTM 990 SMT, Tiger 955i
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:40 pm

Interesting point and I don't know the answer. I thought once the "slack" was taken up, all 4 wheels travelled at the same speed. Be good to hear from an expert.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Harry
Supreme Being

Post by Harry » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:59 pm

Never had this problem with my 4wd bongo and I drive in the snow quite a bit both here around the Lakes & Pennines (when we have any) and in France.

Seems a bit odd that you are not getting all 4 wheel traction?

H
http://watcherswildlife.co.uk

Towing a shed with a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:00 pm

Hmm, i'm not an expert by any means jgm, but i did sort of test my 4x4 capability just the once...I got the bongo on a very steep muddy incline,locked it over to the right,stuck my head out of the window, and had a good look down as i floored it, naturally the rear wheels let go first,then the fronts, but they seemed to quickly match pace,then find traction...

Have you actually looked underneath your bongo to confirm its a 4wd version jgm?

There used to be a marked price difference between 2 and 4 wheel drive bongo's a few years back, it wasn't unknown for some owners to simply stick the " full time 4wd" stickers onto the 2wd's to make them seem more expensive.... :?
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:01 pm

Harry wrote:Never had this problem with my 4wd bongo and I drive in the snow quite a bit both here around the Lakes & Pennines (when we have any) and in France.

Seems a bit odd that you are not getting all 4 wheel traction?

H
You may have a lsd fitted to yours harry, as do i...Not all do.
Harry
Supreme Being

Post by Harry » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Strangely enough I was sold mine as 2wd and only discovered it was 4wd at its first service when my garage pointed out that I had 2 propshafts! :oops:
H 8)
http://watcherswildlife.co.uk

Towing a shed with a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+
Rhod
Tribal Elder

Post by Rhod » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:03 pm

My only experience of the bongo in snow was in fresh, reasonably dry snow, but I certainly had no problems with wheelspin. The only time I've had slippery climbs on hills the of the gradient it sounds as if you're talking about has been in mud - again no traction issues.

My bongo is running on standard recommended tyres (195s & 215s) which, as I understand it, means that the front wheels are turning fractionally slower than the rears, activating the viscous coupling & creating permanent 4wd. Are you running on an unusual tyre combination?

Incidentally I've been severely impressed by the performance of a Forester on a VERY slippery muddy hill, with a full load on board......

Rhod
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:11 pm

Harry wrote:Strangely enough I was sold mine as 2wd and only discovered it was 4wd at its first service when my garage pointed out that I had 2 propshafts! :oops:
H 8)
Strangely, mine wasn't advertised as being 4wd either Harry, whereas most ads at the time went a bit overboard with the 4wd sale angle...

The fella i bought from thought they were all 4wd,so didn't state it in the ad,i dont think he knew he could have got an extra £500- £1000 for it either.... :lol:
Foz.Foz
Bongolier

Post by Foz.Foz » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:15 pm

My 4WD got me out of the "Glastonbury Fields" no problem at all for the last 2 years we've been, although I didn't look at the wheels. I was to busy dodging everything else that was a victim to the mud :roll:
Ralph

Post by Ralph » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:16 pm

Ours is on 215's all round the only experience we have had
was when the local slip way was covered in ice a few weeks
back and I could feel the front wheels losing then finding
traction got a definite feeling it was driving on all four.
:)
manners

Post by manners » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:29 pm

Ive owned Subaru's for years, on Impreza turbo No4 at the moment we get a bit of snow up here and about a month ago I had to take the in-laws to Manchester airport and woke up to 4" and still a blizzard outside. As there cases wont fit in the Scoob i took the Freda over the Cat and Fiddle 5 in the morning nothing else been over (including ploughs! DCC are useless) no problem at all in fact the only time I noticed the wheels spin was backing it onto the drive when we got back.
jgm
Junior Bongonaut

Post by jgm » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:34 pm

bigdaddycain wrote: Have you actually looked underneath your bongo to confirm its a 4wd version jgm?
Fair point, and now you mention it, I have indeed described the behaviour of a 2WD vehicle. :oops: It came from an allegedly reliable supplier, I'll have a look underneath tomorrow/when the snow melts.

Assuming it really is 4WD but not working, what are the options?

cheers

John
Morag
Bongolier

Post by Morag » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:10 pm

We never realised ours was 4WD until recently, I just thought I was a great offroader getting out of the field at the Outsider Festival with such ease! :oops: However was at my parents just after new year in 2 feet of snow on an incline, easy!
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:13 pm

Just look down past the radiator and you'll see driveshafts and a whacking great diff (if it's there :wink: )
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
jgm
Junior Bongonaut

well, it SHOULD be 4wd

Post by jgm » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:19 pm

Or at least it has front driveshafts.

About a week over a 3 month warranty too.

So I suppose this will be expensive will it?

cheers

John

Return to “Techie Stuff”