Dashboard warning lights

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

alvinhubbcap

Dashboard warning lights

Post by alvinhubbcap » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:21 pm

Afternoon; I have been on glaciological fieldwork in the Swiss Alps for the last 2 months using my recently acquired 4WD (manual) Bongo as a mobile mountain hut - it has been incredible - running perfectly up to 2,500m asl up some pretty dodgy tracks!. On my way up from the local town a few days ago - the Sediment & Battery Charge lights started coming on symultaneously but intermittently... they are now coming on most of the time - 10 seconds on a few seconds off! Whatever the problem is it appears to be getting worse...

I have checked/bled the fuel filter (fine) & alternator connections (fine) plus the 2xbatteries are charging good at 14+V when running. Does anyone have any ideas? I have tried to join the fury club for the factsheets but it looks like the moderator is away at a Bongo Fest until next wendesday so I cant access any of the factsheets. Please help as I am hoping to drive back to blighty on sunday & dont want to end up on the side of a french payage.

Alun
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:50 pm

From what I have read
the Sediment & Battery Charge lights coming on together relates to charging problems

the fact that they come on and off would suggest its a intermitant problem and while you are checking with the meter you are still and all is well but as you move a connection loosens and causes it to illuminate.
this intermitant fault may still be charging ok for now.

keep jump leeds with you just in case
You could also consider disconnecting one of the batteries so if your main one fails you can reconnect and still start it
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:07 pm

Yes it will be the alternator. Probably the brushes wearing down and hence it getting worse until it fails completely.
alvinhubbcap

Many thanks for that info...

Post by alvinhubbcap » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:38 pm

Thank you very much for sound advice... disconecting the 2nd battery sounds like a very intelligent move. Is there anything I can do about the alternator (brushes) based from a mountainside up in the swiss alps? Looks pretty tight in there & i only have the most basic tools...

Is the alternator a standard Ford/Mazda part if/when it does go pear shaped on my way home?

Sorry - questions/questions...

alun
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:59 pm

Standard? No but you should have realised that when taking an import on. Brushes from something else may fit, if that's what the problem is but you're not in the best spot to do much about it. Do you have breakdown cover? Otherwise your options are to take it into a garage in a big town before it fails or risk it and see if you can limp home.
alvinhubbcap

Post by alvinhubbcap » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:17 pm

Many thanks - Apologies - I wasn't being defensive about it being a 'standard part' - just nice if it was wrt getting a relatively painless fix... I am perfectly happy/comfortable with an import & the direct/indirect implications thereof... I have sailed a very 'non-standard' boat to Antarctica a few times & you can imagine the implications of brocken part inconviences there...

So - back to the point - if I take the alternator off & get it tested by someone 'who knows' then they may be able to replace the brushes (if it is that) before its too late? Otherwise, it might be a dodgy connection - possibly field input? I will check all of these things.

Is there indeed an alternator fact sheet on the members page?
q's, q's...
Thanks again,
a
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:39 pm

I recon that a competent auto electrician could modify similar brushes to fit, I have done this in the past on other cars but then my father in law was an auto electrician when they used to fix things instead of replacing them.

We filed them to fit and changed the connectors replaced diode packs too if you know where to get them.

it was him that really did it I just helped.

alas he is now long since retired and the industry has moved on so those contacts are no more.
clogger
Bongolier

Post by clogger » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:07 pm

sure there was a post within the last few weeks
regarding changing the brushes took about 2 hours and £15
or somefink like that

maybe try searching but i think it started out as one post and digressed off as most do in one way or another

hope this helps a bit and don`t confuse even more :?
ECKY THUMP
the one true art form
Rhod
Tribal Elder

Post by Rhod » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:57 pm

I've no idea if this'll work on a Bongo alternator since I've never had to venture inside one beloging to a car/van but......

I've bodged a repair on a BMW bike alternator before by wedging matchsticks under the brush springs to compensate for the wear & let me continue my journey home. I suspect that this won't work on the bongo, but you never know :D
Rhod
Harry
Supreme Being

Post by Harry » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:08 pm

Just an Idea

Look out for Ford main Dealers with garages...they sometimes double up as Mazda service centres.

I've used them in rural southern France to get replacement parts without problems.

cheers

H 8)
http://watcherswildlife.co.uk

Towing a shed with a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+
alvinhubbcap

Post by alvinhubbcap » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:14 pm

Back again - many thanks for overwhelming +ve response to my predicament... I'll wing it on sunday & see how far I get...

SO, on this point & as a 'purely hypothetical/intellectual' aside... what is the current (ampage) draw on the batteries when none of the control-able electrics are on (ie no lights/blower fan/music/wipers etc). There is no ignition system but I know the diesel (& van) must draw some power when running...

You know - just idly speculating on how far I mighyt get if the alternator were to go...

a
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:56 am

Please dont think im teaching you how to suck eggs here... but, have you checked the tension of the fan belt? :shock:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
kit

Post by kit » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:55 am

If as you say you have been driving over rough terrain...check all battery connections/earth straps etc.
alvinhubbcap

Post by alvinhubbcap » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:18 pm

Many thanks for all good responses - I connected the voltmeter up today thru the ciggy socket & found that when the Sediment & Charge Dash Lights come on - the alternator is OVER-CHARGING @ 17+Volts... so I suspect it must be either the regulator or the field connection...

I will start a new thread on this as I am planning to leave tomorrow & if I can fix it then it might help my batteries from frying...

Thanks again,

A

Return to “Techie Stuff”