front fogs

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

wooden wheel
Bongolier

front fogs

Post by wooden wheel » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:12 pm

Hi All,
First of all best wishes to everyone for 2007, next, the front fogs on the bon arn't working, the switch does'nt illuminate when pressed (I have made sure that I've got the headlights on full beam), so I guess that it may be the fuse, can anyone tell me which one it is?
Steve
samuel
Bongolier

Post by samuel » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:24 pm

Steve

Its no.10 (15A) in the under bonnet fuse box.

Kind regards

Tim[/list]
"Living the Dream"
trevd01

Post by trevd01 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:17 pm

...on full beam?

If fogs lamps are switched with headlamps, they are more likely only to work on dip beam only.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:55 pm

there,s sometimes a "kill switch"for the fogs hidden away somewhere too,none on mine, but there is on my sisters freda... lower dash usually,prob worth a look?
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
wooden wheel
Bongolier

Post by wooden wheel » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:22 pm

Ta for the replies, I used to have a frontera and the lamps on that only came on when the headlights were on full beam. I did get told that they were'nt strictly fogs but "long range driving lamps" I don't really think there's any difference though! In any case there's no sign of life whether the headlights are on dipped or full beam anyway.
Steve
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:34 pm

Legally, driving lamps must be fitted to main beam and go off on dip - and foglamps only on dip....................
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
wooden wheel
Bongolier

Post by wooden wheel » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:47 pm

Ok, I've decided to have another go . The fuse is ok, so I thought I'd have a look at the switch. Managed to gain access, and found a black wire and a green one,not attached to anything, they look like they've been chopped off. I think they must be connected with the fog wiring as they come from the same loom. There does'nt seem to be any connectors in the switches with wires missing, so I'm thinking that someone may have been having a tinker round with it in the past.
Any ideas ?
Steve
neil/di
Bongolier

Post by neil/di » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:48 pm

Hi woodenwheel, do you have a switch to the left of the steering wheel and next to the blind switches, this is connected to your foglights and allows you to switch between spotlights/foglights, have a look to see if you have this switch
Neil
A Bongos is not just for christmas
wooden wheel
Bongolier

Post by wooden wheel » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:10 pm

Had a look Neil, could'nt find any extra switches anywhere!
wooden wheel
Bongolier

Post by wooden wheel » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:37 am

Have just removed the switch and had it checked- working correctly- put a test light across the terminals in the connecting block , and there is a feed to the switch. Checked the wiring at the fogs and nothing shows, is there a relay anywhere that could be faulty?I'm running out of ideas now!!!
phedders
Bongolier

Post by phedders » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:06 pm

wheely - did you fix this? There is a bank of relays under the bonnet right on the right hand edge - beside a second battery if you have one.

I think the foremost relay is used for front fogs on bongos that have them fitted.
wooden wheel
Bongolier

Post by wooden wheel » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:14 pm

Hi Phedders, Yeh, managed to get it sorted. Turned out to be wires chaffed through. One interesting thing though, I was checking the feed to the switch (4 wires in multiplug) and I put a test light across contacts I found that it lit up differently, bright then dim, depending which 2 terminals were connected. When I finally got the fogs working, they were dimly lit, turned the plug to the switch around and lights work as they should. First I thought that the feed giving the dim light may have been for illuminating the switch, but I've read since that the switch does'nt illuminate at any time, so whats going on there then???????
pippin

Post by pippin » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:05 pm

The switch does (should) illuminate - all the time that the sides/heads are on - to show you where the switch actually is, not to tell you that the fogs are on.

I modified mine for use as a rear fog switch and also so that the tell-tale lamp in the switches lights only when the rear fogs are on.

On most of the switches, the red/black wire is the illumination feed.
phedders
Bongolier

Post by phedders » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:53 pm

Pippin - thats just given me a idea - you don't have any idea where the illumination power is fed from do you?

It's just that i was at a breakers today (looking for a proper mazda fog switch :O) and prized out an illumination dimmer from an old 626 or something. It's a taller switch that fits in the lower switch holes.

Basically it has ground, feed and output and a wheely dimmer on the front. Would be fun to patch it into the dash illumination feed... if I can find it!

Return to “Techie Stuff”