2L petrol (2000) wont start when cold

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

petebog
Apprentice Bongonaut

2L petrol (2000) wont start when cold

Post by petebog » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:43 am

Hi all

We have had our bongo for about five years without any problems. Until now ...

A couple of months ago the engine died about a mile from home for no apparent reason and refused to restart. So I called the breakdown people who arrived about an hour later. The mechanic had a quick look under the bonnet and then asked me to try starting the bongo. It fired first time and was fine for the rest of day.

Since then it has become increasingly difficult to start the bongo but the symptoms are always the same. The issue arises if the air is damp and only when the bongo has been stood overnight. I can hear the engine turning over but does not fire. Repeated attempts to start either results in success or a flat battery. If it does start it runs as expected and I can stop and restart without any issue for the rest of the day.

So I changed the obvious ... spark plugs - HT leads - rotator arm and distributer cap. Its was time they were changed anyway. This did not resolve the problem.

Now our bongo was due a new timing belt so I got the necessary parts and booked the bongo in. When I dropped of the bongo of I told the mechanic about the starting issue in the hope they could sort it. However the following morning was bright and sunny and so the starting issue didn't occur.

I've had a good read around but seem to be going around in circles hence this post. Has anyone any suggestions as to where to look next?

Any help or thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated

Pete
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: 2L petrol (2000) wont start when cold

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:59 am

Have you considered changing the distributor body ? It has a sensor in which may be the cause of your problems, possibly heat related, which tells the coil etc when to generate the spark, if this fails then no spark. You will notice that there is a 7-way connector on the side of the distributor housing for its connections.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
petebog
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by petebog » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:23 am

Hi g8dhe

Thanks for the quick response. I've been wondering if it could be the body of the distributor or even the power module on top. Is it possible to test or prove either is the cause? Or is it a case of swapping one or both and hoping for the best?

I've been out this morning to have another look at the issue. The bongo refused to start first thing but has just started (about an hour later) at the first turn of the key.

Pete
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:08 pm

I don't have any useful details to hand on the actual construction of the distributor on the 2l internally,
http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... mgno=.html
it might be worth looking at some of the images for the part number https://www.google.com/search?q=FEMJ18200A
see if anything helps.
But yes like you I prefer to actually identify the source of the failure, before replacing adhoc on chance that the problem goes away!

You can sometimes find internal parts available on eBay rather than replacing the whole thing, but can be a bit fraught checking that the pieces are precisely right!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Debs and David
Tribal Elder

Post by Debs and David » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:01 pm

I have a '98 2 litre bongo, which had the same problem that you are describing. The part you are looking at in an ignition module, but I got advice from wheel quick in Wigan and bongo spares in Halifax to just change the whole distributor. Mine was the non king lead type distributor as there are 2 types. which sorted the problem straight away, new distributor was around £180.
Hope this helps. Dave
Debs & David

You Need Degas to Make De Van Gogh
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:37 pm

I'd be looking to confirm if there is a spark & injector switching when the fault occurs.
Im not familiar with the 2.0 Bongo at all but does it have a separate crank sensor or just the pickup in the distributor?
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
Debs and David
Tribal Elder

Post by Debs and David » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:10 pm

If its a non king pin distributor it is something to do with the ignition module which is part of the distributor which can be changed but good luck just easier to change the whole thing and know its going to be right
Debs & David

You Need Degas to Make De Van Gogh
petebog
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by petebog » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:48 am

Good morning all

Many thanks for all the replys. Its good to know I'm thinking along the right lines. The distributer is the non king lead (four wire) version. So it looks like three options are available ...

1. Take the bongo to the local garage and see what they suggest.
2. Replace the ignition module
3. Replace the whole distributor.

I'm thinking option three makes the most sense so will go with that and see what happens.

As an aside ... when I had the engine covers off and the engine running yesterday I noticed an odd smell. It might sound daft but the smell was sort of almondy. Turn the engine off and the smell disappears. I guess it could just be an oddity but it might point to something more serious. Any thoughts?

Anyway once again thanks for all the responses

Pete
petebog
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by petebog » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:43 pm

Hi all

I was thinking it might be useful to others to add an update to this issue.

I can confirm that replacing the distributer resolved the starting problem.

ounce again many thanks for the replies ...

pete
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:45 pm

Thankyou

It's a real help for the future when peeps let us know how things went. 8)

Glad you're sorted. :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”