On holiday: bongo dripping oil

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Swindlebiscuit
Bongonaut

On holiday: bongo dripping oil

Post by Swindlebiscuit » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:18 pm

Hello all,

So, we're currently on our holiday in sunny post-hurricane Wales, happily unpacking our Bongo to move to another chalet after the first was infested with flies...

...when I notice oil patches behind the Bongo. Took a look underneath and sure enough - there are actual drips of oil coming down from the central block area under the Bongo.

Checked the dipstick, and we're still just under full. (Going to check it again in the morning.)

We've had leaks before, but only very small ones, not noticeable drips.

I've taken a couple of pictures to show an idea of locations. The drips were at around 5 second intervals. You should be able to click through the three photos here:

https://imgur.com/a/0JgsL

Any advice? We're basically trying to work out if this is a "find a Bongo mechanic immediately" scenario, or a "top up the oil till you get back and book it into the garage" situation.

Hoping this won't tip a 'challenging' holiday into a minor disaster :wink:

Thanks!
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: On holiday: bongo dripping oil

Post by Bob » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Depends how far you are from home.

50 Miles likely fine, thousnad miles... :?

Also, could it be diesel? Looks very similar on the ground. Might be worth putting an old newspaper under it for a couple of minutes to check.
Swindlebiscuit
Bongonaut

Post by Swindlebiscuit » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry, forgot to say - it's a V6 petrol. We recently had the rocker tightened and the seals replaced.

We're almost 300 miles from home, sadly!
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:05 pm

It would be worthwhile checking the sump plug/oil filter/oil switch for leaks and tightness , and checking the auto box fluid level would not go amiss.
Swindlebiscuit
Bongonaut

Post by Swindlebiscuit » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:36 pm

Thanks for the advice!

I don't suppose anyone has experience of using Bar's Leaks for oil or power steering fluid? Seems to suggest it's a viable temporary measure, but unsure whether it's the healthiest stuff to put into a Bongo?

Cheers!
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 pm

If the rocker gasket has recently been changed then it could have got pinched when installed. I think you will be OK if you top it up but see a proper Bongo friendly garage on return home.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:33 am

Ian wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 pm If the rocker gasket has recently been changed then it could have got pinched when installed. I think you will be OK if you top it up but see a proper Bongo friendly garage on return home.
Ideally take it to the garage that tightened but didn't replace the rocker gasket. Tightening is a bit of a hit and miss affair and doesn't really substitute for replacing it, sadly. :-(

Can you put an old towel on the undertray to catch the oil meanwhile? I was able to do this when i had a dripping diesel fuel pump and it stayed in place fine.
Swindlebiscuit
Bongonaut

Post by Swindlebiscuit » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Thanks all for the excellent advice. We called out garage and asked them to look into the gasket as soon as we return. Checking the dipstick in the morning, it had barely gone down at all.

I assume (and hope) that the problem looked worse than it is because the sheer volume of rain was bringing more water up into the underside of the Bongo and exaggerating the drip.

Thanks again!

Return to “Techie Stuff”