Another Coolant Alarm Issue

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

haydn callow
Supreme Being

Re: Another Coolant Alarm Issue

Post by haydn callow » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:00 am

Ours has a short delay built in so sloshing about is not a problem.....also it self tests every time you switch on the ignition. We do not use a 555
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
John_H
Bongonaut

Post by John_H » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:17 pm

haydn callow wrote:Ours has a short delay built in so sloshing about is not a problem.....also it self tests every time you switch on the ignition. We do not use a 555
Aha .. those are both very good ideas =D> - I'll see if I can do that as well with my circuit.
So, my design was from the 70's - now just realised how ancient the germanium transistor is!! :? still, I might have a few in my attic.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:07 pm

We also encapsulate the gubbins in epoxy......makes it bombproof. We have virtually no failures..less than 0.25%, but it did take us 3 years and the help of this forum to achieve this reliability......no Chinese components was the break through.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:05 pm

John_H wrote:Thanks to all for the advice on getting a low coolant alarm. =D> I used to have one on my Land Rover some years ago which I remember was a fairly simple device to make and install into the header tank. I wonder if I've still got the design for it?. I see a commercial one mentioned a lot on here but it does seem to be a considerable amount of cash ...

You can purchase very reasonably priced alarms on eBay or direct from the seller , the guy that makes them has a very good reputation on a few Forums. If you are bothered by Sloshing just fit a longer screw.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121532137275? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:08 pm

If you go for that one, don't forget to press the test button everytime you turn the ignition on.... :lol:
John_H
Bongonaut

Post by John_H » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:14 pm

teenmal wrote:You can purchase very reasonably priced alarms on eBay or direct from the seller , the guy that makes them has a very good reputation on a few Forums. If you are bothered by Sloshing just fit a longer screw.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121532137275? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Thanks, I did see those kits but wasn't so impressed with them. I think I'll have a go at DIY and if that fails, get a Haydn kit !
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:28 pm

If you read the FB forums, there are reports of failures on the Ebay versions, none so far have been very forthcoming as to what / how /why.
Likewise 3 reports now of Solar panels being ripped of of roofs by the wind or screws becoming loose, again these are all reports from cheaper Ebay versions where very little consideration has been given to mounting the panels and the forces that will occur.

Its interesting to note that the two rather more expensive, well tested designs that have originated from people in this forum do not seem to have these problems .....
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”