Possible camping gas leak

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

KMH
Bongonaut

Possible camping gas leak

Post by KMH » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi everyone. When I don't turn the gas valve off at the canister, and leave the bongo shut up, I get a faint smell of gas - so I'm concerned there might be a tiny hole in the pipe from the gas bottle to the cooker. Obviously I need to get it looked at - but who do I go to? A converter, a garage, a corgi gas person? Feeling bemused, so I'd be glad of advice!
KMH
Bongonaut

Re: Possible camping gas leak

Post by KMH » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:18 pm

I should have said that I have a full side conversion, so the pipe is not easy to access.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:36 pm

The pipe from the cooker to the rear should be in copper securely attached to the chassis, only at the end will there be a flexible pipe to the tank itself. So there should only be three connection points, the flexible pipe to the regulator, the flex to the copper and the copper to the cooker at the front. These ought to be the only places where it will leak other than at the gas tap itself. Try some bubble liquid, t.e. some fairy liquid with water coating those points and see if you can see a leak, when the gas regulator is turned ON.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:53 pm

depending on what gas bottle brand/type you have you can get this type of thing. it is a combined regulator and leak tester, it can test every time the bottle is changed and tests the entire system.
ive had one for years, good cheap way of constantly testing everything.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gaslow-Clip-o ... SwpzdWsNLX
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:00 pm

Any rubber pipework will have a date stamp on it and should be inspected and replaced on a fairly regular basis.

You could try speaking to someone that services and does habitation checks on caravans and motorhomes. Our local Calor gas centre is a useful source of information. The chap there gave me some advise when I was planning the gas for my conversion.
KMH
Bongonaut

Post by KMH » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:23 pm

Thank you, everyone, that's really helpful. Now I know where to begin, here's hoping it is a simple fix!
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:43 pm

Do check for a gas leak.
But a customer of Allans thought they had a gas leak, when what they were smelling was a dirty waste water container. Which was an easy fix. ;)
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
KMH
Bongonaut

Post by KMH » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:51 pm

:lol: pretty sure it's not that, but thanks for the heads up and possible red face! :oops:

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”