Leisure Battery

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Keir
Apprentice Bongonaut

Leisure Battery

Post by Keir » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi,
New to the forum, recently purchased our first Bongo and I'm kitting it out for some camping in the summer.

I have purchased a change over kit to split charge the batteries but the change over kit only accounts for the vehicle originally having only 1 battery. As far as I've read, the second battery I currently have is a cold start battery. I wouldn't be too keen on removing this battery and then rerouting the power cable to the other original battery as surly I'd be dropping at least half the power. The only way I can see this working is to keep both original batteries and fit the leisure battery with the split charger. My conundrum would then be, has anyone managed to squeeze in a 3rd battery under the engine bay? if not my only option would be to fit it under the permanent bed I have fitted near the back door........

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Keir
cmm303
Supreme Being

Re: Leisure Battery

Post by cmm303 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:29 pm

In UK climate one starter battery is adequate. The Bongo is an excellent starter and with interior lights, music and leisure draining the new LB, one SB should not struggle. (If it does there is something else wrong). Replace the passy side starter battery with your leisure battery. The original +ve lead is also replaced with the +ve from your split charger.

A search on here should find discussions about what to do with the redundant +ve lead as it remains live. Choices range from thoroughly insulating the end and securing it out of the way (the quick and dirty) to disconnecting it further back in the loom.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:06 pm

Good advice from Chris, and welcome to the Forum.

The two battery option is only for the very chilly part of Japan, most have only one SB anyhow.
Keir
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Keir » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:53 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, I will take the second battery out, I carry a battery booster anyway should it struggle at all.
I was looking from the point of view that both batteries were wired individually when in reality, as your reply states, they are wired together so all I'm doing is remove or safely disregard the cable going to the 2nd battery.

Cheers for the advice

Keir
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:48 pm

Keir wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the advice, I will take the second battery out, I carry a battery booster anyway should it struggle at all.
I was looking from the point of view that both batteries were wired individually when in reality, as your reply states, they are wired together so all I'm doing is remove or safely disregard the cable going to the 2nd battery.

Cheers for the advice

Keir
yes, you've got it. In the two SB setup they are connected in parallel.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:32 pm

The northern specification Bongos have (among other things) two starter batteries wired in parallel giving you twelve volts but double the amps ..

In the UK most use the nearside battery tray to fit a leisure battery in (mine is 110AH)..

The off side is still the starter battery .. I have fitted a land rover 95Ah heavy duty one ..

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”