gearbox?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

gearbox?

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:03 pm

ok, techie help required, had bongo for 9 years no problems till yesterday morning, been working fine but when we set off at 9 am all was ok till we changed into 2nd gear, there was a grating sound and a little vibration in the steering wheel, crawled in first gear then tried again, couple of times it grated then all came good and behaved all day, ie once warm. tried again this morning and it was almost same except just feathered the throttle to go into second and it stalled the engine. started up and it worked fine again, even through all gears. checked the atf and its clear/pink and no smells, at correct "H" level. Ordered a pela pump to change it. Would this indicate either the front diff, transfer box or main gearbox, 1995 2.5 diesel 4wd. Need to go to London for the weekend and 3 other people relying on me and the bongo for transport with a boot full of stuff
mike, jo and emma
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: gearbox?

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:27 am

Does vibration in steering wheel point to differential / coupling more than gearbox? Is stalling a result of backload on the engine from components not turning freely. Could you disconnect front wheel drive to see if problems disappear? Hopefully one of the techies can offer thoughts. I'd be very wary taking it on a trip unt it's sorted. Good luck and keep us posted Mike.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:41 am

Ours had vibration through the steering wheel at about 20mph due to rear prop being shot, you could drive through it but it wasn't intermittent though. The grating noise and that it depends on the gear would suggest the main box but hopefully not.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:51 pm

lift all 4 wheels off the ground mike and give everything a spin by hand, if you have it jacked up right you could even run the engine in gear and have a listen, if your lucky it could be just the viscus coupling shot, (its chain driven), if its just that you could remove the front prop and centre bearing and still be safe to drive it.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:48 pm

had it jacked up this evening, havent heard it since tuesday, only thing i found was a little clunk on the prop shaft but had that for a few years and only when you start to front wheels fast, no grating when turn slow. checked oil levels when cold and at correct level. Will wait for the pela pump to arrive and change all fluids (not done for a long time)
changes into gears still smoothly but seems first thing when cold to be dropping revs lower than usual.
Still option to drop front prop, seems straight forward to do,
Will keep all informed.
Bonus today though was I rewired the drivers door loom so at least now my window goes up and down again.
mike, jo and emma
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:49 am

dreamwarrioruk wrote:had it jacked up this evening, havent heard it since tuesday, only thing i found was a little clunk on the prop shaft but had that for a few years and only when you start to front wheels fast, no grating when turn slow. checked oil levels when cold and at correct level. Will wait for the pela pump to arrive and change all fluids (not done for a long time)
changes into gears still smoothly but seems first thing when cold to be dropping revs lower than usual.
Still option to drop front prop, seems straight forward to do,
Will keep all informed.
Bonus today though was I rewired the drivers door loom so at least now my window goes up and down again.
Glad there's been some progress Mike. Fingers crossed the fluid change and/or front propshaft removal will track problem down.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:31 pm

the transfer box has its own oil mike check that too. check all the diff and transfer box little breathers on the top are clear,
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:51 pm

Latest update, pump arrived and sucked some rather brown gunk out of the box, quick change of around 3 litres for today, bought a shitload of atf dextron 111 so can keep flushing until i strip off the sump and clean filter etc, I ran out of time, problems of running own business, wont need the bongo for a week so will strip all down. i replaced what i sucked out with new red/pink dexron3 and got 8 litres of gear 80/90 gl5 to do boxes.
Can someone confirm that gl5 ep80/90 is correct for the diff and transfer box.
mike, jo and emma
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:38 pm

I believe that if you have a limited slip differential on the back wheels then it's gl 6
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:50 pm

yep thats the stuff and the transfer box mike.

capacities.

transfer box 1.6 lts.
front dif 1.2 lts.
rear dif 1.4 lts.
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:33 pm

mmm.
Must have just been the oil needed doing in the box, driven 600 miles and not a single issue over weekend. Will need to jack up and spin wheels to see if lsd as no chance of seeing anything on rear axle, 9 years of dirt n rust covers a multitude on it. There was a site somewhere that you could put the vin into but I cant find the link.

Another flush and change oil this week me thinks
mike, jo and emma

Return to “Techie Stuff”