Rear Drop Links

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

ADAMD
Bongolier

Rear Drop Links

Post by ADAMD » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:03 pm

Hello,
Please can somebody help me with the procedure for changing the rear drop links.

Many thanks,

Adam
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Rear Drop Links

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:50 pm

ADAMD wrote:Hello,
Please can somebody help me with the procedure for changing the rear drop links.

Many thanks,

Adam
From memory, its important to have the axle loaded as it would normally be, before tightening the nuts that hold the droplinks. If you don't do that you risk putting undue torque into the rubber bushes which will knacker them prematurely. I can't remember if you can do them with the wheels on but I seem to recall putting mine on axle stands and removing the wheels to do it. The real big unknown is whether you will have a lot of bother getting the old nuts off as they tend to seize with corrosion. Best to give them a dose of WD40 or penetrating oil a day or two before starting the job. Use a good socket and extension arm. I think someone once got the nuts to give by using a blow torch but great care needed there so can't recommend that (esp if petrol/lpg)! Whilst doing droplinks its worth doing the anti-roll bar u-brackets and bushes. The car should feel much better for having new droplinks and ARB bushes/brackets (you can actually sleeve the old ARB bushes using bicycle inner tube, if they are not too perished - I've done this and 8 years later not a peep from them!).
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:23 pm

I recently did mine with the rear of the Bongo up on ramps. So axle would not be under stress/ hanging down.

Replaced the anti roll bar bushes and retaining brackets at the same time. [One bracket had failed].

Very very easy job especially with an impact gun to hand.

Literally unbolt and replaced, nothing hard about it at all.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:51 pm

Useful to know it can be done on ramps. I didn't have any when I did mine. Shouldn't make any difference to the suspension mind you if you use stands as the axle is on the stands, maintaining normal sprung weight. But ramps will be a lot quicker! Make sure stands or ramps are sufficiently rated for a 2 ton Bongo.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:26 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Useful to know it can be done on ramps. I didn't have any when I did mine. Shouldn't make any difference to the suspension mind you if you use stands as the axle is on the stands, maintaining normal sprung weight. But ramps will be a lot quicker! Make sure stands or ramps are sufficiently rated for a 2 ton Bongo.
You can do it with all 4 wheels on the ground............

............................ if you are thin enough :roll:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:57 pm

scanner wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:Useful to know it can be done on ramps. I didn't have any when I did mine. Shouldn't make any difference to the suspension mind you if you use stands as the axle is on the stands, maintaining normal sprung weight. But ramps will be a lot quicker! Make sure stands or ramps are sufficiently rated for a 2 ton Bongo.
You can do it with all 4 wheels on the ground............

............................ if you are thin enough :roll:
Indeed, but if you're not, or don't like being seriously confined. :roll:

I wonder if the inevitable extension bar and lump hammer can be effectively used in that small space either. Which reminds me:

TIP - some have suggested that tightening before attempting to undo may actually help break / loosen the rust-bond. The theory is that its the exposed end of the thread that has rusted into the nut - if you can get it to move (away from the rusted section) a bit you can then begin to 'work' it loose. I wonder though how possible that might be in practice with a well tightened nut :roll:
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:00 am

Indeed my ramps are very long, high and heavy. I made them some 30yrs ago and still going strong.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:20 pm

Titan1995 wrote:
Indeed my ramps are very long, high and heavy. I made them some 30yrs ago and still going strong.
Sounds like you're good to go. :-)

Return to “Techie Stuff”