cost to change pipe work

lewisolivia
Apprentice Bongonaut

cost to change pipe work

Post by lewisolivia » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:23 pm

Hello and thank you for letting me in. We are really keen to buy a bongo next year so started to do our homework early, however im concerned with the number of coolant problems that pop up, I see that the cure maybe to fit a coolant alarm and change the pipes in the engine , my question is , is this expensive to get both jobs down and do the dealers up do that for you as I dlnt think there is a bongo garage near us. Many thanks for your advice so far :D
scanner
Supreme Being

Re: cost to change pipe work

Post by scanner » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:20 pm

lewisolivia wrote:Hello and thank you for letting me in. We are really keen to buy a bongo next year so started to do our homework early, however im concerned with the number of coolant problems that pop up, I see that the cure maybe to fit a coolant alarm and change the pipes in the engine , my question is , is this expensive to get both jobs down and do the dealers up do that for you as I dlnt think there is a bongo garage near us. Many thanks for your advice so far :D
Don't worry about getting things like that done - worry about buying a Bongo that doesn't need to have that work done.
lewisolivia
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by lewisolivia » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:04 pm

Thanks , was looking at buying from a dealer on here but am on a few forums and always seems tone coolant leaks or pipes and I imagine it would only be a matter of time until they went , just thinking to get them changed beforehand if that is the main fault with the bongo (that way might keep the boss positive about them )
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:35 pm

1st job is fit low coolant alarm as insurance. But my Bongo appears in good condition yet the metal rear heater pipe let go with corrosion last week. I was able to bandage down to a dripping leak then with lots of water on board and the LCA to warn me when to stop and top up, I made it to Adrian in Bury who luckily had a new spare one in stock which he fitted immediately so we're sound again. But it shows you can't take much for granted in a 20 year old Bongo and a thorough inspection and preventative replacement is worth considering. If mine had gone miles from home I'd have been greatly inconvenienced! I'm having mine looked over thoroughly this autumn in hope of a hassle free 2015 season. [-o<
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:23 pm

lewisolivia wrote: just thinking to get them changed beforehand if that is the main fault with the bongo
I had much the same thought and bought a set of silicone hoses from Flippa an ex-member on here who used to make and sell them.

That was in July 2008 and 80,000miles ago.

They are still in their box under the back seat.
lewisolivia
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by lewisolivia » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks guys
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:09 pm

IMO get the cooling system thoroughly checked, stripped down, replaced, whatever it takes. Even a young van is 10 years old, mine is coming up to 20. First day out a pipe sprung a small leak, so I had all the pipes, rad, pump, etc etc replaced and flushed out first thing, plus Haydn alarms fitted; 3 years later running sweet as a nut. :)

derek
lewisolivia
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by lewisolivia » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:49 pm

Dr Fingers wrote:IMO get the cooling system thoroughly checked, stripped down, replaced, whatever it takes. Even a young van is 10 years old, mine is coming up to 20. First day out a pipe sprung a small leak, so I had all the pipes, rad, pump, etc etc replaced and flushed out first thing, plus Haydn alarms fitted; 3 years later running sweet as a nut. :)

derek
Cheers Derek was that expensive to do all that please?
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:31 pm

I see you,ve posted in the Scotland section, where are you based, there are a few bongo friendly garages up here.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:52 am

lewisolivia wrote:
Dr Fingers wrote:IMO get the cooling system thoroughly checked, stripped down, replaced, whatever it takes. Even a young van is 10 years old, mine is coming up to 20. First day out a pipe sprung a small leak, so I had all the pipes, rad, pump, etc etc replaced and flushed out first thing, plus Haydn alarms fitted; 3 years later running sweet as a nut. :)

derek
Cheers Derek was that expensive to do all that please?
Without digging out all the receipts I can't remember, but would guess total for that work was itro £5-600, all done by Bongo savvy garage, I'm a hopeless mechanic. In comparison to buying a much newer vehicle of whatever type, I don't think it's expensive. As so often said, these are old machines, 10 years old at the youngest, any vehicle that age or more will need this sort of attention. My '95 N reg TD AFT (unconverted) has probably cost me about £6k in total, but it's completely mechanically sorted/serviced plus has good wheels and tyres. More than it's market value, yes, but (touches wood!) currently very reliable, and what else can you buy for £6k? 8)

Derek

Return to “Scotland”