Attached or driveaway awning - pros and cons

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

KMH
Bongonaut

Re: Attached or driveaway awning - pros and cons

Post by KMH » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks for the porch info, Snoozie. As you say it is bizarrely pricey, I think the tarp option is closer to my budget just now.
And as for the dog, it isn't so much that he is good, as that he is big and bouncy and if he and I were confined in the bongo for too long we might fall out with each other quite quickly! :wink:
I'm taking him away for the first time in a few weeks, so we'll see how it goes.
Mrs Muppet
Bongonaut

Post by Mrs Muppet » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:14 pm

We have just opted for a Fiamma wind out awning. Being fitted by Wellhouse Leisure in a couple of weeks. Can't wait! Been debating for a year now.

Parked up on a campsite on Friday in the pouring rain. Sat inside van with door shut and windows misting .... the Glum Family go camping. Another van arrived a little later, parked up near us, still pouring with rain .... 4 mins later, their Fiamma is out, two chairs under the awning and the lady of the van hands the man a cup of coffee which he drinks sitting on the van steps .... the Happy Family go camping!

It could have been an advert for Fiamma. I decided there and then .... WE ARE HAVING ONE!

A question to those who have one and use camp sites ...... do you have to declare it as an awning or can you call it a canopy and get away without added costs? ( She asks hopefully :-) )
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:29 pm

C&CC sites ask and we always say just a wind out on the side, never been charged extra, they normally ask that you keep the awning within the confines of a hard standing site or within the limits on grass.

Got to agree its great when damp, Driver raises roof, passenger jumps out and winds awning out, both jump into van to make drinks then sit as desired!

Just bear in mind that if your leaving the awning out for a while, do peg it down, sudden winds can and do lift the awnings off the ground and can do damage despite being lovely sunny (or wet) weather!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:49 pm

Mrs Muppet wrote:We have just opted for a Fiamma wind out awning. Being fitted by Wellhouse Leisure in a couple of weeks. Can't wait! Been debating for a year now.

Parked up on a campsite on Friday in the pouring rain. Sat inside van with door shut and windows misting .... the Glum Family go camping. Another van arrived a little later, parked up near us, still pouring with rain .... 4 mins later, their Fiamma is out, two chairs under the awning and the lady of the van hands the man a cup of coffee which he drinks sitting on the van steps .... the Happy Family go camping!

It could have been an advert for Fiamma. I decided there and then .... WE ARE HAVING ONE!

A question to those who have one and use camp sites ...... do you have to declare it as an awning or can you call it a canopy and get away without added costs? ( She asks hopefully :-) )
You're making me envious, though I do have a big Caravanstore for day outings if I want. Prefer a wind and insect proof enclosure for camping though, if forced to choose.
Snoozie
Bongolier

Post by Snoozie » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:54 pm

Well I bought one of those Outdoor Revolution Tech 200 porches because I found one on Gumtree close to me, little used for £80 (cheapest new price £124). It had been for sale for 15 days with no enquiries until just after mine when there were another two so I had first refusal. I figured it must have my name on it, serendipity and all that. Went to pick it up last night and today I got it out to see what they meant about beading attachment and whether it would fit in a figure of 8 - looks like it will.

But could I roll it up tight enough to get it back in the bag with the poles too? Nope! #-o Booger, and I was exhausted from trying :lol:
Beginning to wish I hadn't seen the ad and saved up for a fixed side awning :roll:

Still, I'll try it out a couple of times and see how it is when up. Maybe there will be some friendly campers around who might be prepared to help me roll it up tight again! [-o< I'll look for another bongo - bound to be friendly and helpful :D
Keep Calm and Bongo On!
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:25 am

We tend to use the Wind out most.... we have a Country Road awning...which is good....but the Wind out is favoured....used it Wednesday we got parked up at the site..... wound out the awning,chairs & table out...and the heavens opened... #-o #-o :roll: :roll: But we were dry and the tea was nice while sitting there watching fellow campers running around in the storm.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
tigger
Bongolier

Post by tigger » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:58 am

[quote="Snoozie"]Well I bought one of those Outdoor Revolution Tech 200 porches ...could I roll it up tight enough to get it back in the bag with the poles too? Nope![/quote]

First rule of all equipment bags seems to be that they are approx 10% smaller than the items they are 'designed' to hold unless said items have been packed at the factory by people who do it for a living...

As far as 'territory marking' goes, we generally make sure that we leave a couple of cheap foldable camping chairs up on the pitch when we (and the Bongo) are not about, plus any other non-valuable and doesn't-matter-if-it-gets-wet junk we have with us (buckets and spades etc). Seems to work, although I've never tried camping in Germany...
Snoozie
Bongolier

Post by Snoozie » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:22 pm

Oi! Mike ....wipe that smug expression ! :lol: :lol:

One day when I can afford a cage awning, I too will feel speshul ! :wink:

Only 10% too small tigger? I couldn't even get the tent bit back in the bag on its own after leaving the long bag of poles out #-o :lol: Why is it, which ever way you fold them up - into 3 or 4, the bag seems to be about 2 ins too short :?

I have some arthritis in the base of my thumbs now (my pool playing days are over :cry: ) which doesn't help to get a firm grip when rolling it up, but I also reckon you need a spare hand and knee to hold down the bit you have already rolled up.

If you camp in Germany you might need 2 large towels to mark your spot!

Wonder if there's a market for a Bongo pitch reserved sign?

Keep Calm and Bongo On!
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:25 pm

tigger wrote:....although I've never tried camping in Germany...
We have, this was on the Müllenbach campsite at the Nürburgring. They seemed to lack a sense of humour over the flag we were flying.... :twisted:

Snoozie
Bongolier

Post by Snoozie » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:29 pm

:lol:
Keep Calm and Bongo On!
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:36 pm

Mrs Muppet wrote:We have just opted for a Fiamma wind out awning. Being fitted by Wellhouse Leisure in a couple of weeks. Can't wait! Been debating for a year now.

Never declared as an awning on campsites it is part of van. Ours is supplied and fitted by wellhouse it is brilliant, best addition to bongo we have.
Mrs Muppet
Bongonaut

Post by Mrs Muppet » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:59 pm

Thank you al and chris. That is very reassuring :-)
bunny_mac
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bunny_mac » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:26 pm

Snoozie wrote:Here it is

The Sunncamp taller one was £65, but this similar Outdoor Revolution one for campervan height 180cm-220cm is £125 from Leisure Outlet (11% off, RRP £140).

http://www.leisureoutlet.com/caravans-a ... rettyPhoto

Must say I quite like the look of this, if it is not too difficult to attach. It says 'with twin beading to attach to either your awning channel or wind-out awning'. I can't wait to get my Bongo back from the garage (Tuesday I hope) to see if I have an awning channel.

An attached Fiamma or similar would be great but as Mikeonb4c said, it would cost a packet with side panels too, probably about £500+ I would think.
Hi Snoozie,

Did you have an awning channel?! Interested to see how easy this particular canopy would be to fit as it looks like the sort of thing I'm after. I have no idea what 'twin beading' is... am a bit in the dark with awning-speak!!

B
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:13 pm

bunny_mac wrote:

The Sunncamp taller one was £65, but this similar Outdoor Revolution one for campervan height 180cm-220cm is £125 from Leisure Outlet (11% off, RRP £140).

Must say I quite like the look of this, if it is not too difficult to attach. It says 'with twin beading to attach to either your awning channel or wind-out awning'. I can't wait to get my Bongo back from the garage (Tuesday I hope) to see if I have an awning channel.

An attached Fiamma or similar would be great but as Mikeonb4c said, it would cost a packet with side panels too, probably about £500+ I would think.
Hi Snoozie,

Did you have an awning channel?! Interested to see how easy this particular canopy would be to fit as it looks like the sort of thing I'm after. I have no idea what 'twin beading' is... am a bit in the dark with awning-speak!!

B
Must admit I like that too. I'll be interested to hear how you find it in use Snoozie
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:15 pm

bunny_mac wrote:

Hi Snoozie,

B
Twin beading means the running cord on both sides of the webbing. You can attach either side. Mmmm difficult to explain. Different sizes available.

http://www.camperlands.co.uk/double-edg ... strip.html
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”