Tap problems - please help!

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: Tap problems - please help!

Post by Gasy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:29 am

Don't really matter that you have a hot and cold tap as long as the hot pipe is capped off
I can only up load your pic of below
If connections are not leaking there and your tap is leaking above sink
Then it's a faulty tap
As for low pressure as long as the hot pipe is capped ( presuming you don't have a hot water supply ) then as long as your pump is ok , it's a faulty tap ( quality of things these days I'm afraid , send it back )
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
tizerdog
Junior Bongonaut

Post by tizerdog » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:33 am

Thank you for the advice. How annoying to have to start again with a nee tap! Is there any particular brand or model you can recommend when I order a new one?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:23 pm

Try disconnecting the pipe from the bottom of the tap and see what the flow is like when the pump is running. If its not great then the problem is with the pump or pipework. Plastic pipe can tend to collapse over time especially if bent round corners.
tizerdog
Junior Bongonaut

Post by tizerdog » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:26 am

The pipe is relatively new and the pump and tap are brand new. It looks as though I'll have to find a plumber as I wouldn't know how to go about disconnecting the pipe and don't want to make matters worse!
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. :)
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:16 am

A caravan repair place would be the best as they are used to the mickey mouse plumbing on campervans and caravans. So much is just trial and error with often very poor quality components. Whale pumps do not have a very long life and my last tap failed after a month of use, just poor quality.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 am

I'd be very surprised if the tap is your problem because it is just a tap. If it is opening and closing then it doesn't have any effect on the flow that you are getting out of it. It is more likely to be the pump or pipework that is restricting flow. It should be quite easy to disconnect the pipework just after the pump and check the flow. It looks like you have push in fittings so you just depress the inner ring of the fitting while pulling on the pipe and it should just slide out. Then place the end of the pipe into a container and switch on the tap (which operates the microswitch to tell the pump to run). You should be able to see if the flow is adequate.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:06 pm

Is the tap a mixer tap or a separate hot and cold. (I read mixer)
I've a reich mixer tap (not cheap) that with hot and cold connected together (as yours is) leaked when set to on cold or hot. It doesn't with cold to cold and hot as return to water tank.
These taps will not withstand water pressure with tap closed. with both connected you turn on one, the pump runs and applies water pressure to the other which leaks and less than expected out of the right hole.
If you have a mixer tap do as above (cold to cold and hot as return to water tank.)
separate hot and cold just don't connect hot just to cold only (remove T joint) and leave turned off.
Hope this makes sense.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:51 pm

any comment on last post?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:23 am

Seems to make sense. I've got a Y adapter on my tap and the trouble is that you've only got full blast or off. Never had any leak issues with this arrangement as the tap seems designed to take the pressure from a standard Whale type pump. I had considered blocking the hot feed so I could adjust the flow by altering the tap from hot to cold postition. Running a return pipe back to the tank is a good suggestion, but unless the tank has a suitable fitting for a spare pipe, then it may not really be feasible.
tizerdog
Junior Bongonaut

Post by tizerdog » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:16 pm

Hi there. I've been away for the weekend and have only just seen the last few comments, which are extremely helpful. Thank you so much. I won't be attempting any adjustments myself but will pass on all the suggestions and ideas to whoever is going to look at this for me. I am sure the information you have kindly shared will come in handy. Thanks again and I will let you know how I get on! :D

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”