Fumes in cab - V6 ?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Re: Fumes in cab ?

Post by Jim the Box » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:42 am

Simon Jones wrote:
Jim the Box wrote:... is it just a case of removing the 4 holding down bolts for the seat runners and removing the front seat completely and then tilting the hatch up.
There's a fifth bolt behind the seat that secures the seat belt mounting track to the hatch. There will also be a connector to disconnect, but as long as the bolts come undone ok (not too tight), then you can whip the seat out in under 5 minutes. Good opportunity to check the gearbox oil, power steering fluid and air filter while you have easy access.
Raining again today, will check drivers side this week first chance I get, new to this so it will help me get familiar with the engine.The passenger side of the engine was spotless, fingers crossed its the same on the drivers side. Thanks for all the help and advice.
Jim
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
TrickyBongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by TrickyBongo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:13 pm

What would we do without forums?
I found this thread whilst searching for my problem similar to those in the original post.
i too get fumes in the cab, but it only seems to happen once the engine is up to temperature and the thrmostatt is fully opened. then i get the fumes for a minute or two.
I have checked the drive for signs of an oil leak, but as it is dark when i get home from work i haven't looked in the engine bay yet, but i will look for the signs as described in previous posts.
if i don't come up with a satisfatory explanation does anyone know of any Bongo friendly garages in the South Essex part of the country.
for the record, i have a V6 petrol
many thanks
Ricky
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:58 pm

What sort of fumes are they? Is it oily, exhausty, rubbery or plasticky? Try pulling the HT leads off the plugs and look down inside. It's not uncommon for the rocker cover gasket to leak which lets oil down into the spark plug bores.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:31 pm

We've had one or two v6s with this problem which i think, from memory turned out be leaky (crankcase?) seals, dropping oil onto hot (exhaust?) surfaces. Maybe Simon can recall the details?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:52 pm

Vaguely rings a bell. There's no substitute for a decent torch and your own nose when it comes to trying to find this sort of thing. Any oil leak will leave a trace and if it's dripping onto the exhaust you should be able to see smoke coming off the hot surface.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:58 pm

Found this old thread:

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... mell+crank

..though there may be others.
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:30 am

I finally got the rocker cover seals replaced on my V6 last week. Apparently the seals had gone fragile with age, Oct 95. Cam and crank seals appear fine, but I intend to add some Forte cam sealent in the hope of prolonging things as long as possible. Does anyone have a contact where I can get hold of this? Geoff found a source on eBay I believe. There was a bit of oil in one cylinder, so this might have been causing the slight whiff I have experiencing occasionaly. Not much though the plug was fine.

Now I just need some more cold weather to check if the occasional stall on changing over to LPG has gone. Difficult to tell as I have changed my driving style and now give it a slight rev if I have to stop when it is near the changeover point. This has taken me through the last weeks of freezing mornings without any repeat.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:18 am

I think it was Simon or Mike (apologies if I have got the names wrong ) who helped me source products which when added to the engine oil soften the oil seals and reduce the leakage, one was a whinns product, can't remember the name of the other, however one I added to my Renault Master van which seems to have stopped the leak, the other is in my bongo which appeared not to be leaking but i thought I would add it as a precaution anyway. If it does not do any harm I feel anyone with a V6 should add this as a precautionary measure and should help to prolong the life of the seals.

Jim.....
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:49 am

Its still available on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORTE-SEAL-CO ... 3ccd2e355d
Ours has definitely started leaking again, so it will have to be in for the work to be done shortly.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Forte Seal ordered. Unlikely to do any harm and it might do a lot of good, if the other seals are approaching the state of the rocker cover seals.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion

Return to “Techie Stuff”