Is it possible to flatten the armrest for sleeping?

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

mountainmummy
Bongolier

Is it possible to flatten the armrest for sleeping?

Post by mountainmummy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi

We have an unconverted Freda and manage to sleep OK on the middle and rear seats. It's usually me and the kids with hubby in the roof.

However, as it's now getting chilly up here Donald has been asking to join us downstairs in the warm toasty bit of the Freda :roll: We still manage to sleep with four of us on the flattened middle and rear seats but do find the lump where the middle seat armrest sticks up a bit of a trial.

Is there any built in way of flattening this that we haven't worked out yet??

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Re: Is it possible to flatten the armrest for sleeping?

Post by MountainGoat » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Hi Sara,

Have you thought of using a VW website supplied cab bed for your youngest. People on here have said that they have used them with kids up to four years old.

Tony

http://www.vw-beds.com/products/bongo.html
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:31 pm

There are lots of different options that people use such as inflatable mattresses or foam cushions. Having tried a few options, I went for complete reupholstery of the seat which results in a very flat comfortable bed. A few photos on my post here:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ed#p539670
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:38 pm

the cab beds say tested up to 10 stone so bigger than the average 4 year old i know a nine year old who sleeps comfy on one -a wall sided airbed sorted the lumpy bed issue for us.
Tomo 53
Bongolier

Post by Tomo 53 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:15 pm

karena wrote:the cab beds say tested up to 10 stone so bigger than the average 4 year old i know a nine year old who sleeps comfy on one -a wall sided airbed sorted the lumpy bed issue for us.

if you are noticing the center arm rest sticking up it,s a easy fix just remove the hinge mechanism by removing a few screws then use Velcro to re fit it i did this and then bought the fillet mattress from the bongo club shop worked OK for a year or so now removed both bench seats and replaced with a rock and roll bed with 7.5 inch thick memory foam cushions as a mattress, first live test this weekend at Alithwaite.
Tomo
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:02 pm

My middle seats stick a bit - of the two reclining knuckle things on the side (there's the lower lever and the top knob), I have to give the top knob a wiggle and the hinge by the armrest will drop another inch or so. Yours might already move freely, but worth checking that the back rest does recline and drop fully. As I said, mine doesn't without pursuation.

Alternatively, instead of removing the hump, build up the hollows.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi Matt

When we recline the seats we've just been pulling the lower leaver. I was wondering if we could wiggle the top one to make the middle drop a bit. I've pulled it a few times by accident (when putting the seats back up) and noticed it seemed to free up the middle of the seats a little.

I'll have a fiddle this weekend. Failing that perhaps you can show us at the Squirrel in Oct.

Cheers

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”