So, where are you off to this year?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Alison01326
Supreme Being

Re: So, where are you off to this year?

Post by Alison01326 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:35 pm

Nick65 wrote:If you come to Poole on Tuesday nights, we have Biker nights on the Quay. Quite stunning to see up to 3,000 motorbikes roaring on and off. Starts unofficially around 3/4 and finishes around 8pm. Best time to go is about 5 to see them piling in.
Oh my Lord, the boy will be in his element! I'd better not tell him.

Anyway, looks like the New Forest is on for the first week or so of the Summer holidays. If we can afford it :( Ridiculous prices! As we'll be there for over a week we do need a hookup and loos and at the very least a rope hanging off a tree to keep the boy out of the way when important work needs to be done (cooking for example).

We've also booked our first hol of the year just up the road at Hendra Holiday Park in Newquay. Done through the C&CC via the BCC section who have organised a temporary holiday site there. £8.30 per night including hookup. We're going with friends for a goodly part of the Easter holidays.

I do love a bargain :D
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:23 am

mentaliss wrote:
Nick65 wrote:Me, as usual (Is that good English??) and my family are going to the South of France for a change!!! OK, so we've only been going to the same Villa for the past 6 years. I used to sit and whinge about people who did that, I thought they had no imagination etc etc etc. But you do get comfortable about these things and we do so many different things when we get there.

Besides that, it is the perfect place for my disability, as it means it only takes me 2 minutes to walk into town for the bars, cafes, restaurants, museums etc. So therefore my wife and daughter can go off and do some shopping while I browse the museums and cafes in Aigues Mortes.

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/France ... p19737.htm

So, where are you off to this year?
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:21 am

In keeping with my policy of not publicising the fact that I'm going away, I am pleased to announce that we have already been to and are now back, for the umpteenth time, from

Scarborough

We find it a cheap place to stay, albeit rather scruffy compared to resorts nearby. The major cost is the journey to get there. Our daily expenses for everything including accomodation don't exceed £40 (for a couple, not each).

We don't need a car as we can walk to the bus station and take a ride to a beach near Plymouth for approximately 20 pence each way.

The market is nearby, full of exotic vegetables, sweet fig bananas and pineapples.

Last Monday and Tuesday I was cavorting with scantily dressed girls, thousands of them, along the sea front Esplanade.

The air temperature in January and February is about 29C and the sea is warmer than the swimming baths back here in Bexley.

Interestingly, very few tourists choose to stay in the town, most stay at the airport end of Tobago.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:55 am

:lol: :lol:
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Sun May 27, 2012 9:32 am

So, anyone else going anywhere this year or is it a case of suck it and see?
Bainsy
Bongonaut

Post by Bainsy » Sun May 27, 2012 12:31 pm

The wife and I have driven to our villa in the Algarve. We are here now and went camping on the West coast which is beautiful. We always get the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander and then drive the 670 miles via Salamanca and Seville. Don't see many Bongos on the way and ours seems to attract quite a lot of interest. Only owned ours since early March but loving every thing about it.
Nigel

New Shape White over Silver V6 LPG JAL Side Conversion Mushroom Roof
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Sun May 27, 2012 1:00 pm

Heading off to Budapest in August for Sizget festival (6 days), then heading up to Poland, before going South again to Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Italy, Crossing the alps (Stelvio pass 8) ) into Switzerland. Back to Amsterdam for the ferry via France or Germany.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Hollis

Post by Hollis » Sun May 27, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi

That Dave sounds fantastic wish I was brave enough to do it.

Derek
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Sun May 27, 2012 3:40 pm

Go for it!

We did a European tour in 2010, Scotland - England - France - Highest Pass in the Alps - Italy - Slovenia - Austria - Germany - Holland - Belgium - France - England - Home. 3 weeks, and lots of fun.

It sounds a bit intimidating at first, but in all these places there are thousands of people driving about in bog standard wee cars - all perfectly civilised. All you do on a tour like this is join up these places with short(ish) drives every day or two.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Moose
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Moose » Sun May 27, 2012 9:22 pm

We are off to do a tour of the Normandy beaches for the D-Day memorials then on to Le Mans and Nantes.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon May 28, 2012 10:21 am

We are gearing up (finally) for some camping in Ruby, (95 AFT) having been sorting out some mechanicals, but apart from that, we have a 'best kept secret' in Greece. Nice 2 room air-con'd apartment literally on the (sandy) beach, sea view, half a dozen tavernas, one bar, a few mini markets/shops,no discos , no hotels, no screaming kids, and the best charcoal BBQ'd octopus in the known universe. Local rose very quaffable, plus lots of free Ouzo's in the tavernas once they know you.

45Eu a night inc the air con, we just have to brave Easyjet.

We've been staying here for 7 years, but don't let too many people know about it.. :wink: :wink:

Derek
turbodave
Bongolier

Post by turbodave » Mon May 28, 2012 11:24 am

Hi folks, My daughter , my wife and I (no son this year) shall be Bongoing down the West coast of France this Summer, staying for a week at a campsite in Vieux Boucau and then returning to our favourite haunt of Hourtin Plage for 2 weeks...can't wait! Dave
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue May 29, 2012 8:17 pm

We''ll wave if we see you Dave.

Coming back that way mid Sept after a trip to see a cousin in Marseille and then back again from Cauterets.
Might not be in the Bongo though, not decided yet. Depends if we can get all the stuff we are taking down to Cauterets in the Yeti which is doing about 46mpg against the Bongo's 28.

Return to “Going Abroad”