Best site to book the chunnel

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Best site to book the chunnel

Post by M 80NGO » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi we want to take l'oreal and trailer down to limoges again to see some friend this summer but this time we want to us the chunnel from ashford, do any of you nice people know of a good website for doing this and also can we only go as far as calais on the train or is it possible to get further into france on the train with the Bongo ?

Thanx, Pete.
briwy
Supreme Being

Re: Best site to book the chunnel

Post by briwy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:20 pm

When I've used the tunnel I always end up using the official site, seems to be as cheap as anywhere.

BTW, don't forget your breathalyser :roll:
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:33 pm

It doesn't leave from Ashford that is the Eurostar passenger service, Eurotunnel leaves from near Folkestone and as said the Eurotunnel site is as good as any.
The cheapest way to buy a ticket is with Tesco Rewards Vouchers (that's if you collect them/shop at Tesco) as each £10 of them is worth £30 in Eurotunnel fares.
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:03 am

Pete - You can get motor rail from Calais or Paris.

Not sure if you can get to Limoges though.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:40 am

Nick65 wrote: You can get motor rail from Calais

Not any more
What is Motorail?

Normal passenger trains don't carry cars or motorbikes, just passengers and sometimes bicycles. However, there are special 'Motorail' trains which carry cars & motorbikes using car transporters attached to the train. These run on a handful of holiday routes, see the motorail route map below. They're usually summer-only and usually only once or twice a week. They are run by several operators. You must first take a ferry or Eurotunnel shuttle across the Channel, as motorail trains cannot use the Channel Tunnel, they start at either Düsseldorf (Germany) or s'Hertogenbosch (Netherlands) or Paris, but no longer (as of 2010) from Calais. Motorail trains carry cars, motorbikes, small trailers & roof boxes, and on many routes you can now take some over-height 4x4 vehicles & people carriers. However, they can't carry big 4X4s, vans, caravans or campers, as these are too high. There are no motorail trains within the UK, these ceased in 1995.
from
http://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Post by M 80NGO » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:01 pm

Thanx for the info guys most helpful =D> :wink:
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:17 pm

Second the Tesco voucher deal.
We've just exchanged £65 worth of vouchers which will get us return Chunnel in August, which would normally cost £196!

No brainer to me.

Cheers

Andrew
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:00 am

scanner wrote:
Nick65 wrote: You can get motor rail from Calais

Not any more
What is Motorail?

Normal passenger trains don't carry cars or motorbikes, just passengers and sometimes bicycles. However, there are special 'Motorail' trains which carry cars & motorbikes using car transporters attached to the train. These run on a handful of holiday routes, see the motorail route map below. They're usually summer-only and usually only once or twice a week. They are run by several operators. You must first take a ferry or Eurotunnel shuttle across the Channel, as motorail trains cannot use the Channel Tunnel, they start at either Düsseldorf (Germany) or s'Hertogenbosch (Netherlands) or Paris, but no longer (as of 2010) from Calais. Motorail trains carry cars, motorbikes, small trailers & roof boxes, and on many routes you can now take some over-height 4x4 vehicles & people carriers. However, they can't carry big 4X4s, vans, caravans or campers, as these are too high. There are no motorail trains within the UK, these ceased in 1995.
from
http://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm
That's a shame, but to be honest I'm not surprised.

Return to “Going Abroad”