Can you tell what it is yet?

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Scott & Gillian
Bongolier

Re: Can you tell what it is yet?

Post by Scott & Gillian » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:40 pm

Brilliant! =D> =D>
Like the centre console table as well!
I'm a collector of random things. Anything. But not glitter, which is nasty.
www.random-things.co.uk
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:36 pm

That was a genuine Mazda accessory I got on eBay - made the table top and sliding 'tongue' underneath myself to match the rest of the woodwork.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
billymansell
Bongolier

Post by billymansell » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:37 am

On the theme of swivel seats, I see on eBay that SouthernBongos are advertising their rear conversion with their own brand new swivel middle row of seats.

Has anyone seen one in action? I guess you lose stowage space under the seats but retain use of forward facing seats with the two three point belts on the sides.

I'll probably be looking at a rear when I get my Bongo but was concerned about the comfort and safety of passengers with rearward seats and lap straps on the odd occasion when I'd be carrying people
The all black 2.5 V6 - "looks more like a pimpmobile than a playbus"
sdsk
Bongolier

Post by sdsk » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:06 am

Budget Bongos in Southampton were fitting a swivel to a middle row of seats when I looked round there earlier in the year.
I didn't like the idea of carrying passengers on that one, but can see its advantages if there were just two of you.
ImageImage
2001 Aero 2.0l JAL Skylift roof & K2 Campers Intrepid Rear conversion in Carbon Fibre
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:05 pm

dave_aber wrote:I did think about that, but it's not for me. I also toyed with the idea of doing a few conversions for sale, but at this point in time it's not for me either. I really enjoy tinkering with these sort of wee projects, but I would not be so rewarded by 'turning the handle' on a production run.

So, I have the drawings freely available if anyone feels they want to have a go at copying it. To be honest, it isn't tricky if you can drive a hacksaw and a welder. The hard work in these things is the trial and error getting it to work out right - and I admit with inspiration from Bob's youtube video and some time spent using CAD to model it I got lucky with the dims / offset and it worked right first time (and not as I'd worked out either - lucky fluke!)

PM me your email address if you want drawings
I agree with you about all this. Its fun to invent / create for youself, but a chore when it becomes a £s earnings obligation, unless you really are up for it (as Madmile is, for example). You have to think through all the angles when considering a jump from (good) amateur to pro. I get a lot of pleasure out of just trying madcap things and then passing the idea on to those who might be interested (in throwing such a daft idea in the bin) :lol: :lol: :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:05 pm

dave_aber wrote:I did think about that, but it's not for me. I also toyed with the idea of doing a few conversions for sale, but at this point in time it's not for me either. I really enjoy tinkering with these sort of wee projects, but I would not be so rewarded by 'turning the handle' on a production run.

So, I have the drawings freely available if anyone feels they want to have a go at copying it. To be honest, it isn't tricky if you can drive a hacksaw and a welder. The hard work in these things is the trial and error getting it to work out right - and I admit with inspiration from Bob's youtube video and some time spent using CAD to model it I got lucky with the dims / offset and it worked right first time (and not as I'd worked out either - lucky fluke!)

PM me your email address if you want drawings
I agree with you about all this. Its fun to invent / create for youself, but a chore when it becomes a £s earnings obligation, unless you really are up for it (as Madmile is, for example). You have to think through all the angles when considering a jump from (good) amateur to pro. I get a lot of pleasure out of just trying madcap things and then passing the idea on to those who might be interested (in throwing such a daft idea in the bin) :lol: :lol: :lol:
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:14 pm

Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:24 pm

Blimey - where do you find them!!!
dblake
Bongolier

Post by dblake » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:01 pm

Oh my - that would be my perfect Bongo interior! Want..... :mrgreen:
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:57 pm

You could create quite an interesting conversion around a delica middle seat which rotates through 90 degrees and then slides to the side of the vehicle.
Image...Image
nicstrike
Tribal Elder

Post by nicstrike » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:08 pm

smart job!! as you say , removable steering wheel and bingo , drivers swivel too. fit a swivel middle row and it would be like being on the waltzers (please pass the sick bag!)
corblimey
Supreme Being

Post by corblimey » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:48 pm

How does that bench seat swivel then, that would save me no end of trouble. Perhaps that could be your next project Dave! Nice front swivel btw :D
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:50 pm

Come on folks, surely one of the crowd who got a set of drawings has made a copy by now - photos! It's the law etc.
Image...Image
BongoMTBer

Post by BongoMTBer » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:58 pm

I will when I get a chance. It's toally awesome!
JimD
Junior Bongonaut

Post by JimD » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:46 pm

Hi Dave,
you sent me a copy of your drawings. Thanks for that. Where did you get the seat swivel, and how did you choose the version? I found http://www.campervanconversion.co.uk/sh ... at-swivels, but there are a lot of different models there!

Maybe you could contact them, and let them market your version ready-welded as a kit? For a fee of course ;)

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”