Western Isles

psquiddy
Bongolier

Western Isles

Post by psquiddy » Thu May 12, 2011 9:30 pm

We are going touring the Hebrides in late May/early June - approximate route is planned to be:

South London
A couple of stops before Scotland
Annan
Kilmartin
Oban - Isle of Mull
Mull - Mainland (Fishnish - Lochaline)
Mallaig - Skye
Skye - Tarbert (Harris)
Stornoway - Ullapool
Durness
Back to England, route not planned yet

We are off in about 2 weeks from now but - should we book ferries and campsites in advance i.e. now, or 24/12 hours ahead or just turn up?

Just turning up is my preference as it makes things more flexible, but some of the ferries only have a couple of sailings per day.

Any suggestions for excellent places to visit and Bongo friendly camp sites also appreciated.
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Re: Western Isles

Post by dandywarhol » Thu May 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Look at some of the Calmac Island Hoppers for value.

I suggest booking - Calmac don't charge for changing a booking once made.....enjoy!

Have a look here for camping http://www.scottishcamping.com/

Excellent camping, albeit basic at Sligahan on Skye, Horgabost on Harris, Cnip (Kneep/Reef, all the same place :? ) on Lewis

Here's a few pics I posted from Easter http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v641/ ... ides%2011/
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
munroman
Tribal Elder

Post by munroman » Thu May 12, 2011 10:23 pm

If you are going to Durness, nearby is Balnakiel, an old RAF base, just past it at the road end there is a huge beach which leads out to a sandy headland with huge dunes.

On top is a control tower, where they watch the planes bomb an island just off the coast.

Depending on the season you can see puffins feeding their young.

The Kylesku Hotel does great seafood, the bar food is just the same as the Restaurant, but much cheaper, all the seafood is caught that day, so the menu depends on the catch.

They do a mean rack of prawns.

Enjoy! :)
When asked about Western Civilisation, Ghandi said 'that would be a good idea'...
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu May 12, 2011 10:34 pm

It must be a long time since I last went to Sligahan campsite. I only have horrible memories of it as one of the worst for midges, don't tell me that it has been cleaned up. Last time we were on Skye we chose Kinloch Campsite near Dunvegan which was midge free. Got to agree with you about the other two campsites though.

On North Harris there is a great free place to camp at the end of the single track road to Hushinish with a water tap and a public toilet laid on to boot.

Road to Hushinish

Free wild camping for tents and motorhomes off track to Jetty facing Scarp Island

Toilet & Water Point at end of public road with Taransay Island in the background.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri May 13, 2011 7:14 am

Check out our 2009 tour here.... http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 37&t=34038 :wink:

Plenty of wild-camping in the Hebrides, some with toilets & water :D
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Fri May 13, 2011 11:16 am

MountainGoat wrote:It must be a long time since I last went to Sligahan campsite. I only have horrible memories of it as one of the worst for midges, don't tell me that it has been cleaned up. Last time we were on Skye we chose Kinloch Campsite near Dunvegan which was midge free. Got to agree with you about the other two campsites though.

On North Harris there is a great free place to camp at the end of the single track road to Hushinish with a water tap and a public toilet laid on to boot.

Road to Hushinish

Free wild camping for tents and motorhomes off track to Jetty facing Scarp Island

Toilet & Water Point at end of public road with Taransay Island in the background.

Tony
Ah, so thats Hushinish - been meaning to go there and just haven't got round to it - maybe next time :D
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Fri May 13, 2011 6:13 pm

There is a little car park right next to the toilet block which takes about 6 cars. You can park up there if you don't fancy taking your posh new motorhome down the track to the Scarp jetty. But I have seen bigger motor homes than yours next to the slipway Alan. Last time I was there in my Bongo with June we arrived late as usual so spent the night in the car park.

Tony

More photos:

Scarp Island

BBQ time besides the slipway
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Fri May 13, 2011 7:14 pm

Just back from Harris and Lewis DEFINITELY book the ferries, In summer it is nigh on impossible to be guaranteed a turn up and drive on.

On Skye Sligahan campsite is there and clean but the midges can be nuts. The hotel there charges £8.50 for a very average fish and chips (greasy) and £9 for a steak and ale pie.

Cinp Kneep and Reef Camp site is a lovely place to go. You can wild camp in many places. If it is not ok they will advise. Some sites are drop the money in an envelope in an honesty box. We noticed that on Lewis they are actually making some hard stands (no facilities) for camper vans.

For midge protection buy some Smidge which can be found on the Scottish Midge Forecast website. Meanwhile when you get there kick back and enjoy. I can't wait to go back :D
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Fri May 13, 2011 9:17 pm

There must be an awful lot more people going to the Western Isle these days now that the price of the ferries have come down. In late May 2007 we did the hoppscotch from Oban to Barra to Lewis just booking the boat from Oban and had no problems just turning up to get on the other boats including the one from Stornoway to Ullapool.

Tony
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Sat May 14, 2011 8:50 am

MountainGoat wrote:There must be an awful lot more people going to the Western Isle these days now that the price of the ferries have come down. In late May 2007 we did the hoppscotch from Oban to Barra to Lewis just booking the boat from Oban and had no problems just turning up to get on the other boats including the one from Stornoway to Ullapool.

Tony

Even Last week the ferry from Uig to Tarbert was full

We tried to book a ferry last year last minute and they could not get us back! I didn't want to risk the Stornoway/Ullapool ferry because if you don't make the main one they will put you on the freightliner known locally as the Frightener. I am not a good sailor. If you have a deadline I would definitely recommend booking the home ferry. Also bear in mind that if you do not turn up at the book in time they may well give your place to some one else.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sat May 14, 2011 12:19 pm

It's good that people are making use of the Scottish government's subsidised fares - I just wish the ungrateful minority would consider using the local shos for groceries and keep the place in as good if not better condition as when they found it.

Too many ignorant campers are leaving their rubbish behind or emptying their waste tanks onto the fragile machair and destroying the beauty of what they came to see................

Rant over - enjoy your trips :)
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
psquiddy
Bongolier

Post by psquiddy » Sun May 15, 2011 7:38 pm

Thanks for the help folks there are some great ideas there - we will be booking the ferries before we go and probably waiting to see about campsites/wild camping.

We went to Sligachan last year and there were plenty of midges there then, but they were only really annoying first thing in the morning.
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

Return to “Scotland”