Lookin for my first Bongo - help please!

Klikchik
Bongonaut

Lookin for my first Bongo - help please!

Post by Klikchik » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:26 am

Hi Folks would really appreciate any advice please for my first Bongo purchase.
Have trawled through page upon page on the web and viewed one today but we still have some questions.
Its for 2 adults and we will occasionally be accompanied by 2 children.

So, hard flat top or free open top? Have seen an immaculate 1996 diesel flat top with very low miles (35,000) but will we regret it not having extra head height?

The model we saw has a fixed rear, side conversion and the original bench seat is facing backwards. Can we turn the bench to face the cabin or does the kitchen unit have to come out first to slide it out?

And the main question of the day...is a model this age going to be money draining rust bucket like a local motorhome dealer suggested???!! It appears to me that these imported bongos are generally in really good nic despite their age or am I just being naive?!

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Klikchik ;)
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Re: Lookin for my first Bongo - help please!

Post by MountainGoat » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:07 am

There are quite a few Bongo owners around your neck of the woods. Occassionaly they have a day meet to which you should go to have a look around the various options available. Like all makes of vehicles the are good ones and lemons around, if you are worried about being fobbed off with a lemon then use a reputable dealer like Bill at Capercraft in Fife rather than buying privately.

I bought mine from Japanese Auto Locators as a fresh import in January 2007 and after first class undersealing job it is still as rust free as the day I bought it. The Japanese do not underseal their cars for the home market as they don't use salt on their roads and it is very expensive to run a car more than 3 years old in Japan due to their laws.

With two children (how big?) you definitly need an Auto Free Top if you intend to use your Bongo for camping and they don't want to sleep in a tent.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:25 am

If you are willing to travel down as far as Fife then you should have a look at Dairsie Autopoint and Campers Scotland as well. have a look at your local Gumtree as well :wink: I noticed there was one advertised there last week.

Happy hunting!!
.co.uk
Bongolier

Post by .co.uk » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:36 pm

Hi,

I am considering selling my Bongo. It's a white over grey, 'R' registered van, unconverted with 29,000 miles on it. It has the AFT roof. It's a 2.5 V6 petrol. These are quieter than the diesel's and the difference in fuel economy is only a few miles per gallon. I use it for camping and take along a small stove etc as I prefer to cook outdoors in the summer. I also have a removable bike rack and thermal window covers for the front cab and rear window. I stay in Elgin. PM me if you would like to know more about my Bongo.

Alternatively, check out the Dickson's of Perth website. http://www.dicksonsofperth.co.uk They have Bongo's, converted and unconverted.

Thanks,
Thomas
[b]G'day from The People's Republic of the Bongo![/b]

www.thomasgorman.co.uk
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:40 pm

At the moment Dickson's doesn't seem to have any Bongo's. Dairsie is expensive and he is not always helpful. Bill at Campercraft in Kirkcaldy sold us a beautiful van two years ago and is very helpful.
Tom you are not to sell your bongo you will regret it (it is beautiful)
Chrissy
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:29 pm

Thomas....... [-X [-X [-X listen to Chrissy. You know she is right :wink:

Klikchik. Another thought.... Scottish Bongo Bash is in Fife, weekend of 20th, 21st and 22nd May. should be around 30 vans to have a look at if you want to get some ideas. (bet you can't wait that long? :lol: )
.co.uk
Bongolier

Post by .co.uk » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:42 pm

According to their website, Dickson's have three for sale at the moment. There are a few garages in Scotland that sell Bongo's. http://www.directcampers.me.uk is another. They are based in Kilmarnock and mostly sell converted vans. They are expensive but the conversions are brand new.
[b]G'day from The People's Republic of the Bongo![/b]

www.thomasgorman.co.uk
Klikchik
Bongonaut

Post by Klikchik » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks to everyone for your replies, really helpful.

Thomas...think at the moment we're looking for some sort of conversion thanks...so your decision is safe for now!! :wink:

Have chatted to the guy at Dicksons, he has one converted one, is it true using the seats as a bed is really uncomfortable and the rock n roll bed is better? Also how easy is it to move the kitchen unit from the back to the mid point instead?

Much appreciate your help folks

Klikchik

Klikchik ;)
rapiddescent
Bongolier

Post by rapiddescent » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:14 pm

+1 for bill (campercraft). I was there today in fact at the new place in kirkcaldy.

I posted on the other thread, essentially saying that a free top of some kind is really worth it - for living accommodation "upstairs" - whilst it may be a bit of a squeeze for two +10 yr olds, younger ones will love it. my van (see avatar) is actually a hard top but has been converted with an after market pop up roof - it works well actually and in these days of fewer auto free tops coming over from japan - it may be more of a solution as time goes on.

best of luck in your search.
Ford Freda owning mountain biker dude
Welshcav

Post by Welshcav » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:12 pm

rapiddescent wrote:+1 for bill (campercraft). I was there today in fact at the new place in kirkcaldy.

I posted on the other thread, essentially saying that a free top of some kind is really worth it - for living accommodation "upstairs" - whilst it may be a bit of a squeeze for two +10 yr olds, younger ones will love it. my van (see avatar) is actually a hard top but has been converted with an after market pop up roof - it works well actually and in these days of fewer auto free tops coming over from japan - it may be more of a solution as time goes on.

best of luck in your search.
Did you see my poorly white over silver AFT getting the turbo sorted?

Karl
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:37 pm

is it true using the seats as a bed is really uncomfortable and the rock n roll bed is better?
For sleeping in that is probably true but the rock'n'roll bed makes an uncomfortable seat for traveling long distances in. I have one and my passengers in the back are always complaining. Not tried them myself but the best option may be retaining the existing seats and having them re-upholstered to make a flat bed. It can be done as there is a thread about it in the conversions section above.

Tony
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:39 pm

I remember that one in Kilmarnock. It may be a new one or it may have changed its name. years ago it had a reputation for its Bongos being expensive.

Tony
buddyh42
Bongolier

Post by buddyh42 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:35 pm

Our Bongo has the normal seats in it that we sleep on and I dont find it uncomfy at all & the wife gets a better sleep in the Bongo than she does in our £1,000 bed, so much for buying the best bed EH!!! should have just bought a Bongo back seat...lol
That'll Be The Day.........

'99 Silver V6 Moonfleet Conversion
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:36 am

Dunslair I see Tom is trying to ignore us!

Klikchik Ours is an unconverted AFT. I love the height and use a memory foam matress on top of the seats to sleep on (Toasty warm). Unconverted means we can cart more people around, use it as a workhorse and generally love it.
For cooking I have a suitcase, two ring one grill, cooker that sits on a foldaway stand. I use cheap plastic drawer units for storage and flat boxes that fit under the seats. This means that it can be emptied out completely easily when needed as a people carrier!
Chrissy
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:25 am

Bongopoet wrote: Klikchik Ours is an unconverted AFT. I love the height and use a memory foam matress on top of the seats to sleep on (Toasty warm). Unconverted means we can cart more people around, use it as a workhorse and generally love it.
For cooking I have a suitcase, two ring one grill, cooker that sits on a foldaway stand. I use cheap plastic drawer units for storage and flat boxes that fit under the seats. This means that it can be emptied out completely easily when needed as a people carrier!
Chrissy

I'm with Chrissy on this.

In my opinion, Bongos are on the borderline of being too small to waste space by fitting furniture and it is a shame to spoil their versatitilty by committing them permanently to one mode of use.

Cardboard fruit boxes from the supermarket cost nothing and can be found in perfect sizes to slide (and stay put) under the seats. Behind the rear seats there is room for deeper boxes or crates of a suitable height to allow the seat back to lower for sleeping.

I use only one row of seats for camping, right at the rear. A moveable bed board extends the sleeping area forward and is supported at its front on plastic crates which store food etc. This still leaves a little bit of floor space just behind the engine for getting in and out and using a small camping toilet.

A luxurious full width bed (angled for comfort at the head end) is then achieved with two Lidl memory foam guest beds side by side, conjoined with a fitted sheet or mattress protector. These beds fold up into three square sections each or can by stacked on top of each other when not in use for sleeping.

Having owned a VW type 25 (now awaiting a new home) for many years, I can't take Bongos seriously as campers. Mainly due to lack of walkthrough and remaining space in sleeping mode.

However, as multi role vehicles Bongos are a good compromise. On campsites it makes sense to use an awning for extra space and privacy. Tintop owners should consider a roof box for carrying tents

You will notice that I haven't even mentioned cooking. That's because in the VW it's a doddle. In the Bongo It's easier to go and find a cafe. I only take cooking facilities if I am using the awning.

The mind boggles as to how people manage in small vans like Berlingos and Bedford Rascals!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism

Return to “Scotland”