Fridge for Factory Fitted Kitchen

This section is for when either the club or individuals are buying en-masse for the benefit of the Bongo community at large. Read the rules first!

Moderators: g8dhe, umbongocat

digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Re: Fridge for Factory Fitted Kitchen

Post by digitalgypsy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Thank you Rhod!!!
That is a good news. It does freeze items no problem. It's an 'Engel Outdoor Life Refrigerator' in blue color. I had a look but can't find any images of the same one on Google. I'm having a solar panel fitted and hoping to run the fridge for very long time. Do you have the factory kitchen yourself?
Rhod
Tribal Elder

Post by Rhod » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:23 pm

Yes I do - it was factory fitted to my Bongo. It's useful enough, but would be a lot better if the battery was under the bonnet. You lose a lot of potential storage space in the kitchen unit. I converted my unit to run off 240v, we're usually wild camping, so it doesn't help much. We generally have the fridge running while driving & turn it off while parked up. If I remember to turn it on/off that is! The fridge switch really needs to be the same place as the AFT one, so it's easily accessible from front or back! My other half is veggie, so no meat/fish to worry about. I've thought about going the solar panel route, but the roofrack for the kayaks is permanently fitted, so not really very practical to add panels as well. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.
96' Green AFT 4WD / BMW R100GSPD
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:53 pm

Hey again.
That's good to hear...I'm relocating the leisure battery to under the bonnet this week! Well not relocating actually, since I'm getting rid of the battery under the kitchen and putting in new Elecsol 100AH battery under the bonnet. I've heard the leisure battery under the kitchen is quite small capacity, mine is also many many years old :S

Good work on the 240v transform. Would like that done but won't attempt myself...unfortunately doesn't seem to be anyone local who can help. Coincidentally, also having solar panels fitted this week! You may want to check out Dodgey on here, he installs a solar kit specifically for Bongos. Have heard you can get inflatable canoes/kayaks but whether they compare to the traditional is another thing :roll:

Thanks again for compressor info, definitely a perk :)
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:15 pm

Try Hodges Autolec in Beovis Valley Southampton to sort out your 240v charging. They do the electrics for Budget Bongos and are familiar with the whole set up, including the factory kitchens. They have sorted a lot out for me over the years.

94-97 Mount Pleasant Road, Southampton, Hampshire SO14 0EB
023 8033 1774 () ‎ · hodgesautolec.co.uk
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Rhod
Tribal Elder

Post by Rhod » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:21 pm

The 240v conversion was pretty easy. I was lucky to have the original Jap hook-up lead though, so could follow the method in the club factsheet. Having the LB in the back does have the slight advantage of improving its performance in sub-zero temps Not that we really need the fridge then :-)
96' Green AFT 4WD / BMW R100GSPD
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks Terrier!
240v conversion is last thing on my list so well pleased to find someone local :) Now my Bongo is ready, right in time for winter :lol: #-o
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:24 pm

digitalgypsy wrote:Thanks Velocette! :)
Almost definitely a thermo-electric fridge then, quite sure it's a constant fan noise. Now apprehensively researching thermo-electric fridges :roll:
It's a compressor fridge - I heard it - the "rumble" noise gives it away. :-)
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:53 pm

Indeed, Roger! Bongo is running like a champ, thanks for the good work :)

Return to “Group Buys”