Children upstairs

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

dom_e
Tribal Elder

Children upstairs

Post by dom_e » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:39 pm

With all the talk of roof modifications such as the neat looking 'cat flap' and bed boards, I've been pondering arrangements for our family of 4 (+dog). I've not wanted to commit to spending money just yet, so came up with a few ideas. The simplest idea I've come up with for our eldest (3 1/2) is to have her sleep upstairs at bed time, but width ways at the front. She's short enough at the moment.

To overcome the potential problem of her rolling over the hatch, I've cut a piece of wood 47cm x 20cm that wedges the flap open. Given the angles, it stays in place well and she could happily roll against it. Come time for adults to go to bed, the plan is to move her around (she could sleep though a rock concert going on in her bedroom) and me to sleep upstairs with her, with my wife downstairs with our 9 month old in a pop up cot and the dog in a front seat.

Given the extreme low cost, I thought this could be worth sharing. I can't vouch for how well it will work yet, but I'll report back after our first trip away with the set up.
Beyond A to B
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: Children upstairs

Post by Driver+Passengers » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:44 am

This works, and it works well. :D You can even spin them back again if you need to get out for a pee. #-o

But it won't last. :( Our boy's 4 and we've gone for 3x2 for now and a cat flap modification is pending... ;)
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:21 am

Great that it works, but it won't last for long. The 'Catflap' is the way to go, but I would say that wouldn't I :lol: :lol:

Seriously, it's the best adaptation you can make for family sleeping arrangements. Easy access to the kids and good for adults too :)

Edit: An alternative to the catflap is putting the 3 and half year old in a cab bed across the front passenger area. When we have all 3 little ones with us, we put the 4 year old in cab bed across the front and the 8 and 10 year old upstairs now and us downstairs.
I love cheese!
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:12 pm

I see that cat flap as a good option in the near future. I've also considered the cab beds, but it may displace the hound.
Beyond A to B
cavey
Bongolier

Post by cavey » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:35 pm

dom_e wrote:With all the talk of roof modifications such as the neat looking 'cat flap' and bed boards, I've been pondering arrangements for our family of 4 (+dog). I've not wanted to commit to spending money just yet, so came up with a few ideas. The simplest idea I've come up with for our eldest (3 1/2) is to have her sleep upstairs at bed time, but width ways at the front. She's short enough at the moment.

To overcome the potential problem of her rolling over the hatch, I've cut a piece of wood 47cm x 20cm that wedges the flap open. Given the angles, it stays in place well and she could happily roll against it. Come time for adults to go to bed, the plan is to move her around (she could sleep though a rock concert going on in her bedroom) and me to sleep upstairs with her, with my wife downstairs with our 9 month old in a pop up cot and the dog in a front seat.

Given the extreme low cost, I thought this could be worth sharing. I can't vouch for how well it will work yet, but I'll report back after our first trip away with the set up.
Well a big thanks from me. You sparked an idea in my mind, and I've just tried it and it worked!

We have a two year old, and on our first two nights away we have slept downstairs, using the front and middle seats folded flat with The Boy sleeping between us. This has worked well but has meant we've all gone to bed at the same time - which hasn't been an issue, as we've been cream crackered anyway! Upstairs was just storage for his car seat, clothes, gubbins.

We're away for a couple of nights next week and have a few more trips planned this summer so I was after a better plan. Having read you post, I started thinking about what I could use to do the same as you, but ideally without having much else to carry/store in the Bongo. Then I remembered the table. It's one that was fitted by AVA Leisure and it turns out it is the perfect length to fit widthwise in the AFT, the bottom resting in the crease of the mattress, and the leg extended to hold it up.

As mentioned, this will only last for as long as he fits in sideways - but it'll do for this summer!

Cheers,

Dave
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:09 pm

Fantastic. Glad that came in useful!
Beyond A to B
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:27 pm

We had our first night with the flap propped open option It worked very well. The bit of wood propping the hatch open is covered nicely with the roof mattress flap as well. I just hope the little un doesn't grow too fast now!
Beyond A to B

Return to “Bongoing with Children”