Locking Wheel Nut Challenge with Prize!

Lickhill Manor, Stourport on Severn 17 to 22 June

Moderator: Ian

Tony'n'Jitka

Locking Wheel Nut Challenge with Prize!

Post by Tony'n'Jitka » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:16 am

Hi All!

I have a challenge with a prize!

My Bongo came without its locking wheel nut key and to date I havent been able to find a match. It is very similar or could be a standard Mazda shape with 8 splines around the side setback from the top. I have a good bottle of wine for the first person whose locking wheel nut key I can use to remove them. Should this fail I have a good bottle of wine for anyone who has another method to get them off without cutting the van up!

SSSoooo excited to be attending the Bongo Bash will be down on Friday!

Cheers all and look forward to seeing you and your nut keys.

Regards

Tony
Dizzy-Dots
Tribal Elder

Re: Locking Wheel Nut Challenge with Prize!

Post by Dizzy-Dots » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:58 am

There's bound to be someone at the Bash who can help - even if it's to help you drink the wine! :wink:

Fingers crossed for you

See you there
Lisa

1995 'N' Plate - 2WD AFT in Black - called 'Jonnie'!

ScubaBongo

Post by ScubaBongo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:06 pm

Tony'n'Jitka wrote:Hi All!

I have a challenge with a prize!

My Bongo came without its locking wheel nut key and to date I havent been able to find a match. It is very similar or could be a standard Mazda shape with 8 splines around the side setback from the top. I have a good bottle of wine for the first person whose locking wheel nut key I can use to remove them. Should this fail I have a good bottle of wine for anyone who has another method to get them off without cutting the van up!

SSSoooo excited to be attending the Bongo Bash will be down on Friday!

Cheers all and look forward to seeing you and your nut keys.

Regards

Tony

Here you go: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... _langId_-1

Now where do I collect my wine? ;-)
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:40 pm

ScubaBongo wrote:

Here you go: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... _langId_-1

Now where do I collect my wine? ;-)
I've got a set in the back of the Bongo - now who is bringing the impact wrench?

12v one will do.......................
Tony'n'Jitka

Post by Tony'n'Jitka » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:18 pm

The offending nuts have to be off of the Bongo to win the prize (and the wheels, hubs etc need to be still operational so that we can get home).

I have a nice shiny set of new locking ones courtesy of EBAY to fit in their place, I had bought them as the key looked so similar to the ones that are installed. Boy, was really disappointed when they didn't. Grrr. #-o
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:27 pm

Those removers just screw over the outside of the offending locking nut and lock on, then turn the nut to unscrew it.

Tyre depots and garages use them for when the key thingy goes missing.
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:30 pm

Save a few quid & just use an old socket & a 4lb mallet.

Twice now I've bought a set of locking nuts then promptly lost the key, its worked for me so far.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:06 pm

can you still get them one size fits all socket?, it has pins inside and you just push the socket on any size nut and it will unlock it as the pins and spring loaded and go back and forth.

I think they were call aligator socket or sumat like that, that would get it off
Tony'n'Jitka

Post by Tony'n'Jitka » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:52 pm

You can get the all in-one sockets and I did borrow one, I was hopeful but no cigar the depth between the top of the nut and the splines are too far apart. :-( I am going to try a screw on remover if no one has a key that fits at the Bongo meet. The nuts are on real tight as well just to add to the problem....
Tony'n'Jitka

Post by Tony'n'Jitka » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:45 pm

:D :D :D Thankyou to Nevets and Miss Fix-it who got the nuts off the wagon! I am now free to change my wheels and brakes, what a relief.

It was fantastic to meet so many people and to see so many Bongos of all shapes and sizes. The weather could have been a touch warmer but I am sure Ian will have that sorted for next year. The event was just so well run it was brilliant and the venue fitted the bill for 200+ Bongos as the field just looked spectacular - I would like to see them all parked the same way next year!

Look forward to seeing loads of you again as we now intend to goto some more Bongo meets.

It has been an expensive trip as we now have a list of kit we want! Awning, undersealing and doors Waxyoling, privacy blind for side door, single fillet mattress for the roof space....the Bongo will be so weighed down....

Thanks again for a great weekend...

Tony n Jitka. =D>
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:14 pm

Down to Nevets really, I was just the go between :wink: Glad you got it sorted, nice to meet you guys, when are you going to organise the convoy to the Czeck Republic then? :wink:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
fasthands

Post by fasthands » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:01 pm

Go to a large car breakers they keep loads of them, I used to work at one in Doncaster we always found one to fit. :wink:

Return to “Bongo Bash 2009”