Petrol Bongo Garage in Hythe Nr Southampton AJC Classics

Moderator: westonwarrior

New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Petrol Bongo Garage in Hythe Nr Southampton AJC Classics

Post by New Forest Terrier » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:14 am

Ever since I bought my Bongo nearly three years ago. I have taken it to Discount Trucks in Newbury, being unable to find anyone round here who is used to the V6 version.

I have finally found someone who seems very competent and has a lot of experience with petrol Bongos. AJC Classics in Hythe, New Forest are LPG converters and classic car repairers. They convert and sort out the petrol Bongos for Budget Bongos in Southampton, V6 and 2ltr. Every Bongo converted has new coolant and is bled, so they understand all the quirks.

I found them through having my Jeep Wrangler converted to LPG and some restoration work including a recored radiator. Its another quirky imported car, being a retro copy of a classic Jeep but almost old enough to be a classic itself. They made a brilliant job of the conversion, remapping the injectors and shoehorning the tank in, so that it still kept its classic retro looks and off road abilities. While there I realised the place had a steady queue of Bongos waiting for conversion and pre sale work. I had looking for ages where Budget sent their mechanical work and this is it. AJC are really helpful and being classic car experts are used to fitting second hand parts or rebuilding units. Easy to get to as well, as they are right by the Hythe Ferry terminal.

They have recently sorted out some Bongo niggles for me and I was very impressed. Although I will still take the beast to Gerry and Fred for its service and yearly check up, its good to have expertise nearer at hand. Plus the way petrol prices are going up the Bongo is next in the conversion queue. The Jeep came first as it was thirstier, plus a simple beast to convert, no flashlube and just a straight four engine, designed to fixed in a field with a hammer and bent screwdriver by a Yankee squaddie :lol: :roll:

A very good find I think. =D>
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Lisa&Jon

Re: Petrol Bongo Garage in Hythe Nr Southampton AJC Classics

Post by Lisa&Jon » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:59 pm

That's handy to know! We're local to Hythe and have had a couple of niggles. Where in Hythe are they? I thought AJ Motors were in Holbury?

Regards

Jon
crazy uncle gray g
Supreme Being

Post by crazy uncle gray g » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:48 am

Lisa&Jon wrote:Where in Hythe are they?

Regards

Jon
:D AJC Cars, they are right on the sea front next to the council offices just before you get to Waitrose carpark 8)
cheers! party on dudes.
Lisa&Jon

Post by Lisa&Jon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:41 pm

Got it!!! The Jaguar place next to the parish council. Handy to know!

Cheers! :D
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:35 am

That's the one. Looks tiny from the road, but it is a whole wharf and runs right down to the Solent.

No idea how they are with diesels. Classic Jags come with large petrol engines, so that is their area. The V6 with its old fashioned distributor is just their style. Bongo electricals also belong in the classic mode. Still they can bleed a Bongo and if you can bleed a V6, I am sure you can bleed a diesel.

Last time I was in there, they were converting a Winnebago of the mobile flat variety. V12 engine. You could probably pay back your conversion costs in a month on that :roll: :roll: One camper I never fancy, limited to coach parks and very wide roads. A friend of mine has one and he tows a car behind, just to get anywhere else. Its certainly touring in comfort, but too like bus driving for me.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion

Return to “South Wessex”