Making an awning Driveaway-able

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

redrocket
Bongonaut

Making an awning Driveaway-able

Post by redrocket » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:16 pm

So...went to the Caravan and camping show last Friday at the NEC, lots and lots of cool stuff there and well, after all my concerns about an awning damaging the paintwork I got duped into buying one by the missus.

Ended up with this inflatable one here
http://www.questleisure.com/index.php/p ... 5.01/A0220

Got it on a show special with various extra goodies....anyway, as someone who has no experience with what makes an awning driveaway-able (yes i did totally make up that word) I had never previously even thought to find out how.

So my question to you is simply How do i do it properly without having to constantly attach figure of 8 stripping onto the gutter rail every time i want to go out and come back. Does anyone have any recommendations on awning channels that fit the bongo well and where you decided to fit them? or any other method that is quick and easy and doesnt risk scratching up your paintwork?

Cheers all
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Making an awning Driveaway-able

Post by g8dhe » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:16 pm

If your that worried about damaging the paint then use two fig-8's with the double beaded bit between them ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:59 pm

I have 2.4m lengths of fig 8 permanently on mine (once they're snapped on they don't want to come off!). They add a trim feature and solve storage/forgetting/rain dripping in gaps problems and also make it easier threading a drive away awning on when returning to camp at days end. And they act as an extra pair of hands when putting an awning up and positioning it so the tunnel isn't too saggy. Works great for me.....though i don't camp much these days :-(
mrpadders
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by mrpadders » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:46 pm

I do not yet own a Bongo but I have had VW campers (same as the one in the picture ^^^) with a couple of different drive away awnings.
TBH fitting the figure of 8 was easy and became routine. I left mine attached to the awning and just snapped it back to the van gutter once back in place.

One thing I learned quickly was that when you first arrive you park the van and then pitch the awning and fit it to the van. 8)
When you drive away and return it can be tricky getting the van back in the same spot. If you don't the awning tunnel can be too tight or too loose. :roll:
Mark your spot! By which I mean put something on the ground or scratch lines in the soil to mark where the wheels were. Makes life easy.
Also worth leaving something as a marker to stop some dunderhead parking a car where your van should be! [-X

Andy.
Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:24 am

mrpadders wrote:I do not yet own a Bongo but I have had VW campers (same as the one in the picture ^^^) with a couple of different drive away awnings.
TBH fitting the figure of 8 was easy and became routine. I left mine attached to the awning and just snapped it back to the van gutter once back in place.

One thing I learned quickly was that when you first arrive you park the van and then pitch the awning and fit it to the van. 8)
When you drive away and return it can be tricky getting the van back in the same spot. If you don't the awning tunnel can be too tight or too loose. :roll:
Mark your spot! By which I mean put something on the ground or scratch lines in the soil to mark where the wheels were. Makes life easy.
Also worth leaving something as a marker to stop some dunderhead parking a car where your van should be! [-X

Andy.
I found this out pretty early on too especially when dark.
I use two tent pegs with a luminous guy line pegged at the wheel centres it makes re aligning a cinch.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:49 am

If you want a professional look, try these guidance strips from Outdoor Revolution: http://www.outdoor-revolution.com/acces ... trips.html
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:00 am

Ian wrote:If you want a professional look, try these guidance strips from Outdoor Revolution: http://www.outdoor-revolution.com/acces ... trips.html
Great idea. Much better than the tentpegs i've used as markers.
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:12 pm

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:15 pm

The refective strips are great though as they show up in headlights etc. Seen them in action - they are very cool.
redrocket
Bongonaut

Post by redrocket » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:39 pm

mrpadders wrote:I do not yet own a Bongo but I have had VW campers (same as the one in the picture ^^^) with a couple of different drive away awnings.

Andy.
This sounds like invaluable advice. I can just imagine my frustration of finding this out for the first time and then maneuvering the van back and forth until its alright haha.
Thanks for this!!

Do they make figure of 8 in black? As i can only find white and just imagine it to look a bit naff permanently on their on a black van and i would prefer it to be permanently on there to attach it to the van rather than take on take off.
Has anyone ever fitted a awning rail to theirs here?
redrocket
Bongonaut

Post by redrocket » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:50 am

Anyone??
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Thu May 18, 2017 10:20 am

Could you not key the white plastic , spray with a plastic primer then black

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”