AFT insulation and what mattress?

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Gripped
Bongolier

AFT insulation and what mattress?

Post by Gripped » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi

There is an AFT cover in the Bongo shop, but only for the post 99 versions. Is there a similar one for the pre-99 AFT? If not, what are my options?

Secondly, what roof mattress do people recommend? I'm thinking of a thin one, but better than the original which is too thin.

Thanks !
janie
Bongolier

Re: AFT insulation and what mattress?

Post by janie » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:31 pm

http://www.comfortzleisure.co.uk/

I don't bother, personally. However people have these ones and they seem to have a good reputation.

I made my own mattress out of a memory foam mattress topper - 7.5cm. £30 off ebay and comfy as anything.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:20 pm

I used 4 inch high density foam bought from Ebay and fitted into a cut down Duvet cover.
As to the insulation Ebay again. I used 3 cell bubble insulation cut to fit inside the roof when its raised. It is stiff enough to hold itself up if you slightly oversize it and push it into place.
Didn`t bother with the overhead section, the plan is to stick it to the upper area and re-cover with stretch carpet next year or on my next Bongo.
Three pieces, one for the front upright portion and two triangles for the sides. Cut an opening where the eyebrow vent is to help venting. Like an incubator when its up so you may need a dehumidifier bag up there with you.
It can be stored flat in the roof void when traveling.
Cheap, cheerful and light.
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:57 am

Thanks for that.

I slept up there for the first time in 8 years over the weekend :shock: and it was great to have the room to spread out, rather than the cramped 2 person tangle downstairs. (don't tell the Mrs). Mind you, she loved having the rock n roll to herself. My main concern is sound proofing. If I wanted to sleep in a tent, I wouldn't have got a Bongo, so I thought some insulation would help both heat and sound insulation.

I just wondered why the bongo shop one doesn't fit the early Bongos? Presumably different fittings or something, which made me wonder why they don't make one, as the older Bongos seem to be the most common.

Anyway, I'm sure I can rig up some insulation and a mattress. I was thinking of a self inflating one.

Finally, is there a standard way of getting out of the roof without folding yourself in half and putting your left leg over your right ear, and unscrewing your false head? :mrgreen:

Next, is to rig up a Heath Robinson upstairs toilet. I note there is a convenient round hole. I think I might just fit a loo seat over that. =D> =D>

Cheers all !
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:20 am

Let me know on the upstairs loo. :lol:
I ditched the standard lift panel and replaced it essentially with two boards one hinged at the back using the hinges from the standard panel and a center section.
Makes getting in and out easy, drunk or sober :P
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:55 pm

Gripped wrote:Thanks for that.

I slept up there for the first time in 8 years over the weekend :shock: and it was great to have the room to spread out, rather than the cramped 2 person tangle downstairs. (don't tell the Mrs). Mind you, she loved having the rock n roll to herself. My main concern is sound proofing. If I wanted to sleep in a tent, I wouldn't have got a Bongo, so I thought some insulation would help both heat and sound insulation.

I just wondered why the bongo shop one doesn't fit the early Bongos? Presumably different fittings or something, which made me wonder why they don't make one, as the older Bongos seem to be the most common.

Anyway, I'm sure I can rig up some insulation and a mattress. I was thinking of a self inflating one.

Finally, is there a standard way of getting out of the roof without folding yourself in half and putting your left leg over your right ear, and unscrewing your false head? :mrgreen:

Next, is to rig up a Heath Robinson upstairs toilet. I note there is a convenient round hole. I think I might just fit a loo seat over that. =D> =D>

Cheers all !
Pee Tube Mike is your man for this, but I have used a normal Portapotti upstairs.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:09 pm

Bob wrote:
Gripped wrote:Thanks for that.

Cheers all !
Pee Tube Mike is your man for this, but I have used a normal Portapotti upstairs.
Actually that would work out as a brilliant solution if having a quick stop over and no need to do the blinds thing,ta. =D> =D> =D>
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:46 pm

Who's bin' talkin'

About me and mah pee tube 8)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:51 pm

One of the Old Lags, Mike. :lol:
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:34 pm

The newer AFTs are taller than the older ones.
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”