Waeco CF26

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Alan2016
Bongonaut

Waeco CF26

Post by Alan2016 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:36 am

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a Waeco CF26 and was wondering if these will run happily off of the rear 12 volt socket or if I need to beef up the wiring at all? I am also looking at switching the blinds and lights over to the leisure battery and adding an additional 12 volt socket to the drivers side anyway so could run this through a dedicated fuse for the fridge if that is a better option?

Thanks for the help

Alan
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Waeco CF26

Post by sotal » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:49 pm

IIRC the wiring to the rear socket isn't as good as the rest so you would probably need to improve it. A dedicated run would probably be better. For our coolbox I ended up changing the connector as the cigarette lighter plug got really hot when used continuously.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:49 pm

sotal wrote:IIRC the wiring to the rear socket isn't as good as the rest so you would probably need to improve it. A dedicated run would probably be better. For our coolbox I ended up changing the connector as the cigarette lighter plug got really hot when used continuously.
Yup, for efficiency you want to avoid under-rated wiring and ciggie connectors that give poor electrical connection.
Alan2016
Bongonaut

Post by Alan2016 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:13 pm

OK thanks for that. So what sort of connector did you switch to? Any recommendations on the size of automotive wiring and fuse I should use with a new run?
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:09 pm

I switched to a radio controlled car type connector as I had some spare but if I'm honest it isn't really up to the job.

I need something a bit better - if anyone else can recommend a suitable plug and socket I'd be interested too!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:24 pm

I think mine is called a DIN connector? Or is it one of these

http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse ... gs-sockets
Alan2016
Bongonaut

Post by Alan2016 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:20 pm

would something like this do the job, rated at 20A?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:38 pm

Fridges are best wired in direct to the LB with a fuse at the battery end, if you need a switch as well then fit as required. Going via ANY of the standard automotive connectors is not recommended as the voltage drop in the cabling, extra fuses, and the actual connector will lower the performance.
Cabling should be a minimum of 3mm Sq or 27.5Amp rating or 4.5mmSq 35Amp rating as the runs from from to back in the Bongo are quite long, also run both +ve and -ve wires don't rely on a chassis connection for best results.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Alan2016
Bongonaut

Post by Alan2016 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:20 pm

Thanks Geoff. Is a 20A fuse adequate?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:58 pm

I was assuming it needed to be removable being a coolbox? They use less electricity if they can be kept in a cooler place than inside a hot bongo once on the campsite. Life au camping is not all about electrical connections :lol:
Alan2016
Bongonaut

Post by Alan2016 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:15 pm

At this stage we don't have anything to remove it in to :) This will be our first trip so the fridge will run in the van off the battery/solar (or any electrical hookup if available). We will be on the move so only stopping in any one place for a night or two.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:20 pm

The fuse protects the wiring itself so yes 20Amp would be fine. If its needs to be a socket then the DIN or ISO 4165 ones are better (rated 12 Amps) than the simple cig. socket types (rated at 10 Amps anyway). Its just that the plugs can often come loose in the sockets and you get a poor centre pin connection ...
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
timhowes
Bongonaut

Post by timhowes » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:29 pm

Intriguing. I've recently acquired a CF26 and spent its first weekend running off the rear ciggie port. Worked well but cut out (11.4v at the fridge) during day 2 on the site, had been running the stereo a little and 1 airbeds' worth of 12v pump. Would I get better performance wired directly to the battery?

As it happens I will soon be wiring up a solar panel and controller to the battery so guess this would be a good time to run some cable for the fridge. Slightly anxious about doing a cable run behind the trim, having never done this. My van is unconverted. Any tips welcomed!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:36 pm

Yes a bit better performance, depending on what sort of meter is telling you it dropped at 11.4v, you may find that the voltage was dipping lower when the compressor tries to cut-in, it will only dip for a fraction of a second, most digital meters won't even show a change, analogue meters will visibly dip as the needle moves.
When removing the trim, try not to pull the clips out by pulling on the plastic itself, they are spring type of material and will ping off into the distance not to be found again! Use a the proper tool or a long handled screwdriver to prize them out that way you get to put the trim back with clips ;-)
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
phedders
Bongolier

Post by phedders » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:30 pm

I replaced all my connections years ago with Neutrik Speakons - 30A accross each pair of poles, rock solid, very low resistance and positive loking. Love 'em.

Now for size I'm switching some to EC5's ie http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/st ... male_.html which are apparently good for 120A. Overkill, but they work well - just without any built in strain relief, but then they are not locking either.

I wired the sockets with 12AWG and new fuses to the batteries.

Overkill, maybe. But seriously ditch those horrible "ciggy lighter sockets" - they were never designed to be used for more than 5 seconds at a time, and indeed they were designed just to generate heat. Ugh. Add to that, most plugs are completely incompatible with most sockets and dont get positive contact on the pin and/or the sleeve... recipe for crazy powerloss on higher current devices. The "DIN" devices were an early attempt at doing something more sensible, but never caught on in cars despite some use in ca(mper/rer)vans.
Location says where I am... I'd rather be justabout anywhere else! Suggestions or job offers of/in other parts of the UK gladly received...

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”