Dutch ovens

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

sotal
Supreme Being

Dutch ovens

Post by sotal » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:07 pm

I'm liking going down the 'proper' camping route for cooking.

We've all really enjoyed using the Storm kettle to boil water.

Now I've just ordered a Dutch Oven to have a go at cooking a decent meal over a fire.

Has anyone else used one?

We're off to a site in a couple of weeks which allows fire pits. I'm hoping to put the dutch oven into the embers once the flames have died down.
bigbear
Bongonaut

Re: Dutch ovens

Post by bigbear » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:17 pm

Hello and welcome to a new experience in cooking. The point of a Dutch oven is that it is very efficient. You put coals or charcoal on the top and the bottom. The lid is designed for this. I can suggest two very good books.
101 Things to do with a Dutch Oveen by Vernon Winterton and Beginner's Guide to Dutch Oven Cooking by Marla Rawlings.

I use mine with a try pod over a fire pit and charcoal.
Good cooking, Bigbear.
bigbear
Bongonaut

Post by bigbear » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:50 pm

Other Bongo members might be interested to know that I bought the oven and tripod in Stourport some years ago during a Bongo Bash. The hunting and shooting shop there stock the unusual but useful kit.
The best 'how to book' I think is the beginners guide as it covers very useful stuff in addition to menus.

Bigbear.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:01 pm

Thanks,

From reading it seemed to suggest a tripod could be used over a fire (flames) but that it could also be placed straight onto the fire once the flames have died down.

I haven't seen many photos of it directly on a fire though. I was hoping that I'd be able to use it on a fire pit once the flames had gone. I could then put some of the embers on top too. Will it work well like that? Or will it be too hot?
bigbear
Bongonaut

Post by bigbear » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:22 am

Hi, you can regulate heat by highering or lowering the tripod chain. Generally speaking controlling heat is by trial and error. Charcoal brickets are easier to use as they each have a definite heat output. The beginners book explains about this.
I realise that using found fuel is a much better experience (more satisfying) but as I say trial and error is the way forward. I have had a few burnt offerings :lol:
Good luck, Bigbear.
mycallsevern
Bongonaut

Post by mycallsevern » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:14 pm

My wife was give one of these by our South African friends for her birthday. They call it a Potjie Pot. We are yet to use it, though plan to next weekend.

I also have a tripod grill thing with a fire pit that can be used as a bbq or over a fire or with a fire in the raised pit. It was also a birthday present (people obviously know we love camping and cooking). It is brilliant, I can't recommend it enough.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Landmann-Ltd-5 ... B0002DF1UO

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”