Cayman Snapper question

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

ho0dsi3
Apprentice Bongonaut

Cayman Snapper question

Post by ho0dsi3 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:35 pm

Hello all :D

I have the cayman snapper awning for my bongo which i bought 2nd hand, pitching the main structure itself is no issue, however ive so far not been able to successfully connect the awning to the bongo.

I have the figure of 8 strips from halfords which come as 3 pieces, but find as soon as theres some wind they just either come off the van, or the beading in the cowl comes out of the figure of 8.

Ive tried looking online for photos or videos of how to correctly pitch and attach it, but havent come across anything where i can see what im doing wrong, i notice the cowl has 2 black straps and im not sure what im meant to do with these either.

Can anyone give me some advice please?

Gefail
Bongolier

Re: Cayman Snapper question

Post by Gefail » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:09 pm

Hello, I have the Cayman Snapper and coincidently the three white figure of 8's from Halfords
Used it quite a few times now with not too much trouble.
Having erected the awning I slide the 3 strips on the beading, then standing inside the drive away bit facing sliding door clip the rail to the gutter. It should clip down securly, I agree in high winds, the bead can pull out at the ends of the figure of 8. The black tabs can be used to attach a guy rope pegged over the top of the Bongo into ground on the other side. Never had to use it yet though, if you position it right, you can open the sliding door without hitting the awning curtain which will help keep the bead in the channel.
02-07-1999 TinTop 2WD Oil Guzzler with Hyper Seat :shock:
ho0dsi3
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by ho0dsi3 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:30 pm

Did you cut down the 3 piece figure of 8 to be the same length as the beading, it's just it doesn't seem taught enough to hold it in place and I'm sure I'm doing something wrong !
Gefail
Bongolier

Post by Gefail » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:12 pm

No, all as supplied., when I've attached it to the Bongo I move the awning to tighten the fabric, then peg it down. Have you pulled the side straps that reduce the amount of material at the sides?
02-07-1999 TinTop 2WD Oil Guzzler with Hyper Seat :shock:
ho0dsi3
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by ho0dsi3 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:02 am

Yeh, if you hold the two black straps down it seems more secure but as soon as you let go it's not good, what am I meant to attach them to?

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”