Awnings - Do you fit the floor

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Alkers
Bongolier

Awnings - Do you fit the floor

Post by Alkers » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:03 pm

We a have a driveaway awning and when using it over the weekend last we opted not to put the floor in. Worked well as in torrential rain there were a few small leaks/splashes etc and rather than these pooling on the waterproof floor, they were able to soak into the grass.

Do people normally use them or any tips?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Awnings - Do you fit the floor

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:07 pm

Alkers wrote:We a have a driveaway awning and when using it over the weekend last we opted not to put the floor in. Worked well as in torrential rain there were a few small leaks/splashes etc and rather than these pooling on the waterproof floor, they were able to soak into the grass.

Do people normally use them or any tips?
I have one that doesn't belong to the awning but is narrower so i have grass strips either side and there is no chance of rainwater running on to it. I put things that don't need to be on a groundsheet on the grass areas . As it is also a bit longer than the awning i can rig up the excess length to stop draughts coming through underneath the Bongo. Its made of sturdy material and was bought cheap from a 'bin ends' box at Camperlands. But if you have a leaky awning tben yes, no groundsheet might be best!
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:57 pm

When we used awnings, no! Treated awning space as "sheltered outdoors" rather than "indoors". Avoids having to clean and dry a groundsheet. Agree also about drips from leaks or condensation not puddling.

Downside is the awning is more draughty. Not great if people or pets use it at night.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:51 pm

Ours is a 'breathable' groundsheet. It is like a rubber mesh. Very comfortable to walk on and doesn't move around or make noise.

It is comfortable under foot and if you do get water on it, it just drains through.

It is better for the grass too, some of the sites we have been to insist on them being this type and won't accept non breathable groundsheets.

We were lucky and got ours off ebay for about a fiver, but for our size it was about £25 for a new one.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”