Which is the best cooler box?

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

CronxMatt
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Which is the best cooler box?

Post by CronxMatt » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:19 am

Iv'e just purchased a 29ltr powered coolbox from Lidl at £39 (which annoying a few days later was down to £29).
I haven't used it yet so I don't know how good it is. It has a 12v ciggie and 240v input.

Matt
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:28 am

We get stuff delivered to work in these, they make excellent cheap toolboxes as the insulation is often twice as thick as a plastic cool box, they are about £2 in Florida, we i=used one for cold drinks it was excellent and 100 degrees most days
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polystyrene-i ... 2221972955
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:50 am

CronxMatt wrote:Iv'e just purchased a 29ltr powered coolbox from Lidl at £39 (which annoying a few days later was down to £29).
I haven't used it yet so I don't know how good it is. It has a 12v ciggie and 240v input.

Matt
It'll probably work ok but drain a battery pretty quickly if engine not running. If it has a thermostat cutout that is a good sign.

There's a lot in what winchman says. For a weekends camping lots of freezer packs/pre frozen/pre chilled in a well insulated container alone may get you through fine, especially if kept out of sun/in a breeze/ with wet tea towels over it for evaporative cooling. If that box has a peltier fan and thermostat and the lot is pre-cooled, then the concept can be extended a bit. It is trips longer than that, and where pre-cooling may not be possible, that you have to think more about compressor fridges etc.
spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:45 pm

Went for the Coleman in the end and it worked well although every bag of ice leaked when it melted. Going to source some airtight freezer bags and I think it'll be the ticket.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:12 pm

spud350 wrote:Went for the Coleman in the end and it worked well although every bag of ice leaked when it melted. Going to source some airtight freezer bags and I think it'll be the ticket.
Hope it meets expectation. Same experience with leaking ice bags though the ice melt does keep stuff at the bottom very cool as well as wet!
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:29 pm

Yeah I'm pretty happy with it. Might get the electric just for days out saving having to find ice.

If I find a good waterproof bag I'll let you know. :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:29 pm

I'm probably being dumb, but why are you carrying ice in a coolbox?
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:36 am

mikeonb4c wrote:I'm probably being dumb, but why are you carrying ice in a coolbox?
To keep it cold, instead of freezer packs. :?
Can't imagine you ever being dumb Mike :lol:
Chris with BertieB
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:17 am

cmm303 wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:I'm probably being dumb, but why are you carrying ice in a coolbox?
To keep it cold, instead of freezer packs. :?
Can't imagine you ever being dumb Mike :lol:
You'd be amazed ;-)

Ah, i use freezer blocks in mine for that. I THINK (but am not certain) they offer more cooling power, pound for pound (brexit-speak). And they don't leak \:D/ :-" 8)
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:55 am

Mike you could well be right about the amount of cold ice packs hold. It is just that sometimes ice is more available than freezing facilities. For a weekend we'll always use packs but for touring Scotland we used ice.
We are off to a festival for 4 days and will use loose ice. The coolbox will be so full of healthy vitamin bottles (ha hum :oops: ) there will not be room for freezer packs whereas ice cubes can be poured into all the gaps.

Horses for courses.
I can just hear all those with fridges and solar panels grinning from ear to ear at this low-tech discussion :lol:
Chris with BertieB
spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:18 pm

Yeah I did have cooling blocks for the 1st couple of days until they melted but then there's the hassle of refreezing. If that's overnight the milk is nice and warm in the morning.
I got a big bag of ice from the supermarket and just drop the whole bag in. All the stuff is kept really really cold but the bags they come in aren't actually water tight so there's a puddle in the bottom of the box when it's melting.

I'll source some water tight bags so when the cubes melt I'll just empty the bags and put fresh ice in. It's probably not something you could have done years ago but it seems nearly all supermarkets sell ice now which is useful for camping.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:59 pm

spud350 wrote:Yeah I did have cooling blocks for the 1st couple of days until they melted but then there's the hassle of refreezing. If that's overnight the milk is nice and warm in the morning.
I got a big bag of ice from the supermarket and just drop the whole bag in. All the stuff is kept really really cold but the bags they come in aren't actually water tight so there's a puddle in the bottom of the box when it's melting.

I'll source some water tight bags so when the cubes melt I'll just empty the bags and put fresh ice in. It's probably not something you could have done years ago but it seems nearly all supermarkets sell ice now which is useful for camping.
And very cheap too,usually 99p a bag

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:34 am

spud350 wrote:Yeah I did have cooling blocks for the 1st couple of days until they melted but then there's the hassle of refreezing. If that's overnight the milk is nice and warm in the morning.

Ah, gotcha now. I've never done extended camping except where there was somewhere i could re-freeze the freezer blocks. In that situation i have enough to be freezing some while using others.
mycallsevern
Bongonaut

Post by mycallsevern » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:26 pm

We have the Outwell Eco Box 30l it is huge and as we don't have a leisure battery yet it only gets run when we are driving. Saying that on a recent 3 day camp at a festival (where we were in no state to drive at all for the 3 days) we were still enjoying ice cold beers on the 3rd day. For that trip we had the big partition freezer block and a few other small freezer blocks in there, filled it with G&T and beer (about 25 cans) and then drove for 2.5 hours to the festival, as I said before it easily stayed cold all weekend.
mycallsevern
Bongonaut

Post by mycallsevern » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:49 pm

I know the op has already purchase a box, but thought others might be interested. Just received the Go Outdoors promo leaflet through the door and they are selling the Outwell Ecocool 24l electric cool box for £60 bit of a bargain.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”