Suitcase Generators

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Djembe Maz
Bongonaut

Suitcase Generators

Post by Djembe Maz » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi All,

Just wondered if any of you use small generators when no electric hook up is available? I have a leisure battery but would like to run my fridge etc without worry on a forthcoming 5 day trip.
If so do you have any recommendations for a small quiet one which is easy to operate for me when on my own please?

Thanks in advance
Marie x
Djembe Maz
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Suitcase Generators

Post by sotal » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:11 pm

Campsites generally don't like them, I've been to a few sites which allow them between certain hours to top up the battery. (IIRC it was between 2pm and 4pm at the last site)

With the Bongo though they seem pointless - why not just start the engine up and charge the battery that way? Probably as quiet and probably charges the battery faster.

We tend to go out in the Bongo, so it gets charged as we drive, if we stay put then I tend to unplug the coolbox at night when the ambient temperature is cooler - it is still cool enough in the morning and I switch it back on when I wake up. If I was staying put for a few days without hook up then I would either try to go for a drive or run the engine for a bit when the campsite is fairly empty.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:18 pm

Have to agree with Sotal.

If you need mains its best to find a site which has it avaiable as sites without it tend to enjoy being basic and quiet.

The cost of a quality generator will pay for a lot of nights on mains and you honestly won't make friends running a genny.
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:30 am

Hi,

A solar panel would be a lot more socially acceptable, probably much cheaper to buy and free to run. Several post on here about them, quite a few on here use them and I think there is somebody who can supply a complete kit, or even fit it for you though I think it would be a pretty straightforward job.

Peter
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:07 am

Good points, pretty sure the chap is in/near Taunton so would tie in with a break in the West Country if you need him to fit it.

We have cheese and cider. :D

Solar would also avoid the safety issue of carrying petrol in Bongy. :)

Edit: Forum member is 'Dodgey', his kit is very well thought of on here. 8)
Djembe Maz
Bongonaut

Post by Djembe Maz » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:44 pm

Oh thank you guys so much!

I think another reason for thinking of a generator was because the plug sockets don't work off the leisure battery either so we can't use an electric heater/hair dryer etc. which we could with a generator.
However after reading though your replies I think we will go down the route of a solar panel. It makes much more sense as you all point out.
Thank you for the recommendations - I'll have a look for 'Dodgey' lol :lol:
Marie x
Djembe Maz
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:09 pm

To be honest running electric heating and hairdryers from LB is asking a lot.

If you need these hook up is likely best as even a genny could struggle.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:50 pm

As above,

You still won't be able to run heaters and hair driers from Solar panels / Leisure battery.

You can get 12v hair driers but I expect they would be rubbish.

You can get an inverter to allow you to run small heaters and hair driers but they have losses themselves and won't be able to run long without draining the battery.

In reality you'd be better to use a towel for your hair and a sleeping bag to keep warm :lol:

I want solar panels and a compressor fridge, but then I keep going back to the fact that the coolbox runs off the LB for long enough for single night trips etc and for anything else I might as well pay for EHU. I've got to go away for a lot of nights to end up costing more than the £500 or so it will cost me for a fridge and solar panel!
Djembe Maz
Bongonaut

Post by Djembe Maz » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:53 am

Well after last weekend camping in Anglesea for 3 days with no EHU, running my fridge on full power off the leisure battery 24 hours a day - the battery charge indicator was still in the middle.
I thought that was really good! So we could probably go another couple of days before the battery went down to 'low' running the fridge on full - even longer if I turned the fridge off at night.
I'm really quite pleased with that and the frozen food stayed frozen in the tiny freezer compartment.

Hair dryer and heater were not required as it was warm enough.

One thing I did do though the night before we went, I hooked up to the electric at home and ran the fridge overnight to get it nice and cold before setting off.....I'll do that every time now.

I'm glad I didn't just go out and spend dosh on a generator - Thank you for all your helpful advice as always guys x
Djembe Maz
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:25 pm

Really glad that worked so well. :D

Good idea to chill the fridge on mains before you leave.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”