fiamma brackets

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

spud350
Bongolier

fiamma brackets

Post by spud350 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:52 pm

Anyone used these for their fiamma awning?

What do you have to drill for the self tappers, the body?

http://www.mazdabongo.com/catalog/awnin ... s-aft-only
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Re: fiamma brackets

Post by dave_aber » Sun May 08, 2016 8:14 pm

I have a set of these, but rather than drill the body and fit riv-nuts, I had the inner ends extended by a fabrication shop, and drilled them to suit the original Mazda awning fittings, then used these to clamp the new brackets to the roof.

Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:11 pm

So the red plate is the extra bit welded on? The 2 holes in the original plate would have been where they suggest drilling and tapping (not something I want to do to the van)

They do seem a bit expensive to then have to modify them again. Do they work well holding the awning? Also are they secure i.e. Can the awning be pinched with the roof down?

Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun May 08, 2016 10:14 pm

Can't help wondering why AVA didn't just make them like that in the first place. Much easier to fit. Very similar to some original Japanese ones I've got:

spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:33 pm

Yes you'd have thought they'd use the original holes.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Sun May 08, 2016 11:15 pm

spud350 wrote:So the red plate is the extra bit welded on?
Almost. The join /weld is actually under the mazda bracket. You can just see the radius on the end of their bracket disappearing under the mazda bracket on it.

Cost is a bit much, but I got mine from eBay (or for sale on here, can't remember now). They are secure if a wee bit flexible. I've had to have one repaired as it had cracked at the weld where the middle brace joins the main plate.

With the roof down the brackets can't be stolen, but if someone winds the awning out, they could unbolt it. I've once come back to the van parked in Edinburgh to find the awning wound out a foot or so. After that I took to threading a section of webbing strap through the winder and around the nearest of the 3 mazda brackets under the roof to prevent it being wound out.
Image...Image
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Sun May 08, 2016 11:18 pm

Actually, I've just had a look at the link to these brackets again. The description says these are the mk2 version, which does use the mazda bracket bolt holes.

They do still mention self tappers going into the roof. Not sure I'd be happy doing that!
Image...Image
spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:15 pm

Yes there must be a way other than drilling the roof.

I don't really understand about the security bit. Will be obvious when I get one I suppose, but it is a concern as I want to leave it on the van without worrying about it.
spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:44 pm

Dave, in your picture the awning is lowered onto the bracket which sits under a lip. There are 2 holes just below that. Is the awning meant to be drilled there and bolted to the bracket?
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:40 am

Yes, the awning has 2 pre-drilled holes, which line up with a VW T5 pair of brackets, so are no use.

What I did was hung the awning on the brackets, opened it, and drilled pilot holes through the back of the case and through the brackets.

I then removed the awning, opened the holes up to 6.5mm, and opened the holes in the brackets to accept M6 rivnuts.

Fitted the rivnuts, re-hung the awning, and bolted it on using M6 Stainless bolts and big washers.

It's impossible to get a spanner to the nut area, as the awning needs to be open - maybe could be done by someone in the roof tent, but I was doing this on my own, as ever!
Image...Image
spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:33 pm

Got it thanks.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”