bike rack advice

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Quincy MD
Junior Bongonaut

bike rack advice

Post by Quincy MD » Wed May 04, 2016 9:07 pm

Hello
Anyone recommend a bike rack for the tailgate? Ive been looking around but I'm not sure what will fit. Any advice greatly received.

Thanks
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: bike rack advice

Post by sotal » Wed May 04, 2016 10:06 pm

I did a bit of reading up and it seemed to depend on which Bongo you have got.

Is it the older style - 1995-1998ish (with the handles on the tailgate) or the facelift 1999+ model?

Has it got the spoiler at the top?

I ended up going for a towbar mounted option which works well for me! If you have a towbar then it might be an option.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu May 05, 2016 8:02 am

You need to ask yourself a few questions which will narrow your search.

1. How many bikes might you want to transport
2. Do you have a towbar (and towbar electrics)
3. Do you have a rear spoiler
4. Do you want the bikes at low level or high level

We wanted a rack for the tailgate and we have a spoiler and no towbar. If you go for the bikes being at low level so you can still see well out of the rear window, you'll be obscuring the lights & number-plate so you'll need a trailer-board plugged into a 7-pin socket. As we don't have that installed and didn't intend to fit one, low-level was out for us.

We wanted to take up to four bikes. Thule's 973 with a suitable adapter kit fits straight on. Fiamma do a similar one but with theirs you either have to ditch the spoiler or cut big notches in it. We didn't fancy doing any surgery so the Thule 973 it was. We used the 973-02 fitting kit but the 973-18 works too. Some photos below of how ours has turned out, we fitted it in 2010 and it's been a long way since then.

Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu May 05, 2016 8:08 am

PS, a Bongo is an ideal support bus for last minute adjustments in the rain, while Mum & Dad prepare coffee & Pot Noodles for the weary offspring 8)
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:01 am

I use Avenir Vermont - 3 bikes.
Similar system to the Thule in Muz's post. I reckon the Thule is more robust, less fiddly, heavier, and more expensive.

I use mine occasionally and usually with only with two bikes. I got a deal and bought as an extra the additional "arms" to clamp all 3 bikes on their cross bars or down tubes - invaluable. I notice that the Avenir Vermont is not so readily available now (though it is still sold). Maybe a message there.
http://www.bikesdirect365.com/products/ ... ysIxvmDFHw

If I was using this weekly I would definitely go for the Thule, but happy for the holiday type usage it gets.
In the top photo it looks like it obscures the number plate and lights. The angle of the photo is deceptive and this is not a problem.

Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Thu May 05, 2016 3:38 pm

No pictures I'm afraid but I have the 4 bike MaxxRaxx one mounted on the towbar (with extension to lift them higher, so the towbar can be used at the same time). Industrial in it's making, very simple, effective and cheap. I'm sure the tailgate ones are much more refined but for the occasional use ours does just fine.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
Bongo Voyage
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Voyage » Thu May 19, 2016 9:29 pm

I have picked up a Thule 973 and fitting kit 18. Is there any instructions for fitting to a aft with spoiler? I have seen the photos that muz posted for the 02 fitting kit (half on the glass). Something similar for the 18 would be awesome.

I have found many threads on the forum regarding the Thule but no direct instructions for this kit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”