Drive Away Awning

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

RockyRockstar
Apprentice Bongonaut

Drive Away Awning

Post by RockyRockstar » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:52 pm

Hello

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a drive away awning for our 1997 Bongo. I believe we just have the standard gutter rail at the moment.

Now I've read that a simple figure of 8 fixing strip (or strips) will attach directly onto that with no problems, but without the Kador Strip and awning rail it's not possible to just drive away leaving the tent in situ.

My question is, would a figure of 8 strip attached to the vans gutter strip, with a Kador in the middle, and another figure or 8 strip (strips) attached to the awning work the same way as having an awning rail?

Cheers
Anthony
Tertiary
Bongolier

Re: Drive Away Awning

Post by Tertiary » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:38 pm

Hi Anthony :D

That's exactly what we do and we find it works well for us. We have three pieces of figure 8 permantly on the gutter. We run the Kador through those then put the awning with the single piece of figure 8 onto that. Driving away is simple - just pull out the Kador then close up the awning but when we get back we found it much easier to refit if we slacken the guy ropes on the other end of the awning to give a little slack. Fit the Kador back into place and retention the guys. It sounds complicated but takes just a minute or two :D
Paul

Today is a good day - tomorrow will be better
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:46 pm

You don't generally need a kador strip as you can normally clip the figure of 8 strips over the gutter without needing to slide the bead in and out.
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:05 pm

Simon Jones wrote:You don't generally need a kador strip as you can normally clip the figure of 8 strips over the gutter without needing to slide the bead in and out.
Simon

I was about to ask the same question.

Just so I have it right in my head - leave the figure 8 attached to awning and unclip from gutter. Is it best to try and get 1 long length or do 2 or 3 shorter pieces work just as well?

Rich
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:58 am

A couple of shorter strips may be easier to sneck into place as well as store inside the van. I had to cut mine into 3 sections to fit round the pullout awning brackets fitted to the gutter and that worked fine with a Kyham Motordome awning.
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:38 am

OK thanks for that!
JoeC
Bongolier

Post by JoeC » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:40 pm

The more parts you use may result in any rain water dripping between the joins. Longer the better - store it in the roof when not in use.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:11 pm

We have found the pole system to work much better.

Our driveaway awning has a pole in a sleeve, it goes in nicely behind the aft brackets. Presuming you have an AFT - I find it very quick and it lifts the height by a small amount too which stops my head rubbing on it!
Parhelion
Bongonaut

Post by Parhelion » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:13 pm

I've just got an awning and thinking of using pole in sleeve. What sort of clamps are best? Do they have to be special awning ones or can you improvise? Thanks
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:20 pm

You don't actually *need* clamps - for most weather it is sturdy enough just put between then awning hooks that are underneath the AFT.

If it is particularly windy then I just use some strong spring clamps.

This sort of thing...

Parhelion
Bongonaut

Post by Parhelion » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:00 pm

Thanks - I've got a tin top but those clamps look fine. I've also just realised (doh!) :wink: how the figure of 8 strip works so could do that, although not sure where I can get a single strip the right length (as I've read that's better than 3 bits?) ? Are all fig of 8 strips the same size?

As always, this forum is so useful! Thank you

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”