Fiamma vw t3 brackets

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

bongowight
Bongonaut

Fiamma vw t3 brackets

Post by bongowight » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:33 pm

Have just bought a fiamma f35 to go on the van and bought the t3 vw brackets at the same time, they don't seem to quite fit properly although look like with a bit of fiddling they could work, are these meant to work as they are or are adjustments needed to fit a bongo? Looks like they need a bit of width removing and a bit off the s bracket piece to fit the gutter? I've seen posts saying both they fit as are and need adjusting does anyone know definitive answer? Once fitted is a drill through and rivet to the van an extra precaution worth taking?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Fiamma vw t3 brackets

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:45 pm

They're not a great fit but can be made to work with some fettling or by getting the position spot-on. There are some good posts on here showing them in place which should help.
bongowight
Bongonaut

Post by bongowight » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:16 pm

Would I be better to return them and buy something different Simon?
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:13 pm

This afternoon I looked at a Fiamma F45 Pro fitted to the gutter of a low top Bongo. It had T3 brackets and they were a snug fit, but he used some rubber filling at the rear of the brackets.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:03 pm

This was on an awning I fitted for someone and I believe it's the same VW fixing. This was the rear one which I found didn't make great contact with curve on the panel behind the n/s rear window.

This is the front one which I found was a bit wide so needed careful positioning on the B-pillar so as not to interfere with the opening of the passenger or sliding door.

Some people additionally bolt them to the bodywork to stop the whole lot bouncing around. There are not a great many alternatives to the VW brackets to choose from. AVA sell some which require screwing or bonding to the roof. I was fortunate that my first Bongo was fitted with Japanese brackets which fit really well and don't involve any drilling or damage to the bodywork. When I refitted them to the current van, I found out they were stainless steel underneath the flaky paint so cleaned up nicely.

briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:08 pm

The T3 brackets are fine. You may find that the gutter has to be bent a bit to make them fit properly.
The main problem is that over time the the gutter can flex and crack the paint. Easy fix is to put a stainless bolt through the bottom of each bracket like this.

bongowight
Bongonaut

Post by bongowight » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:42 pm

all fitted now, had a couple mm taken off the s bracket so it fitted neatly in the gutter, used silkaflex in the gutter and a stainless bolt through the bottom to hold all steady, seems to have done the trick and awning now in place, thanks all for the tips
bongowight
Bongonaut

Post by bongowight » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:26 pm

Quick night away, fair drive there and back and used the awning and all is still rock solid still so looks like the silkaflex and bolt have done the job, so nice to just pull the awning out when needed, great addition to the van
Weeduggy
Bongonaut

Post by Weeduggy » Fri May 13, 2016 7:26 pm

briwy wrote:The T3 brackets are fine. You may find that the gutter has to be bent a bit to make them fit properly.
The main problem is that over time the the gutter can flex and crack the paint. Easy fix is to put a stainless bolt through the bottom of each bracket like this.

The bolt you have through the bottom is it just to take up the slack? I'm trying to fit some to mine but when i tighten the bolt it seems to spring away from the body of the van and then the top is too close to the AFT. What do you use to stop it rubbing a hole in the side of the van?

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”