swivel seats - front. A Choice.

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

cmm303
Supreme Being

swivel seats - front. A Choice.

Post by cmm303 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:00 am

Are all front swivel seats the same or are there variations to look out for?

Being in the south, I notice that both Northstar Conversions (Southampton and Cowes) and New Dawn (Poole) provide swivel seats.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: swivel seats - front. A Choice.

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:17 am

cmm303 wrote:Are all front swivel seats the same or are there variations to look out for?

Being in the south, I notice that both Northstar Conversions (Southampton and Cowes) and New Dawn (Poole) provide swivel seats.
I thought New Dawn Conversions were based Walsall/Birmingham? Can't advise on differences/prices but it might be interesting to enquire of each direct?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:37 am

And I think New Dawn will be fitting swivel seats (by appointment) at the Bash.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:22 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
cmm303 wrote:Are all front swivel seats the same or are there variations to look out for?

I thought New Dawn Conversions were based Walsall/Birmingham? Can't advise on differences/prices but it might be interesting to enquire of each direct?
They are :oops: Got confused between New Dawn and Imperial Leisure :oops: Thanks for pointing that out Mike. Put paid to a cruise along the south coast checking out swivel seats. Any comments all the more valuable.
Chris with BertieB
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:48 pm

I know that New Dawn (Darlaston, Brummy), who invented the cab seat swivels, were doing work for North Star Conversions, Southampton/Isle of Wight, as well as for Phil at JAL. Dont know if Den is still doing that though.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:17 pm

Jillygumbo wrote:I know that New Dawn (Darlaston, Brummy), who invented the cab seat swivels, were doing work for North Star Conversions, Southampton/Isle of Wight, as well as for Phil at JAL. Dont know if Den is still doing that though.
Thanks Jilly. So it may be that all swivels start at New Dawn. Have you had swivels installed? :lol:
Chris with BertieB
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue May 02, 2017 5:48 pm

cmm303 wrote:
Jillygumbo wrote:I know that New Dawn (Darlaston, Brummy), who invented the cab seat swivels, were doing work for North Star Conversions, Southampton/Isle of Wight, as well as for Phil at JAL. Dont know if Den is still doing that though.
Thanks Jilly. So it may be that all swivels start at New Dawn. Have you had swivels installed? :lol:
On the passenger side only as I've got a full side conversion, ya know!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Wed May 03, 2017 1:24 pm

Jillygumbo wrote:I know that New Dawn (Darlaston, Brummy), who invented the cab seat swivels,...
I think you'll find that's copied, and improved. The design I drew up has been freely available since 2011, and was offered to North Star in 2012.

You always have the choice to download my drawings and make your own - but I'd incorporate the improvements North Star have adopted to the design.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed May 03, 2017 1:38 pm

dave_aber wrote:
Jillygumbo wrote:I know that New Dawn (Darlaston, Brummy), who invented the cab seat swivels,...
I think you'll find that's copied, and improved. The design I drew up has been freely available since 2011, and was offered to North Star in 2012.

You always have the choice to download my drawings and make your own - but I'd incorporate the improvements North Star have adopted to the design.
I wouldn't mind a copy Dave. I have seen your pictures of the mod what areas do you think need to be improved?
PM sent.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Wed May 03, 2017 1:48 pm

The drawings and a write-up are available on the Mazda Bongo facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/groups/2529055732/files/

The seats are held down when driving by skewering the upper (swivelling) bit to the lower (sliding back & froward) bit using 6mm rods slid through small tubular sections. On my original design, these are inserted from behind the seat.

From what I've seen of the New Dawn swivels, they are inserted in the other orientation (left/right not fore/aft) pushed in from the outside, through the open door. This is easier than leaning in behind the seat, as you push them in at waist height whilst standing next to the seat. This is in my opinion an improvement.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon May 08, 2017 8:12 pm

dave_aber wrote:The drawings and a write-up are available on the Mazda Bongo facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/groups/2529055732/files/

The seats are held down when driving by skewering the upper (swivelling) bit to the lower (sliding back & froward) bit using 6mm rods slid through small tubular sections. On my original design, these are inserted from behind the seat.

From what I've seen of the New Dawn swivels, they are inserted in the other orientation (left/right not fore/aft) pushed in from the outside, through the open door. This is easier than leaning in behind the seat, as you push them in at waist height whilst standing next to the seat. This is in my opinion an improvement.
Does this link work for anyone else using FB on a PC?
I just get link not found or something like that.
Do I need to have FB on my phone to get it?
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:10 pm

Bongolia wrote:
dave_aber wrote:The drawings and a write-up are available on the Mazda Bongo facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/groups/2529055732/files/

Does this link work for anyone else using FB on a PC?
I just get link not found or something like that.
Do I need to have FB on my phone to get it?
Link works for me; it goes to a closed FB group, Mazda Bongo Owners. It would be safe to assume that the link will only work if you already have access to the group.
I think FB opens in the browser on a phone if you don't have the app.

New Dawn have done my seats. Looking forward to seeing the difference they make camping.
Chris with BertieB
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue May 09, 2017 1:30 pm

I am on that group but link still no good from here. Cannot see why?

Heres what I get.
#
Sorry, this content isn't available at the moment
The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible to an audience that you aren't in.
Go back to the previous page · Go to News Feed · Visit our Help Centre

Any other way I can access it?
How do I get into "files" maybe I could trawl through to it that way.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:52 pm

Bongolia wrote:I am on that group but link still no good from here. Cannot see why?

Heres what I get.
#
Sorry, this content isn't available at the moment
The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible to an audience that you aren't in.
Go back to the previous page · Go to News Feed · Visit our Help Centre

Any other way I can access it?
How do I get into "files" maybe I could trawl through to it that way.
On a PC browser interface, go the group's home page, in the left column there are a series of options/links under the group name. Files is the bottom one, immediately above the "search this group" box.

I'm doing this on an iPhone 5: In the FB app, from the group home page, tap Info (last option on the right immediately below the group's sunset picture). Scroll down till you find the files option.
Chris with BertieB
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue May 09, 2017 2:00 pm

Chirs.
I haven't got that it stops at photos and I don`t have the phone app.
Looked in the Help section and it says that some areas are restricted and need admin or moderators permission.
So I presume there are access levels in the group?

Edit just selected create a doc and I now have the Files at the bottom of the list although when I enter it it shows "no Files" so I may be getting there [-o<

Nope, that is for me to upload a file. I think it must be a permissions thing. :(

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”