faulty tap

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

katem1303
Apprentice Bongonaut

faulty tap

Post by katem1303 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:53 pm

Help- I am not technical ! So far I have always used portable water bottles with my Bongo but i'm going abroad in 4 weeks- for a 2 month road trip and want to use the on board water tank. I had never used the tap. over winter I had the internal electrics and water tank checked, and as i drove off , the tap 'worked' ( was in on position apparently) and poured out some water-I switched it off. Since then it doesn't work at all - I can hear the micro switch click, but thats all- fuse seems ok. The places I have tried to get it looked at are booked til mid may - can anyone advise/explain how i could check what may be wrong and put it right? thanks from a single female wants to be practical and clean, camper! :)
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: faulty tap

Post by Gasy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:54 pm

Do you have a on board water tank ?
If so is there a switch for the tap
Sounds like the pumps seized
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:34 pm

Don't take this as patronising, please, but there is water in the tank?

That can catch any of us. :wink:

If you're coming down the M5 at the start of the trip I'll take a look. Close to J19/20 and could fit in with a stop over.

Things to check also include is there power to the pump and the earth good? Is there a pressure switch in the system which needs adjustment, has the pipe come off somewhere and dumping water where its not wanted?
katem1303
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by katem1303 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:05 pm

When theres water in the on-board tank ( sits under the floor) the tap doesnt work - as far as I am aware it should work when master switch is on?
ie rear circuits/fridge etc?
katem1303
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by katem1303 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:08 pm

Bob wrote:Don't take this as patronising, please, but there is water in the tank?

If you're coming down the M5 at the start of the trip I'll take a look. Close to J19/20 and could fit in with a stop over.

Things to check also include is there power to the pump and the earth good? Is there a pressure switch in the system which needs adjustment, has the pipe come off somewhere and dumping water where its not wanted?

Thanks Bob I may well take you up on that - in fact I am coming down the M5 over Easter weekend too (saturday)- driving back up Easter Monday- tho I appreciate you may well be away yourself!
katem1303
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by katem1303 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:11 pm

Bob wrote:Don't take this as patronising, please, but there is water in the tank?

pump... umm.... Im not sure its a pressurised/pump system - patronise away .... i dont know where to look - everythings hidden /screwed panels ..
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:13 pm

We're home, just back from Softies then we have Wonderwool Wales in a couple of weeks.

Not having children the Easter traffic is enough to keep us home, I'll PM you contact details.

Happy to take a look for you. :)
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:39 pm

It must be an Spring thing. The tap on ours stopped working. Microswitch clicked and seemed ok but it turned out that a wire had come unsoldered at the switch. If you have a multi-meter, test if a current is actually going to the tap and when 'on' the switch passes current. It was a darn fiddly job to fix.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:14 pm

Thing with a lot of camping gear is it doesn't get used for a few months over winter, problems develop then we discover them (all together) when we start using the gear in the new season.

So yes, a spring thing. :D
Kelvyn
Bongonaut

Post by Kelvyn » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:27 am

My whale pump has stopped working too!
getting power - and tap/switch is working, so i guess i'll have to replace it.
Vehicle Graphics, Signs & Print - http://www.ksdigital.eu
KTM 640 Adventure and Ford Freda
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:42 am

If the pump is failing to turn itself, before replacing it check to see if you can manually turn the impellor around a few times with say a long thin screwdriver. On mine I replaced it only to find that a quick spin with a screwdriver caused a thin little "stick" of something had got into the water and simply jammed it no need to replace at all !
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:22 pm

We've had a good look, power at micro switch and interior lights dim when tap lifted.

This seems to indicate the pump is getting power but not turning, so, does anyone know how to access the pump on a Wellhouse side conversion, please?

The scamp is well hidden, for sure, and I don't want to strip out more of the conversion than necessary.
Tessie
Bongolier

Post by Tessie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:00 pm

I have a Wellhouse side conversion but it was done in 2005 so may be older than yours. On mine the pump is an inline one and is only a few inches away from the outlet pipe of the water tank, which is underneath the Bongo where the side door is. If yours is the same [-o< it is very easy to get to \:D/
Never run out of road, traction and ideas at the same time.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:06 pm

Thanks, more looking then. :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:49 pm

Good news, Wellhouse have confirmed the pump is accessed from underneath the vehicle.

Just a case of getting a pump then any garage with a lift/pit should be able to sort it. 8)

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”