conversion plans

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

bongobearett
Bongonaut

conversion plans

Post by bongobearett » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:19 pm

anyone has plans to convert your bongo/freda, currently have a freda with kitchen pod , i saw plans on ebay to build your own conversion , i can no longer find them to purchase. any one can pop me in right direction or has plans to build your own.

Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: conversion plans

Post by Bongolia » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:14 pm

Currently in the prototype layout stage! :P
Heres my wardrobe and rear kitchen unit.
https://goo.gl/photos/gJ879KRv7W9VLPz56

Seriously, look at Redrocket`s posts in "show us your insides".
http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... et#p682911

This gentleman has a cutting machine and I am sure would be able to help try a PM he offered top cut mine when I get the layout sorted.
Did a great job on his as you can see.
bongobearett
Bongonaut

Post by bongobearett » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:22 am

cheers bud, we have tools ect my husband is really handy. on ebay it was a set of plans with dimensions ect. to self build .

thank you and good luck with your conversion .
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:12 am

Gotcha, I see what you are asking now, I misread your post.
Redrocket would still be a good bet if you like his install.
He would probably have plans for that layout.
bongobearett
Bongonaut

Post by bongobearett » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:25 am

cheers. looking to do the back conversion, currently have side kitchen unit, i like the kitchen at back with table and wee storage seats. thanks for all your help
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:02 am

Can you not turn the kitchen unit you already have around to the back
You can buy then storage seats separately
I'd be thinking of re figuring what you allready have
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:51 am

bongobearett wrote:cheers. looking to do the back conversion, currently have side kitchen unit, i like the kitchen at back with table and wee storage seats. thanks for all your help
And you cook can from outside too. Nicer in the summer. :)
bongobearett
Bongonaut

Post by bongobearett » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:38 am

yes that is our plans, kitchen unit has been cut out to fit side conversion. try first and see how it looks, build the side storage and the table, looking to see where we can purchase the swivel base for the back bench seat. swivel it round , or may be just change it get new seat belts.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:47 pm

May help.
If you are going to have the centre facing to the rear then you do not legally need belts.

This may give you another avenue of thought, we decided to keep the centre seat in the forward position and arrange the back as per your thinking, with the inclusion of a passenger swivel seat it would give , effectively, two areas one as the lounge and the rear as a cooking/changing area.You would have to slide/fold the centre seat forward to gain access to the rear area. The benefit is that you can have three comfortable seats opposing and a fourth useing the "dickie" seat.
You would need full length seat runners though and they would need to be cut down a bit.
Another benefit of this arrangement is that the centre seat can be folded down and with the fronts reclined you have two very comfortable beds. I tried sleeping in these and found them very comfortable surprisingly. Add to that a drawer under the centre seat and you will have additional storage for pots and pans and food too.
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:18 pm

HI,
We have our middle row reversed and have lap belts added - I drive my children (both of adult sizes admittedly) and their friends about, so wanted an element of safety. Also my insurance would only insure 'seat-belted seats' - they were happy enough with lap belts, but I had to have something. Finally, we go to France for the summer, where it isn't legal to travel in any seat without a seatbelt apparently.
They were easy enough to attach!
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:23 pm

janie wrote:HI,
We have our middle row reversed and have lap belts added - I drive my children (both of adult sizes admittedly) and their friends about, so wanted an element of safety. Also my insurance would only insure 'seat-belted seats' - they were happy enough with lap belts, but I had to have something. Finally, we go to France for the summer, where it isn't legal to travel in any seat without a seatbelt apparently.
They were easy enough to attach!
Where did you fix the lap belts to? Any issues with MOT etc?
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:40 am

Not sure where they're attached - I'll have a look.

No problems with MOT, no!

Jane

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”