Pop top roof for a tin top

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Yan
Bongonaut

Re: Pop top roof for a tin top

Post by Yan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:20 pm

Bob wrote:It would be a case of buying some of the plastic used for rear windows in soft top cars and sewing it in place, then cutting out the material.

Could be done but I wouldn't think its easy. :?
That's the kind of thing I was thinking...I can imagine a lot could go wrong very quickly and I'd wreck a perfectly good pop top (it would all seem fine until the rain comes!). I should ring a pop top installer or maybe even a marine place as they might do this kind of thing for boat canopies.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Both would be a good call, plus anyone who does sports car soft tops.

But I would think they will require the canvas removed to sew up on a machine. Someone may be willing to remove and refit the fabric, but obviously for a price £££. :(
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:14 pm

Jillygumbo wrote: One which seems to be rather popular is the Skyline Roof and with hindsight... Google them.
Found their website but looked as they only do them for the T5? :(

http://www.skylineroofs.co.uk/index.htm
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:11 pm

This guy seems to have Popped up on a few forms lately , he might be worth a call, and as he has done 3 conversions you could contact the customers for feedback.

http://www.bongoforum.me.uk/index.php/f ... rsion#1148

Good Luck.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:16 pm

rita wrote:This guy seems to have Popped up on a few forms lately , he might be worth a call, and as he has done 3 conversions you could contact the customers for feedback.

http://www.bongoforum.me.uk/index.php/f ... rsion#1148

Good Luck.
Good spot. It led me to another post of his:

http://www.bongoforum.me.uk/index.php/f ... rches#1112

..with pics of work being done on an old Bongo. Based in Mansfield so not too bad for OP location in Lincs. I'm still amazed anyone considers transplanting an AFT - not one for the faint hearted IMHO :shock:
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:42 pm

Ian wrote:Can you spell that link for me Jill?
Easier to google them Ian!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Eilidh&Andrew
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Eilidh&Andrew » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:06 pm

Hi there,
The new roof we're being supplied with doesn't have mesh vents or a window or any other means of ventilation. They've said that's because they rip easily but I don't know if it's just because they're cheaper to source... Any views on this? Thanks!!
Yan
Bongonaut

Post by Yan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:26 pm

Eilidh&Andrew wrote:Hi there,
The new roof we're being supplied with doesn't have mesh vents or a window or any other means of ventilation. They've said that's because they rip easily but I don't know if it's just because they're cheaper to source... Any views on this? Thanks!!
Really! I don't think there are many without windows that I've seen?

We have windows each side that are great for enjoying the view and circulating air when cooking. I can't see any problems with ripping. Obviously ones without windows will no doubt be stronger, but at the cost of not seeing the view...

Also when you sleep up there I think you need a bit of ventilation as it could get stuffy.

This is a view from our side window when we visited Fowey last year:

I've been asking about putting a bigger window at the end of our pop top as I want more view, but it looks like a very difficult thing to do once it's been installed. I would ask if you have options for windows and what the cost might be

I hope that helps!!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:40 pm

I've read several people saying they wished they had a ventilation zip in their pop top. I think convection ventilation is a big plus on a hot day. I don't buy the suppliers argument tbh. [-X
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:41 pm

Good points about windows and ventilation. I have been quoted for a pop top for my tin top bongo by G&P campervan conversions in Staffordshire. Has anybody on her used them? Any comments? please PM me if you prefer. They would be very convenient for ma as they are just down the road and seem a professional outfit.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:58 pm

Eilidh&Andrew wrote:Hi there,
If it's a JAL roof then the reason I was given was that it leaks with time! When I asked about the mushroom ventilation on the roof, I was told that it wasn't for ventilation, it was for when closing the roof so the air escapes easily.

As the roof boards are not in place when the roof is being lowered, then that explanation doesn't make sense.

Personally, I think it's probably a cheaper option for the fitter.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:59 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:I've read several people saying they wished they had a ventilation zip in their pop top. I think convection ventilation is a big plus on a hot day. I don't buy the suppliers argument tbh. [-X
My JAL skylift roof got so hot on hot days, I had 2 additional mushroom vents installed - at the highest point of the roof.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:29 pm

Jillygumbo wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:I've read several people saying they wished they had a ventilation zip in their pop top. I think convection ventilation is a big plus on a hot day. I don't buy the suppliers argument tbh. [-X
My JAL skylift roof got so hot on hot days, I had 2 additional mushroom vents installed - at the highest point of the roof.
Frustrating as if that hot air was allowed to rise and escape freely it would not only relieve the car of itself but in doing so would pull in air from low down openings like sliding door and tailgate, thus promoting convective cooling, a very effective phenomenon exploited in old Arab houses i seem to recall. The aftermarket roof fitters really should try and get their heads around this. Meanwhile that is one big plus with the original AFT.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:44 pm

How many old Arabs are you friendly with, Mike? :?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:11 pm

Bob wrote:How many old Arabs are you friendly with, Mike? :?
Not a good time in the world to be asking me that Bob #-o

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”