Internal v external water/gas supply

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

nobro
Apprentice Bongonaut

Internal v external water/gas supply

Post by nobro » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:13 pm

I have reserved a bongo with Jal in Worcester (though I live in Cornwall ). Phil recommends having an external water supply and I'm wondering what you guys thunk of that? Not sure about the gas supply - but the 47 inch bed with side conversion does not leave room for a gas bottle?
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: Internal v external water/gas supply

Post by Bongolia » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:29 pm

Usually it an R 907 bottle and that`s quite small but enough for a twin burner hob for a reasonable time.
If you have a wardrobe it is normally fitted under the shelf in the ones I have seen.

If he means an external tank like a water roller then yes I would be guided on that but if he means an external fill point for the water and an on-board tank I would check on what size of container/tank you will end up with.

Ours is external filler and about 15ltrs of which only twelve is usable because it is laid on its side. :roll:
With conservative use,and no washing up it lasts at best two days.
You can see the problem I am sure.
Having an outside filler means you either unhook EHU and awning and drive over to refill or take a water container to the tap get a funnel and fill the onboard tank that way. Which kind of defeats the object.
I would suggest 25ltrs min if on board that`s a fair bit of space.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:14 pm

I have a 10L water container in a cupboard under the sink. I chose 10L so that it's not too heavy to carry from the tap to the bongo. Lasts about 2 days with conservative use (kettle, rinsing) shorter if I'm also doing washing up in the bongo!

I don't have a grey waste container though as that would decrease the amount of space available inside. The drain pipe hangs underneath in front of the driver rear wheel and I shove a collapsible bucket under it.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:20 pm

Jillygumbo wrote:I have a 10L water container in a cupboard under the sink. I chose 10L so that it's not too heavy to carry from the tap to the bongo. Lasts about 2 days with conservative use (kettle, rinsing) shorter if I'm also doing washing up in the bongo!

I don't have a grey waste container though as that would decrease the amount of space available inside. The drain pipe hangs underneath in front of the driver rear wheel and I shove a collapsible bucket under it.

snap.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:38 pm

There's a lot to be said for a water container which you can take to the tap, be it stored inside or out.

Saves having to drive to the water point every time to fill up. 8)

Also easy enough to clean.
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:06 pm

I have an on board container - it used to e 10l but I changed it for a 25l one so that it lasts longer off site. I have a small watering can which I use to refill it rather than removing it every time it needs topping up.

I like not having to 'set up camp' - just drive in and drive away again!

Also useful when staying off campsites (on Aires in Europe or 'wild camping), but it depends on how you want to use your van I suppose.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:53 pm

We have on board water in two 12l containers stored side by side. When tank A is empty move pump to tank B. remove and fill A whenever. I also have a 5l bottle for the sliding door foot well (emergency kettle fill). A 40l rollypolly is a big thing to carry in a Bongo.
Joe_anne123
Bongolier

Post by Joe_anne123 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:36 pm

nobro wrote:I have reserved a bongo with Jal in Worcester (though I live in Cornwall ). Phil recommends having an external water supply ...
I'd take what Phil recommends with a pinch or salt, take your time and make up your own mind what will suit you. :)

I've got 2 water containers under my sink, one for fresh water, one for waste. It works pretty well for me being self contained as I like to use the Bongo as a day van and for impromptu stops as well as for longer stays on campsites.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:34 pm

Walk through the scenarios you anticipate using the Bongo for.
We love being able to park up and make a cuppa without fiddling around with outside water carriers.
We carry a smallish water container inside. Dead simple.
It does not last long if relying on it for all water usage but it is quick to fill up and easy to carry full which we find fine even at festivals and taps are a long way away.
On proper camp sites we wash and wash up in the loo blocks so our water usage is low and it lasts days.
It would become something to worry about if wild camping for more than a couple of nights.

Many of our friends use their sinks very little which reduces water usage.

We all do it differently but hopefully this helps you work out what is will be best for you.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:43 pm

cmm303 wrote:Walk through the scenarios you anticipate using the Bongo for.
We love being able to park up and make a cuppa without fiddling around with outside water carriers.
We carry a smallish water container inside. Dead simple.
It does not last long if relying on it for all water usage but it is quick to fill up and easy to carry full which we find fine even at festivals and taps are a long way away.
On proper camp sites we wash and wash up in the loo blocks so our water usage is low and it lasts days.
It would become something to worry about if wild camping for more than a couple of nights.

Many of our friends use their sinks very little which reduces water usage.

We all do it differently but hopefully this helps you work out what is will be best for you.
Good advice. Bongo set ups are as different as users and their needs. I tend to do much as you do (polythene jerry can filled before departure) and it works well for me.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”