Insulation for cold weather

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Alan2016
Bongonaut

Re: Insulation for cold weather

Post by Alan2016 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:19 am

No air compressor but I do have grinders and sanders :s
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:03 am

If you can borrow or hire an air compressor you should if you want to do a thorough job.
I will put together a post later and cover the process I am using in a bit more detail.
You simply cannot get into the box sections properly without one and you will need a bit of additional equipment too.
I am at the first wash out stage on mine so I will get some pics and leave the links later.
It may help.
Alan2016
Bongonaut

Post by Alan2016 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:17 am

Great stuff, looking forward to seeing it

Thanks

Alan
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:07 pm

I hope this not considered hijacking the original posters thread but they are related.

The vehicle I am repairing has extensive rusting. It has not been waxed at all so ironically that makes the work a little more straight forward.
I have listed the approach I will take on this repair.
It is messy and time consuming but look on it as an investment in peace of mind.
Prep.
Strip out the interior as far as is practical to allow access to all areas to treat.
Using a hose pipe wash out the box sections with water including all the interior ones like the roof sub assy and the pillars. I said it was messy.
Allow a few hours to drain.
Dilute the Fertan with 10% ish warm water.
While still wet/damp spray the Fertan into the cavities. Give particular attention to the seams and spot welded joints. If using the gun you will see the Fertan leaching between these joints.
Leave it 24/48hrs.
Using a hose pipe wash out all treated areas with water.
Chase out the remaining water with an airline blower if/where possible and leave a few days to dry out.
In my case I will repeat this process in stages later.
The Fertan will leave a coating on the rusted areas that can be painted over directly.
Paint over any rusted and repaired areas, I use Davids zinc paint for this.

Thin the first coat with cellulose thinner so it is a little thicker than water.
Preferably spray this on a point setting or with a lance into the seams and over the repairs , the thinner added will flash off quite quickly so you can second coat shortly afterwards with a full thickness of zinc. Keep a thinners soaked rag to wipe off any excess paint.
Immediately after clean out the gun if you are using one.

The idea of the thinned coat is to allow penetration of the seams and between the spot welded surfaces.
Now re-coat with zinc using it from the pot if brushing diluted if spraying. I try to leave seams and flanges with a thinner coat and I dont try to seal them with the paint, I want the wax to penetrate at these points.
Immediately after clean out the gun if you are using one.
Allow a day at least for the zinc to cure through.

Wipe off the panel you are fixing to with thinners on a cloth, keep turning the cloth.
Once the thinner has flashed off apply a generous amount of hi temp spray adhesive to the metal work and stick the shaped foil to that.
Bubble foil. The type I use has raised bubbles and will allow any moisture to track down between the bubbles that is why I leave it a bit short at the bottom.

Now wax the work with warmed/thinned wax ,use white spirit,paying particular attention to the seams.
Then carry on with the insulation fill as per my previous post.
Here is a link to my other thread covering this vans refurb. The last post covers the equipment I use. The gun, about 60 ukp, comes with probes and lances and can be used for all of the materials stated above. It has a spray gun nozzle fitting too. Just remember to thoroughly clean it after using it for the zinc.
http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... =3&t=72827
Any Q`s just ask.
Good Luck.
Alan2016
Bongonaut

Post by Alan2016 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:35 pm

Wow that is an awesome amount of information, thanks for taking the effort!

So the questions...

The zinc paint just goes over the treated areas, there is no benefit to just treating everywhere with it?

Is there any product that would be useful to treat the whole area with before sticking on the bubbles? I'm thinking something that might provide extra protection from any damp or should the original paint and be adequate (but if so then how does the rust start in the first place)

Do I use an edging tape around the bubbles before applying the wax? I am assuming I spray/apply the wax over the bubbles and any remaining body work and that ideally I want a waterproof seal along the tops and sides of the bubble if not the bottom?

Thanks again

Alan
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:46 pm

You could paint the panels as well if you wanted but personally I cannot see any reason to if not showing signs of rust. You will be sealing these areas with the wax coating in any case.

The areas that rust tend to be around welds, seams, joints in the panel work or where the coating has failed this can happen for a variety of reasons.
Painting behind the bubble could affect the adhesion of the bubble in hot weather.
Bear in mind you will have a rubberised coating behind the bubble in the form of the adhesive so apply it evenly,two passes for good measure.

There is no benefit in edging the bubble you can just spray the whole thing bubble as well or around the edges it makes no difference.
Alan2016
Bongonaut

Post by Alan2016 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:35 pm

OK great stuff. I'll buy in some bits and hopefully give it a go soon. We are off in the Bongo to Eskdale this week so it will have to wait until we get back :)

Thanks again

Alan
CheekyRich
Junior Bongonaut

Post by CheekyRich » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:31 pm

Thanks for all the replies on this thread guys... some great info on here and glad that some others are also looking to insulate vans for the great British winter. Life's been really busy these past few weeks but hope to crack on with this ASAP
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:33 pm

hello everyone
in relation to insulating the bongo , has anyone used the ATF topper a sold by comfort leisure ?
I know the bongoland shop sells a similar cover but only for the face lift model,they seem like a good idea for winter camping .
Thanks
Brian
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:24 pm

Merlot man wrote:hello everyone
in relation to insulating the bongo , has anyone used the ATF topper a sold by comfort leisure ?
I know the bongoland shop sells a similar cover but only for the face lift model,they seem like a good idea for winter camping .
Thanks
Brian
If this is the tenting you throw over the AFT before raising it then yes i have one and its great as extra protection against cold wind and rain. Never tried it in winter though but guess every little will help especially where wind is involved. I always carry it in case.
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:02 pm

Hello Mike
Ya that's the one ,it seems to go over the full ATF .
Am I correct in saying that they have an element of insulation in them ?
We have camped in a tent for the last number of summers and while the days are nice the nights can get quite cold, even in france :shock:
Im just looking at ways to make the bongo more comfortable and general insulation would be a good start !
Im sure the bongo has very little/ no insulation in the sides ,what products would people recommend here ? One of My big concerns is controlling condensation on the cold side i,e, the outside panels .
Thanks
Brian
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:59 pm

You can also fit in internal tent designed with thermal insulation in mind see the Factsheets for full construction details http://igmaynard.co.uk/download/rooftent.pdf
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:12 pm

As a stop gap I used 3 bubble insulation cut in three pieces. One forms the uptight at the front and has a slot for the eyebrow vent the other two are triangular and form the sides. Because its 3 bubble its fairly stiff and if you cut it accurately it can all be pushed into place and self supports. When travelling it lays flat in the roof void. works very well but looks a bit like a space ship when n it.
Pull it down during the day and wipe down if you want to.
Cheap and cheerful. :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:20 pm

I also did a diy tent inner liner when i first got the Bongo, sewn up using 10.5 tog duvet fill and reusable space blanket. Its very effective but bulky. The external cover is much more compact to carry and prevents driven rain from falling against the Bongo AFT tent as well as stopping wind getting under tbe eaves and stressing the roof. It also means the AFT tent doesn't keep banging against your head when its windy and you're sleeping up there. It also should stop the interior heating up so quickly when the sun hits the tenting. Clearly the large gap between inner and outer will allow convective currents that diminish effectiveness but overall i'd say its a very useful item. You can also carry a tent inner lining for max insulation!

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”