Insulation for cold weather

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

CheekyRich
Junior Bongonaut

Insulation for cold weather

Post by CheekyRich » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:19 pm

Hi

I would like to insulate my Bongo as much as possible so that it's as warm as can be for the winter and for any future travels. It's currently pretty stripped down with all the panels and headlining off and I can easily pull up the carpet.
What is the best way to go about doing this? I bought some silver thermal insulating "bubble wrap" from B&Q today with a view to putting this behind the panels (and possibly under the floor / on the roof). I went for 4mm thickness but there is also a 3mm thickness available. I'm guessing that it might be best to use a bit of adhesive to hold it in place if necessary under the panels / floor /wherever else it is fitted.

I'm aware that a warm van on a cold night might cause condensation so would like to do a good job all round, doing what I can to combat this too.
What is the best way to insulate the van? What can I do to mitigate condensation and the onset of corrosion? Should I waxyol all surfaces first before putting down the insulation (or use something else?) Is the bubble foil the best thing to use? I was thinking that unlike the loft wool insulation it will not hold the heat in summer so may be best. I'm also thinking about putting down a hard floor in the back - if I do this, how can I best insulate?

the insulation I picked up is similar to this:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Thermal- ... ch=&kword=

I've never done this before!

All advice and tales of your own experiences would be useful and gratefully received!

Thanks in advance guys

Rich
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Re: Insulation for cold weather

Post by the1andonly » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:56 pm

Waxoil on the inside before insulating

I've used a wool insulation (loft insulation from B&Q) actually a 50/50% mix of wool and synthetic, giving the best of both. Quality breathable insulation that does not trap condensation. Yes its lovely and toasty.
ps this was 3-4 yrs ago they may not have the same stuff.
window stuff:
We have thermal screens for a Ducato for the front and the sides and rear the seamstress made some from pound shop windscreen anti frost things (added some backing).
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:39 am

I havn`t completely insulated the Bongo yet but when I insulated my VW I used the following method to great effect.
triple weight foil insulation, cheaper by the roll than B&Q`s like this link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Biard-Double- ... 4qp4ghzh5A

Cut it to size and glue to body panels leaving a small gap at the bottom to allow moisture to run off.
Make sure you use a proper high temperature spray adhesive else come the hot weather it will detach. I used around 10 cans on the VW but that was a high top.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trimfix-Adhes ... x122KYyoWA

This is pretty much all you can use in the front doors and behind headlining etc. The bubble foil can be doubled up by sticking another layer on top if you wish.
Then thoroughly wax inside the panels and go with a wool mix fill like the previous poster, not paper, packed loosely into the voids.
Over the top of this I used polythene, actually cut bin liners ,but not too thick else the trim clips will be difficult to fix, place these over the voids containing the wool mix and stick it to the metal around the edges with gaffer tape torn into strips or non setting mastic you are aiming to seal the insulated area this will help keep the condensation down and protect the carded rear of the interior panels.
I used the VW all year round in freezing conditions and with the addition of thermal screens on the windows it would stay warm enough with just small amount of energy input.

The only real attempt so far at insulating the Bongo has been in the roof tent. For this I used the thermal bubble cut into three pieces ,two triangles for the sides and a rectangle for the end of the tent with the eyebrow vent. If you cut them slightly oversize they will self support against one another and when you travel they can be stored flat in the roof.
Under the mattress I have more bubble and covered this with stretch van carpeting material glued to the roof boards.If you choose not to glue the insulation here then I would use some anti slip matting else you will be sliding all over the place.

As for the condensation. If it is cold out then its difficult.
Minimize cooking inside the van, boiling kettles and the like. Try to keep the air inside warm but set the front windows down a nadge to allow some warm air to escape if you can afford the heat loss.

On the Bongo in the roof tent I have two moisture traps like these.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kontrol-Streaml ... umidifiers
They can be refilled and it is surprising how effective they are.
I hang one from a bent up coat hanger slotted into the sliding roof glass cover and the other at the end by the hinges.

As for on site heating, in the VW I had a Propex heater that was gas fueled but in the Bongo I have a small oil filled radiator that stands in the foot well of the sliding door and a rather noisy fan heater in case it turns really cold. Only any good if you are on EHU of course but I do have a pair of industrial strength hooded onesies that I put on in the evening and to sleep in. :D
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:29 am

They do a special insulation for under laminate flooring
B&q / wickes etc
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Alan2016
Bongonaut

Post by Alan2016 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:57 am

Great info thanks, I'm also wanting to do this. Just to clarify...
Bongolia wrote: Cut it to size and glue to body panels leaving a small gap at the bottom to allow moisture to run off.
Make sure you use a proper high temperature spray adhesive else come the hot weather it will detach. I used around 10 cans on the VW but that was a high top.
You're gluing this to the back of the panel (i.e. the bit you remove)?

Cheers

Alan
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:51 pm

No, glue it to the body panel,the metal work.
You can glue to the back of the trim panel as well if you wish to add extra insulation. On the VW I did this on the tailgate, sliding and front doors door in addition to the metal surfaces of those panels.
You will need to under cut it at the edges though to allow for the trim panel to fit flush.
The VW has flat trim/door cards.
Alan2016
Bongonaut

Post by Alan2016 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:37 pm

Ah OK thanks. So how does this work with the waxing? I assume if I wax the metal I don't then want to try and glue insulation to it? Sorry if I'm being thick :)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:53 pm

A completely different approach with a likely similar outlay or in reality probably less. Certainly less hassle.. would be a super high quality down sleeping bags and accessories. Plus multiple foil based mats on the bedding. (Though it of course does not insulate the vehicle for sitting around in in the day time)

A big difference can be made by getting the foil lined and insulated blinds all round.

I watched a TV programme yesterday with a bloke sleeping in a tree and it was 4 degrees outside and he said he was toasty warm in his sleeping bag/tent.

I usually sleep up in the tent and the coldest I have been up there it was 7C outside. I have cheap £20.00 sleeping bags, though I have a few and use 1 as a quilt. This year we both slept together inside the main body of the Bongo on a few occasions and the temperature was a massive difference inside. Much much warmer in the vehicle than the tent.

I would like to own one of these and do some winter Bongoing actually, seems a shame to have such a great vehicle and mainly use it for intended purpose for only 5-6 months.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Monsoon ... eeping+bag

That one above is probably over kill....these look more roomy and still seem good for 5C

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GeerTop%C2%AE- ... eeping+bag
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:16 pm

Alan2016 wrote:Ah OK thanks. So how does this work with the waxing? I assume if I wax the metal I don't then want to try and glue insulation to it? Sorry if I'm being thick :)
Hopefully it wont have been waxed already. [-o<
You stick your foil on first then wax then filling.
With the filling wool don`t over pack, its the air trapped that insulates.
If it is waxed then you could just go for the filling but it would not be as effective especially in the summer when you want to keep the van cool,
BongoBongo123 wrote:A completely different approach with a likely similar outlay or in reality probably less. Certainly less hassle.. would be a super high quality down sleeping bags and accessories. Plus multiple foil based mats on the bedding. (Though it of course does not insulate the vehicle for sitting around in in the day time)

A big difference can be made by getting the foil lined and insulated blinds all round.

I watched a TV programme yesterday with a bloke sleeping in a tree and it was 4 degrees outside and he said he was toasty warm in his sleeping bag/tent.

I usually sleep up in the tent and the coldest I have been up there it was 7C outside. I have cheap £20.00 sleeping bags, though I have a few and use 1 as a quilt. This year we both slept together inside the main body of the Bongo on a few occasions and the temperature was a massive difference inside. Much much warmer in the vehicle than the tent.

I would like to own one of these and do some winter Bongoing actually, seems a shame to have such a great vehicle and mainly use it for intended purpose for only 5-6 months.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Monsoon ... eeping+bag

That one above is probably over kill....these look more roomy and still seem good for 5C

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GeerTop%C2%AE- ... eeping+bag
Thats where me onsies come in,wife thinks I look like a teddy bear, so that helps with the keeping warm. She likes teddy bears. :wink:
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:21 pm

Looking further on Amazon there are loads of really warm designs. I tend to like the wider ones.. gets a bit claustraphobic in the coffin styles ones. Yeah I guess oneseys are good. I always find the cold nose and face the worst and have remedied that by having a fleece over my head either propped up a bit off my arm or whatever in practice that stops the cold face thing.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:39 pm

A fleece Hijab maybe the answer? :P
Alan2016
Bongonaut

Post by Alan2016 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:49 pm

Bongolia wrote:Hopefully it wont have been waxed already. [-o<
You stick your foil on first then wax then filling.
OK thanks so I'm actually waxing the foil once it is stuck down?

I do actually have a good winter sleeping bag I use when cycle camping but the Bongo is for family trips and it will be nicer if the whole thing is warm, at least when we have hookup.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:30 pm

That`s right.
Alan2016
Bongonaut

Post by Alan2016 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:16 am

OK I'm still trying to come up with the best way to do this and also minimise the chance of rust problems. Foil covered bubble wrap certainly seems to be well thought of so I will almost certainly go with that as a first layer if possible. My concern is that if I glue it straight on to the bodywork then any moisture that does manage to get behind it will be pretty well trapped and left sitting there for a long time. My rear arches have already been replaced once by the garage I bought the van from so I am not expecting a smooth totally rust free surface when I get the interior panels off and take a look. My initial plan had been to treat with Fertan and Waxoyl before insulating but this would make it impossible to then glue the foil to the bodywork. I am now considering using Por-15 as rust prevention on the body instead of Fertan/Wax. I believe that this will dry hard enough to then glue the foil to. Does this sound reasonable or am I better off just waxing as initially planed and forgetting about the foil (or putting the foil on the back of the interior panel after the wool?

Cheers

Alan
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:49 am

I can see your concern.
Have you an air compressor?

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”