Leaking Pipe under sink

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

cuchillo
Bongolier

Leaking Pipe under sink

Post by cuchillo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:07 am

Hello all,

Yes, its me again with the another issue I have after the conversion. This time its a leaking water pipe. :x

Any guidance on what kind of connector this is (never seen one like this before):

(Its connected to a Smev 9222)

As its from there that the water is leaking. I did try a Google image search but could not identify it.

Many thanks :)

Cuch
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Leaking Pipe under sink

Post by g8dhe » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:58 am

Would they be from these Push-Fit type systems - some smev spares site shows these https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/water ... m-and-12mm
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
cuchillo
Bongolier

Post by cuchillo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:46 pm

g8dhe wrote:Would they be from these Push-Fit type systems - some smev spares site shows these https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/water ... m-and-12mm
Many thanks!

Looks like its one of these:
https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/water ... nch-barbed

This is new "technology" to me! I am sure I knew an "olive" went into a compression fitting long before I knew it went into a cocktail! :oops:

Have pulled it out and re-seated it and run a couple of liters through it and so far so good.

Now, the next thing I noticed:

The white waste pipe seems to be jubilee clipped to a translucent pipe which in turn has then been slipped inside an outer black pipe with a bunch of silicone smeared around it.

The black pipe itself has some free play over the translucent pipe. I did not pull too hard in case it came apart. I did notice that it is a black pipe that exists the vehicle at the back.

Now, is this OK or should I do something to make the connection more secure? If so what?

Many thanks (again!) :D

Cuch
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:21 pm

Well there is no significant pressure in the waste pipe, and so long as there is a continuous drop to the final outlet there shouldn't be anywhere for water to gather and leak out, the only thing is there might be removable cap at the outlet which could cause waste to backup, on ours its more to prevent wind blowing backup the pipe as its not a water tight seal and drips if you forget to remove it!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
cuchillo
Bongolier

Post by cuchillo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:35 pm

g8dhe wrote:Well there is no significant pressure in the waste pipe, and so long as there is a continuous drop to the final outlet there shouldn't be anywhere for water to gather and leak out, the only thing is there might be removable cap at the outlet which could cause waste to backup, on ours its more to prevent wind blowing backup the pipe as its not a water tight seal and drips if you forget to remove it!
No, um, bottom plug ( :wink: ) on that pipe as far as I can tell as the water comes right out.

However, I had not considered the ingress of the colder outside air via the waste pipe as there is no trap in it! Time to stick the bung in the pipe till I actually need to use the sink! Thanks for the tip! :)

Cuch
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:45 pm

Them push fit fittings on the tap really require a insert inside the end of the pipe
There's loads of makes of them on market now ( speed fit etc)
If that's a 12mm caravan one
Search for a 12 mm pipe insert / stiffener
That will make the pipe circular and will seal better
The o rings inside fittings can be replaced if it's a or ing problem
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”